• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Second languages

Kas

Fabula rasa
I meant what schools aim at. So it sounds like it's less than fluency. Does this include the second language, for those who didn't go on to become a translator?

In Poland it's also two languages in school. Level of proficiency depends a lot on school you went to. But I would say B1-B2 for the second language and A2-B1 for the third language is what schools aim at. I studied English and German, but as my fault I don't remember practically anything of the second one. In my high school at beginning you had language tests and were put to group with kids with similar language skills (linking 3 classes). Linguistic classes had separate lessons, more hours. There were also extra classes of Russian and Spanish for those interested.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mi segunda lengua es español. No ya tengo fluidez y necesito practicar más. Estudio la lengua en la universidad. Pienso que escribir y leer español es más fácil. Escuchar es el parte de la lengua más difícil para mi. En el futuro, quiero aprender japonés también.

Translation: My second language is Spanish. I'm not fluent yet and I need to practice more. I study the language in university. I think writing and reading Spanish is easier. Listening is the hardest part of the language for me. In the future, I want to learn Japanese as well.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
My first language is Bahasa Indonesia. I began studying English as my second in Junior high school with additional hours on private English course after school hours. The reasons why I studied English are: national educational compulsory, and later academic reason :most of university text books are written in English. I learnt Arabic also only to read the Koran in my childhood. But I am not an Arabic user in four traditional language skills: reading comprehension, writing, speaking, listening. Just since A couple of months ago, I have decided that I am going to study Russian, since after doing some little research, somehow I found what I call "personality matching" with their craft1 craft2culture, with variety and opportunity to learn I can hardly find any other comparable in anywhere else on the globe.Other countries may have also the tradition like in Pakistan, They have Copper craft, and also I am well informed that China has traditional China ceramics. However, unlike Russia who opens academy of folk art to study the art, the question whether They -Pakistan and China- have it also unfortunately remains unanswered to me. IMO, in Russia, Craftsmanship somehow survives so as a craft hobbyist I can probably expect somewhat the same If I were there. Another reason is that Russian is among languages that has unique Calligraphy tradition.
The challenge that I face here is that private Russian course is a lot harder to find if we compare it to English.
Russian also become the language that I am going to learn perhaps because of this also
My craft e.g https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/63474-typoc-gallery-share-art-15.html#post3153400

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't speak a second language. I've started learning Spanish before but ended up stopping when I wasn't doing it in school anymore. Started teaching myself Korean but also fell off on that too. So I think Spanish and Korean are the languages I'd want to be fluent in, but that'll take a lot of dedication (which I struggle with).

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Second language: english
Third one: french, B2 level, studied it in school for years.
I've occasionally studied russian and arabic as well for fun, because they have such different grammatical systems, and spanish in middle school because it was compulsory. I plan on picking up german soon, it's a useful skill in my field. Apparently, I also don't really like studying romance languages in spite of the B2 in french, they're too boring and similar to my first language to me.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have the capability and knowledge to understand essentially any modern conversation in Tagalog, but I don't have the confidence in speaking it due to my poor accident and slow mind. I do consider it as a second language though I am being generous when I say so.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Spanish-Words-2.jpg

Chinese - I grew up speaking it, almost native but not quite.
Third languages are German and Japanese. I suck at Japanese, and I'm further along with my German at intermediate level. German has these English-like words that make it easier to parse.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius took French from 9 to 16 years old and Spanish for a year at 13. He didn't enjoy learning either, as one mostly just listens to the teacher so it is not really interesting. He forgot everything and restarted French at 26 years old just to learn some basics but enjoyed it so carried on. He doesn't practice writing but his reading and listening is pretty decent but his speaking is not really as good as it should be as he is a bit lazy. He does practice on Italki when he is motivated. Probably around a good A2 level or piss poor B1 if he bothered to learn to write and had more motivation to actively learn.

Falcarius goes through periods of being bored and frustrated with French such as now. Hence, it is just in maintenance mode currently, watching French news and listening to music. He started learning Spanish at the start of the month on Baselang as a little challenge to see how much he could learn in a month.:)