• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Patrick Stewart will reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

Tengri

I'm very excited about this. Insurrection was such a letdown on multiple levels, so having Stewart back again in any way is a dream come true. Hopefully his character won't be written as some cranky, disenchanted diplomat or admiral dragged down by Klingon or Romulan hijinks. Something optimistic about exploration, like TNG hopefully

(Not mine) Saw this over on io9 the other day and it tickled me a bit

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course it will only be available via the CBS streaming service. Gotta squeeze every penny out of trekkies. Love it, a series that's about a utopian future, but at the end of the day, it's just another product, another commodity for naïve schlubs to spend their money on. And they're talking about a shitload more trek shows that will eventually be released through the CBS on demand service. They're really milking this now. I'd consider subscribing just for the new Stewart series, but I think I will pass. It'll probably suck anyway, completely miss the point of Roddenberry's vision, like everything that's been made in the Trek name since the end of TNG. Will probably involve more plots about one-dimensional big bads bent on destroying the federation just because they can.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if other TNG cast members are in talks. I know Dorn had been trying to get a Captain Worf series off the ground for a while, but I guess that's not happening? Would be nice to see him back in some form though, even if just a guest spot.

Not sure how Troi and Riker will fit in, since they left the Enterprise at the end of Nemesis. And Data died, though they implied all of his memories had been implanted in B-4 in Nemesis.

I think Barclay should be chief engineer (maybe Geordi has been promoted to captain of his own ship by now) and it might be cool if Wil Wheaton comes back as an older Wesley, maybe even as Picard's new first officer. Wait, fuck Barclay. Bring back O'Brien as chief engineer.

While we're at it, it would be cool to see some Voyager characters appear in guest spots. I could even see one or two of them appearing as regulars. I always liked Vorik.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course it will only be available via the CBS streaming service. Gotta squeeze every penny out of trekkies. Love it, a series that's about a utopian future, but at the end of the day, it's just another product, another commodity for naïve schlubs to spend their money on. .
You know why they do this, of course. It's because those naive schlubs do in fact buy it. Imagine if they did not.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know why they do this, of course. It's because those naive schlubs do in fact buy it. Imagine if they did not.

Hey, I don't buy it. Actually, the moment where I got really jaded with Star Trek was back in the 2000s when all of the series and films were being released on DVD. I remember one season of TNG costing over 60 dollars. That is insane, I don't know if I've ever seen a lot of DVD sets cost that much.

Tengri

I wonder if other TNG cast members are in talks. I know Dorn had been trying to get a Captain Worf series off the ground for a while, but I guess that's not happening? Would be nice to see him back in some form though, even if just a guest spot.

Not sure how Troi and Riker will fit in, since they left the Enterprise at the end of Nemesis. And Data died, though they implied all of his memories had been implanted in B-4 in Nemesis.

I think Barclay should be chief engineer (maybe Geordi has been promoted to captain of his own ship by now) and it might be cool if Wil Wheaton comes back as an older Wesley, maybe even as Picard's new first officer. Wait, fuck Barclay. Bring back O'Brien as chief engineer.

While we're at it, it would be cool to see some Voyager characters appear in guest spots. I could even see one or two of them appearing as regulars. I always liked Vorik.
I haven't read anything specific yet, either. Those are all pretty reasonable guesses. Data was Picard's pet project; it would be a total shame if they didn't retcon his character in some way - maybe add a dash of Borg for kicks. I could see Guinan (and way less likely, Kirk) since they're both technically still trapped in the Nexus. It wouldn't be surprising if Q made a cameo, given his status as very irritating and immortal. Klingons are completely rebooted, so I don't know how Worf could be worked back in...with our luck, it'll be a 2-episode special about Nelix and Quark running a kitchen together

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't read anything specific yet, either. Those are all pretty reasonable guesses. Data was Picard's pet project; it would be a total shame if they didn't retcon his character in some way - maybe add a dash of Borg for kicks. I could see Guinan (and way less likely, Kirk) since they're both technically still trapped in the Nexus. It wouldn't be surprising if Q made a cameo, given his status as very irritating and immortal. Klingons are completely rebooted, so I don't know how Worf could be worked back in...with our luck, it'll be a 2-episode special about Nelix and Quark running a kitchen together

I think they should ignore Discovery and keep the Klingons consistent with their portrayal in TNG and DS9 for this series

Tengri

Yeah, I agree. I haven't watched either of the series since Voyager, so I don't entirely understand how and why they changed so much. It's another alternate timeline, I suppose. Blame Spock

Delaune

Yeah, I agree. I found this amazing D-Bal Max review and haven't watched either of the series since Voyager, so I don't entirely understand how and why they changed so much. It's another alternate timeline, I suppose. Blame Spock
This news has single-handedly hyped me up for Star Trek again. I just hope the writing does it justice. Somehow, I'm extremely skeptical, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Last edited:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don’t think that the show is culturally relevant- or even acceptable- anymore.

Back in the sevenaries it was very progressive becacause it championed unity through acceptence and intergration of all people through the common goal of universal peace.
Sadly, that is not how the future turned out and I’m afraid that every single contingiency is going to pick a character they can relate to and rail against the writers for anything they disagree with.

I hope that I am wrong.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Data was the best big brother.

Don’t forget Worf too. Or maybe he was boyfriend material? Which makes Wesley the annoying younger cousin who all the adults brag on.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don’t think that the show is culturally relevant- or even acceptable- anymore.

Back in the sevenaries it was very progressive becacause it championed unity through acceptence and intergration of all people through the common goal of universal peace.
Sadly, that is not how the future turned out and I’m afraid that every single contingiency is going to pick a character they can relate to and rail against the writers for anything they disagree with.

I hope that I am wrong.
Think of the strife and divisions in the 60s. In a lot of ways it was actually worse then. I think we need something in the spirit of the original series and TNG now more than ever. There were trolls back then, they just didn’t have an Internet

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If this is another CBS all access thing, forget it. As tickled as I am by this, it's not enough to get me to pay for another streaming service with only two shows of interest.