• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Patrick Stewart will reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
But what I've expressed isn't an opposing view.

I didnt read it as such. But you like talking about Star Trek and writing. why not form a club that provides an excuse to add snacks and conversation to that?
not opposing, just :thinking: through a mirror darkly ::happy2: (how great is the mirror universe) like I watch tng and I view picard as a cranky loner who's bothered by the countless little social things he has to deal with as Captain of a Starship. Like a charming and competent Basil Fawlty, that this whole boldly going would be so much easier without all the pesky people in the galaxy. It was immesnely satisfying. Because his crew was so emotional and wanted to intermingle their personal and professional lives, which I always read as uncomfortable for Picard. MY favorite aspect of his character is his time with Vash. Though I'll never understand why he didnt run away with her.

For me Sisko was a dad, and that really speaks to my daddy issues. I do think they handled his character inconsistently. I never really bought his rivalry with Michael Eddington. I get why they did it from a story perspective, but it was like it belonged to a different character. It was trying to make a Kirk and the Klingons kind of rivalry, where it wasnt really nessesary, sure Eddington had a punchable face, but Sisko had this inexplicable bee in his bonnet about the maqui I never understood it. :shrug:

rav3n

I didnt read it as such. But you like talking about Star Trek and writing. why not form a club that provides an excuse to add snacks and conversation to that?
not opposing, just :thinking: through a mirror darkly ::happy2: (how great is the mirror universe) like I watch tng and I view picard as a cranky loner who's bothered by the countless little social things he has to deal with as Captain of a Starship. Like a charming and competent Basil Fawlty, that this whole boldly going would be so much easier without all the pesky people in the galaxy. It was immesnely satisfying. Because his crew was so emotional and wanted to intermingle their personal and professional lives, which I always read as uncomfortable for Picard. MY favorite aspect of his character is his time with Vash. Though I'll never understand why he didnt run away with her.

For me Sisko was a dad, and that really speaks to my daddy issues. I do think they handled his character inconsistently. I never really bought his rivalry with Michael Eddington. I get why they did it from a story perspective, but it was like it belonged to a different character. It was trying to make a Kirk and the Klingons kind of rivalry, where it wasnt really nessesary, sure Eddington had a punchable face, but Sisko had this inexplicable bee in his bonnet about the maqui I never understood it. :shrug:
IMO, Picard was all about integrity to principles, ones that I can respect. He was also a very kind, intelligent and gentle man where violence was a last resort if absolutely necessary.

Sisko flipped back and forth, around and around. He would play people, to get his way. I can't respect someone like that, particularly someone who's a leader.

The Cat

Staff member
IMO, Picard was all about integrity to principles, ones that I can respect. He was also a very kind, intelligent and gentle man where violence was a last resort if absolutely necessary.

Sisko flipped back and forth, around and around. He would play people, to get his way. I can't respect someone like that, particularly someone who's a leader.

I'm just a plain simple tailor, I'm sure I wouldnt know, though I do overhear a few things while Im hemming trouser, so I'm not really in any postion to throw stones. Having served in the military, I dealt with leaders like Picard, and like Sisko. I'd much rather follow Sisko into battle than Picard, (which is not a slight on picard or a bolstering of Sisko. In my experience most leaders tend to me more like Gul Dukat. Though again, I'm not sure Im in any particular place to judge. I've done my share of what more idealistic people might call questionable, but it was extremely nessesary at the time. I don't enjoy the idea of shooting a man in the back, but it is the safest way in my experience. War is a messy ugly business.

rav3n

I'm just a plain simple tailor, I'm sure I wouldnt know, though I do overhear a few things while Im hemming trouser, so I'm not really in any postion to throw stones. Having served in the military, I dealt with leaders like Picard, and like Sisko. I'd much rather follow Sisko into battle than Picard, (which is not a slight on picard or a bolstering of Sisko. In my experience most leaders tend to me more like Gul Dukat. Though again, I'm not sure Im in any particular place to judge. I've done my share of what more idealistic people might call questionable, but it was extremely nessesary at the time. I don't enjoy the idea of shooting a man in the back, but it is the safest way in my experience. War is a messy ugly business.
TNG wasn't about war. It was about peace.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The humanity of Picard came out in so many subtle ways. I loved how they gave glimpses of him, sufficient to get a bead on who he was.

They wrote Sisko with the subtlety of a 2x4. Grumpy, manipulative and an all around E-mo decision maker.

What are your thoughts on Kirk? Independent of however you may feel about William Shatner? When I was a very little kid in the late 80s, I was actually partial to Kirk. I think Picard took a while to grow on me but I really loved him after Inner Light and Chain of Command

Though technically, Spock held rank of Captain in most of the movies, and I’d pick him over Kirk

The Cat

Staff member
What are your thoughts on Kirk? Independent of however you may feel about William Shatner? When I was a very little kid in the late 80s, I was actually partial to Kirk. I think Picard took a while to grow on me but I really loved him after Inner Light and Chain of Command

Though technically, Spock held rank of Captain in most of the movies, and I’d pick him over Kirk

I enjoyed Kiik in the movies. The firt ST film I saw was V in the theater.

rav3n

I try not to think about Kirk or Shatner, albeit Chris Pine's Kirk was tolerable in the first reboot movie.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cat

Staff member
I try not to think about Kirk or Shatner, albeit Chris Pine's Kirk was tolerable in the first reboot movie.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesnt sound like the raven I remember for the old days. Retirement has made you soft ;) The old Raven could always agree more, because she had the guts, the glory to get it done. :pumpyouup:

rav3n

That doesnt sound like the raven I remember for the old days. Retirement has made you soft ;) The old Raven could always agree more, because she had the guts, the glory to get it done. :pumpyouup:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will this do the job?

The Cat

Staff member
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will this do the job?

I knew you still had the chops. :hug: Go get em Tigress!

The Cat

Staff member
Though I would like to see Worf and Martok making the Empire and the Federation work together...

- - - Updated - - -

It would have been set on a Klingon ship

I would watch that for days especially if Martok was in it. I loved the Klingon segments in Ds9

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Though I would like to see Worf and Martok making the Empire and the Federation work together...

- - - Updated - - -

I would watch that for days especially if Martok was in it. I loved the Klingon segments in Ds9

DS9 is the series that made so many of the various races more dynamic and interesting

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This shit is light years beyond GoT writers' level of incompetence.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched episodes 2 & 3 last night, I'll probably catch up on the others this weekend. Currently I'm kind of interested in it, kind of feel nothing towards it. The look and feel of it is more modern in the sensibilities, but just like with the Discovery opening credits, this opening credits "feels mature" while not clearly encapsulating the show... it's just pretty, abstracted graphics that belong in a picture book without a clearly identifiable musical fingerprint but that seems to be the network's thing nowadays.... and yet when you get into episode itself, it just feels like TNG updated with today's sensibilities.

I have to say, they certainly did not lose the Trek technobabble factor -- when they're scanning Daj's room for evidence, there's a lot of talk being thrown around that sounds like made-up science on the fly. It's kind of amusing in the sense of technical-sounding Doctor Seuss speak would be.

The episodes feel short to me, maybe because I've gotten used to hour-long episodes with all the cable shows I watch -- I'm watching on a stream without commercials and I was surprised both times when episodes ended.

There are some things I like, I like that they lean into Picard's idealism to the point where sometimes he leaves himself open to shady characters. He actually seems in need of a crew, just to help him counter-balance his own personal ways of looking for the best in others. He totally gets blind-sided by the one person he goes to deal with. I like there are people actually pissed off at him because of the fallout from some of his personal crusades he built off his own personal integrity that got everyone bit in the butt. I like mild callbacks to old TNG characters, especially following up on what happens when beings are removed from the Borg collective (which we all need to remember Picard was one of himself for a bit, although not as lengthy as some). And I always forget how badass the Romulans are physically in the post-TNG world cosmos, I just rewatched Star Trek (2009) last night and it's the same thing -- they look like vulcans in some way (just bulkier) but physically both genders can beat humans senseless because they are just so ramped up. I like seeing Allison Pill in something again as well. And the artificial people appearing in the retelling of I assume the sabotage were pretty creepy, it was a crazy scene.

But like I noted above... I don't really feel much. I can see all the setups for villains and heroes, and the show is put together nicely, but I am just having trouble caring much about it or the people so far. I felt this way in general with Discovery Season 1 and most Trek series in general after TNG, and even with TNG on revisits now I tend to not care as much as I did when it was airing. I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it because it all feels like they are working from a story and character template, more overtly than most series? Or that everyone has to remain controlled and reserved, except in carefully designed outbursts? Not sure how to express it. I did remember being surprised at the F-bomb I think I heard -- I mean, I was so surprised, now I'm questioning whether I heard it, but that's still somewhat cosmetic.

The Cat

Staff member
I watched episodes 2 & 3 last night, I'll probably catch up on the others this weekend. Currently I'm kind of interested in it, kind of feel nothing towards it. The look and feel of it is more modern in the sensibilities, but just like with the Discovery opening credits, this opening credits "feels mature" while not clearly encapsulating the show... it's just pretty, abstracted graphics that belong in a picture book without a clearly identifiable musical fingerprint but that seems to be the network's thing nowadays.... and yet when you get into episode itself, it just feels like TNG updated with today's sensibilities.

I have to say, they certainly did not lose the Trek technobabble factor -- when they're scanning Daj's room for evidence, there's a lot of talk being thrown around that sounds like made-up science on the fly. It's kind of amusing in the sense of technical-sounding Doctor Seuss speak would be.

The episodes feel short to me, maybe because I've gotten used to hour-long episodes with all the cable shows I watch -- I'm watching on a stream without commercials and I was surprised both times when episodes ended.

There are some things I like, I like that they lean into Picard's idealism to the point where sometimes he leaves himself open to shady characters. He actually seems in need of a crew, just to help him counter-balance his own personal ways of looking for the best in others. He totally gets blind-sided by the one person he goes to deal with. I like there are people actually pissed off at him because of the fallout from some of his personal crusades he built off his own personal integrity that got everyone bit in the butt. I like mild callbacks to old TNG characters, especially following up on what happens when beings are removed from the Borg collective (which we all need to remember Picard was one of himself for a bit, although not as lengthy as some). And I always forget how badass the Romulans are physically in the post-TNG world cosmos, I just rewatched Star Trek (2009) last night and it's the same thing -- they look like vulcans in some way (just bulkier) but physically both genders can beat humans senseless because they are just so ramped up. I like seeing Allison Pill in something again as well. And the artificial people appearing in the retelling of I assume the sabotage were pretty creepy, it was a crazy scene.

But like I noted above... I don't really feel much. I can see all the setups for villains and heroes, and the show is put together nicely, but I am just having trouble caring much about it or the people so far. I felt this way in general with Discovery Season 1 and most Trek series in general after TNG, and even with TNG on revisits now I tend to not care as much as I did when it was airing. I can't quite put my finger on it.

nostalgia is failing you as you grow beyond it. Welcome to beyond the final frontier.