• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roseanne Cancelled because of tweet

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They hadn't had a hit show in 20-something years. No risk, no reward. They should've done something with her contract to limit her public speaking.

No, that would have worked about as well as Trump not tweeting. And they would have ended up in the same place they are now. But just for fun....

DZojWTvVoAABa-q.jpg

e6tvwmm46cp01.jpg

roseanne-susan-rice.jpg

Crabs

Permabanned
I never watched the show in its original run and didn't watch any of the rebooted series; however, I find it a bit hypocritical that some of the same people who critcized the NFL's decision to "punish" players for kneeling during the national anthem while they're at work are supporting ABC's decision to punish Roseanne for comments she made outside of work. For the sake of consistency, they should at least be calling for Samantha Bee's show to be cancelled for the crass comments she made on the air.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember a few years ago hearing other comics speak highly about Rosanne as a comedienne and it made me interested in going back to her stand-up and maybe even her show despite the fact that I've looked down on it as lower-class shit since my parents gave me that impression 30 years. I thought maybe I was just being classist and there was more to her work. Maybe that's true, but regardless I'm not interested in viewing any of her material now.

Yeah, I have seen a bit of her stand-up years and years ago, plus did watch some episodes of Roseanne in the past and did actually like it. It was interesting, broke some tv boundaries, and seemed more nuanced than other sitcoms -- a rawer, earthier, on the level approach for the stuff I saw. They felt like regular, real people who sometimes screwed up but there was an honesty about it too.

I hadn't watched any of the new season but had been considering watching it just so I could at least talk intelligently about it regardless of how I ended up viewing it. But this whole bit has turned me off and I don't know if I will bother now.

Laurie Metcalf, she was just nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe.

Laurie Metcalf - Wikipedia

Yeah, she was excellent in Lady Bird. She's the real deal, with a Tony and an Emmy and then noms for GG and AA as you've said.

Which puts her in a pretty classy accomplished crowd already.

I can't stand Roseanne's voice.

Yeah. That has always been annoying.

Now I'm irked because I love my current RPG character, who my group members have described (accurately) as a cross between Tonya Harding and Roseanne (her show persona). These current antics are really throwing off my groove.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is why I love being a ghost when it comes to social media. If I say something inappropriate (and I always do), it will only involves me and the other party. I love having nobody privilege.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't feel that a person's opinions and job performance are directly linked, and that shit like this is stupid... i hope responses like this begin to recieve backlash from the public...
They are linked in both being indicative of the person's character.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Never watched either incarnation of the show; along with Sofia Vergara, Roseanne's voice is almost insufferable. I too think Metcalf did a great job playing the hard-ass mom in Lady Bird.

ABC can do whatever it wants; the last ABC show I watched was Fantasy Island back in the 80s. Da Plane! Da Plane!

Deprecator

Social media has become the ultimate platform to engage in virtue signalling; literally all it takes is for a random white girl to post a picture of herself in an oriental styled dress before the PC police come in and proclaim their moral superiority by viciously condemning the dress wearers for perceived instances of racism, ignorance and bigotry. And as far as major companies are concerned, it's likely more profitable to advertise a 'zero tolerance policy' towards these perceived instances of racism and bigotry as opposed to advertising a free speech policy that gives employees the right to joke around and speak freely while off the clock.

So while in itself racism might not yet be a criminal crime in the US, it's still a 'social crime' that can lead to unemployment if offhanded or sarcastic remarks are ever showcased by the public spotlight.

Though the twitter storm reminds me of this rather infamous incident:

"Making those comments, those racist comments, do not help."

"Yeah. And if you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump." ~Kelly Osbourne on The View, 2015. :rofl1:

Such a pity that she was still able to find work after that, but I reckon that if her intention all along was to criticize Donald Trump then future employers might be more forgiving of her history of retarded commentary.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never watched the show in its original run and didn't watch any of the rebooted series; however, I find it a bit hypocritical that some of the same people who critcized the NFL's decision to "punish" players for kneeling during the national anthem while they're at work are supporting ABC's decision to punish Roseanne for comments she made outside of work. For the sake of consistency, they should at least be calling for Samantha Bee's show to be cancelled for the crass comments she made on the air.

Are you seriously equating a respectful protest against racism and police violence with publically insulting an individual with racist tweets?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't understand - how is calling a white looking woman a monkey a racist remark ?

found the quote
"“muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,”

Ok so its racist to say compare someone to planet of the apes ... a fiction where the 'apes' are the superior race...? Are we now living in bizarro earth ?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't cared for her since I found this during my psychopath research phase:

Barr has publicly confessed that she has been a victim of physical and sexual as a child by her parents. Barr’s siblings and parents denied the charges, hired a high-profile lawyer, and publicly called Barr a psychopathic liar. Lie detector tests used on Roseanne’s parents came back with negative results. Even so, Roseanne Barr remained estranged from her family for the next 10 years.

Barr has had drug and alcohol addictions, problems with food, self-injury, and mental health issues, are all indicative of someone who was sexually abused as a child.

She has had 3 marriages, to Ben Thomas, Bill Pentland, and later Tom Arnold.

Some of her jokes are outright disturbing, such as "Did you hear about the woman who stabbed her husband thirty seven times? I admire her restraint."

Roseanne Barr became infamous in 1990 for shrieking ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ and grabbing her crotch. This caused her to receive death threats and was called a disgrace by President George Bush, Sr. Barr’s National Anthem attempt just might be the most viral moment of the pre-viral age.

Roseanne Barr has a long history voicing whatever thought comes to her mind publicly. This is particularly evident with her presence on Twitter where she has frequently gone on rages and aggressive tirades, exposing a hateful, misanthropic personality.

She hasn't hesitated to make jokes about Bill Cosby on Twitter at a time when it was really not appropriate.

She has gone into feuds with Donald Trump, insulting each other back and forth and forgetting what it was they were arguing about in the first place.

In 2012, George Zimmerman was the center of a media storm in 2012 when he shot and killed black teenager Trayvon Martin. Bar exposed George Zimmerman’s parents’ address publicly, violating Tweeter rules. The parents sued her.

My verdict: Roseanne Barr appears to be sociopathic.

What famous actors are diagnosed as psychopaths? - Quora

I used to watch the show, but it was almost exclusively for John Goodman.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't understand - how is calling a white looking woman a monkey a racist remark ?

found the quote
"“muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,”

Ok so its racist to say compare someone to planet of the apes ... a fiction where the 'apes' are the superior race...? Are we now living in bizarro earth ?

I think it was the Muslim part that stirred the hornet's nest.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Google harder, it's not "Bizarro Earth" at all.

She's black, worked closely under Obama during his tenure, and it's a common racist epithet to tie black people to apes... it's a slur that goes back many many decades. Roseanne's done it before as well... not the first time.

That was the problem.

I'm not even sure why this is a point of confusion about "blacks = monkeys" being an old old slur, that doesn't seem to be the point of contention. People are arguing more about whether ABC was taking too strong a stance of a Tweet (most folks including those on the show thought they were not) and whether they were being inconsistent in their discipline.

Crabs

Permabanned
Are you seriously equating a respectful protest against racism and police violence with publically insulting an individual with racist tweets?

What you consider a respectful protest, many Americans consider disrespectful to the flag and military. I'm not defending Roseanne's comments nor criticizing ABC for cancelling the show. It's their business, they can do whatever is in their best interest; as can the NFL. I'm just pointing out a double standard.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even if it hadn't been cancelled, it seems like a bunch of cast and crew members were ready to split over it. She needs mental help.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What you consider a respectful protest, many Americans consider disrespectful to the flag and military. I'm not defending Roseanne's comments nor criticizing ABC for cancelling the show. It's their business, they can do whatever is in their best interest; as can the NFL. I'm just pointing out a double standard.
Disrespect or criticism of the flag and the military (symbols and institutions) is a quite different matter from the same levelled at an individual, especially when it has nothing to do with what the individual actually did and said, and is based instead on group identity. Some double standards are valid, because the topics or cases they apply to are quite distinct.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disrespect or criticism of the flag and the military (symbols and institutions) is a quite different matter from the same levelled at an individual, especially when it has nothing to do with what the individual actually did and said, and is based instead on group identity. Some double standards are valid, because the topics or cases they apply to are quite distinct.

It's all free speech, no matter how disgusting or offensive. But how ABC and the NFL decides to handle either case is entirely up to them. I don't think ABC is in the wrong cancelling her show.