• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Patrick Stewart will reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard

rav3n

Discovery was a major disappointment where I gave up on it in s01ep10. I think the world needs an injection of TNG and who better to be the hypodermic needle than the Stewart Picard.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if the episode turns out to be an allegory against torrenting, given how Star Trek tends to deal with contemporary issues? Then Picard will be mad at me.

XD if they do episodes about torrenting then I’ll shit my pants. I would think Picard would understand, because he broke the rules, when it really mattered. As long as you have an elaborate speech on why you are doing the right thing, he should understand. Just use words like “principles”, “duty”, “honor”, and “dignity” and he should understand

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Discovery was a major disappointment where I gave up on it in s01ep10. I think the world needs an injection of TNG and who better to be the hypodermic needle hypospray than the Stewart Picard.

I fixed that for you.

*adjusts pocket protecter*

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doesn't look good. Will wait and see. But looks like more of the same from what's leaked so far.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's nothing wrong with Trek being political and topical. They've been doing that since the 60s and it's one of the things that made the franchise last, IMO.

I think where the producers of Discovery (and Picard, by the looks of it) made a mistake is in making trek partisan. Old school trek brought up topical, politically relevant issues, but usually they left it somewhat open-ended so viewers could think about it and make up their own minds. Nu Trek doesn't do that. It just presents one partisan viewpoint and tells the viewer that's the right viewpoint. It's condescending and many Trek fans are intelligent enough to understand when they're being pandered to, even if they might agree with the partisan narrative being shoved down their throats. The fun is in the discussion and openendedness where they can make up their own minds or find nuance. Nu Trek doesn't really leave any room for that. So much for IDIC.

By all means, make it political, just don't make it partisan. There's a distinction but unfortunately it seems the current people making Trek don't understand the difference. It also makes the longevity of the nu trek questionable.

I respect Stewart, but he ought to know better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, they already green-lighted a second season of Picard before the first one aired, so it looks like you'll get even more time to evaluate.

Is STD season 2 worth watching? I had bailed after the disappointment of Season 1.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, they already green-lighted a second season of Picard before the first one aired, so it looks like you'll get even more time to evaluate.

They've supposedly greenlit a lot of trek productions that haven't been heard from since. One of those videos went into that a bit. They were reportedly releasing a spinoff series about Section 31, but no word of that since. If Picard does abysmal, this might be the last we hear of season 2. Although my prediction is that enough people will subscribe and watch to justify a second season. But it had better live up to expectations or it will lose a big chunk of viewers after the first season, and streaming numbers for season 2 will drop off drastically. So if anything, I think people should be wondering if there will be a season 3 of Picard. Stewart's presence alone won't be enough to ensure this series' success.

Is STD season 2 worth watching? I had bailed after the disappointment of Season 1.

Not worth it enough to justify subscribing to CBS. Maybe worth it if you don't mind pirating it (not saying I would ever do that) and the fact you'll never get the time back spent watching it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would watch this for sure but I'm not paying for another streaming service.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would watch this for sure but I'm not paying for another streaming service.

I don't. :blush:

If I end up really liking something, though, I typically end up buying it on disc..

Not worth it enough to justify subscribing to CBS. Maybe worth it if you don't mind pirating it (not saying I would ever do that) and the fact you'll never get the time back spent watching it.

Yeah, I am allowing myself to bug out of things I am not enjoying. I just canned Gemini Man 2/3 of the way through the other day, and I have probably quit 4-5 films after about 20 minutes in because I didn't like them.

There seems to be a lot of viable options nowadays of how to spend one's time (viewing wise), so it's not like we're "stuck" with subpar narratives.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't. :blush:

If I end up really liking something, though, I typically end up buying it on disc..

Yeah, I am allowing myself to bug out of things I am not enjoying. I just canned Gemini Man 2/3 of the way through the other day, and I have probably quit 4-5 films after about 20 minutes in because I didn't like them.

There seems to be a lot of viable options nowadays of how to spend one's time (viewing wise), so it's not like we're "stuck" with subpar narratives.
I remember I gave up on The L Word like 2 episodes into their final season. It had been downhill since the 3rd season.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like it's Insurrection-Nemesis: The Series

Picard spent a good deal of Insurrection bitching about Starfleet losing its way, even though he'd had no problem relocating a small population of people to serve the greater good in an earlier TNG episode (Plinkett amusingly joked how Picard didn't mind too much relocating non-white native americans in that episode, but was up in arms and ready to resign over some white aliens being relocated in Insurrection; that said, it did make for a cool speech when he chewed out that Admiral Doherty dude--Stewart always excels at those sort of 'angry young old man' speeches). Nemesis was loaded with pointless just-because-we-can action set pieces like Picard's stupid dune buggy chase, or Riker fist fighting the vampire alien guy on the catwalk over some inexplicable giant chasm on the Enterprise. We blame JJ and Kurtzman for a lot of this crap, but I think it began back with the TNG movies.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, I've seen the defense that the dystopian vision of Trek we have gotten lately is because Trek has always been topical and reflective of current events, so it's reflecting how much worse the world is now than in the 60s or in the 80s. But really, by so many metrics, it's not worse, and in many ways is better, so I don't really buy that argument.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I mind dystopian as much as I mind repetitive or uncreative writing. I'll go as dark as necessary, if something actually makes me think / involves me mentally or feels "real."

Ah yes- James T Picard, I mean Jean-Luc. Honestly, I liked Picard because he wasn’t Kirk. I also liked Kirk because he wasn’t Picard. Sisko, Janeway, Archer- all different too. I think that was the point. No one wants Kirk 2.0 because there’s only one Kirk.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I don't think I mind dystopian as much as I mind repetitive or uncreative writing. I'll go as dark as necessary, if something actually makes me think / involves me mentally or feels "real."

totally. I love the idea of dystopian Star Trek and Dystopian Star Wars.

What I'm not down for is being lectured from behind the camera because someone writing the show only has what their embittered college professors and their social media trending experts tell them to think. that's counter productive to science fiction.

Don't try to castrate my imagination while telling me it's a handjob. :nono:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah yes- James T Picard, I mean Jean-Luc. Honestly, I liked Picard because he wasn’t Kirk. I also liked Kirk because he wasn’t Picard. Sisko, Janeway, Archer- all different too. I think that was the point. No one wants Kirk 2.0 because there’s only one Kirk.

Yeah. The movies did try to turn Picard into more of a man of action type of action hero. Went against type. I mean they had Riker and Worf, you think they'd get more of the action setpieces, but perhaps Stewart had it in his contract that he needed maximum screen time. Also still angry we never got a scene where Kirk meets Riker or Worf in Generations. I feel like Riker would be a big fan of Kirk and enjoy the opportunity to hang with the OG

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well it worked when DS9 or even Enterprise suggested Starfleet wasn't quite a shining beacon, because there were intelligent writers and there was still some grey area, viewers generally left to come to their own conclusion. "In The Pale Moonlight" did a good job of this. Trek always bordered a little on preachiness, but seems like new Trek is a little more preachy and wants viewers to accept one message as a foregone conclusion. It's condescending IMO.

I don't care how big a tool McFarlane is, this is one area where Orville gets it right. Can't wait for season 3.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Yeah. The movies did try to turn Picard into more of a man of action type of action hero. Went against type. I mean they had Riker and Worf, you think they'd get more of the action setpieces, but perhaps Stewart had it in his contract that he needed maximum screen time. Also still angry we never got a scene where Kirk meets Riker or Worf in Generations. I feel like Riker would be a big fan of Kirk and enjoy the opportunity to hang with the OG

It made sense with the borg, but I think he should have cooled off afterward, and they just shouldnt have made nemesis