• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Wonka is your favorite?

Pick your Fave Wonka.

• Dahl

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Wilder

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Depp

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Personally I like the Dahl and Wilder versions as they seem more in the spirt of what Wonka is all about. Like how can you not like this song :D. I couldn't get with Depps Wonka for some reason he just didn't capative and inspire me the way the two others did.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gene Wilder's portrayal gives the character a sense of charm and whimsy, whereas Johnny Depp's version just comes across as creepy and embittered -- in the Tim Burton version, the way they attempt to convey Wonka's eccentricity to the viewer just makes it all feel so contrived.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depp...more entertaining on a deeper psychological level.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no other votes for dahl so far?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wilder, by a long shot. I read Dahl, it was a children's book without a lot of very deep characterization so there was less to be attached to in it as far as that was concerned.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't really remember the book, but I liked the first movie much better than the remake. Wilder is likeable, Depp as Wonka just didn't work.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gene Wilder's portrayal gives the character a sense of charm and whimsy, whereas Johnny Depp's version just comes across as creepy and embittered -- in the Tim Burton version, the way they attempt to convey Wonka's eccentricity to the viewer just makes it all feel so contrived.

Pretty much this. Wilder's portrayal gave a glimpse of sparkle and inner joy and childlike delight and optimism and hope, Depp just came across as eccentric in a non-joyful way, creepy and inner cynicism.

Edit: I'm *pretty* sure I read the book as a child, but that was a long time ago and I don't have any memory of the depiction of Wonka.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Probably Wilder's. It's interesting how Depp's version tells the story from Wonka's point of view versus Charlie's in the original, and I like all the psychological elements. The character himself though is just uncomfortable to watch, the way he says "Ewww" and his pasty character design and the way his humor ranges from "so bad it's good" to cringy. Wilder's Wonka, he didn't have the characterization to watch develop but he's what I think of when I think of "Wonka-ness". Whimsical and capturing that childlike wonder, but also savage. Ironically, most of the other characters I like better in the Depp version(Augustus, Violet, Mike, the Grandpa-although Charlie and Veruca, their 1971 counterparts have way more personality). I've never read the book, so I can't comment on that.

Jaguar

3pCb9a6

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never read the book. Voted Wilder, not only because he rocked it but also because I'm sure he served as some inspiration for Depp and he should get credit for that also.