• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Avengers Infinity War

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My #1 priority for this movie was Shuri making the Science Bros feel inadequate and one of the trailers already confirmed this so I don't see how this won't be nominated for Best Picture.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just saw it and I'd probably rate it 8/10. The ending validated the trailer scavenging, imo.

I don't know if this thread is spoiler friendly, so I won't say anything much. However it was much better than Age of Ultron about having a lot on screen without giving you a headache.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just got back from it. I actually liked it a lot but it was not a perfect film by any stretch, not the strongest MCU film, and I have a headache now from watching it, I think. I will put any revelations of actual plot events in spoilers, but talk about general stuff openly.

I generally agree with the social media commentary about it which can be generally positive but also can refer to the film's "noise." I'm just not really sure how they could have done it DIFFERENTLY, considering everything they wanted to pack into that run-time. Also, while it is a single movie and people want to describe it based on that, the reality is that it is not just one film but the culmination of like 20 films -- a lot of groundwork was already laid for this film, and Infinity War basically assumes you have seen the other films so you're aware of the characters, their relationships with each other, the severity of what Thanos is doing, etc. It doesn't "breathe" as a single isolated film because it has assumed you've already done a lot of natural breathing in the other films, and this is a deep drive where you're just holding your breath.

One criticism I have is that it starts out BOOM, hitting the ground running, rather than giving time to get anchored into it. There's heavy stuff happening in the first ten minutes. It doesn't start like any other MCU movie I can recall. The whole movie has a feeling of being on edge, it's relentless. And there are a LOT of action sequences. If there are talking sequences, they are usually comic relief banter or something similar meant to just keep the film from getting too weighed down in the severity of what Thanos is trying to accomplish. But there are some dramatic moments / personally heavy scenes For example, I really like the interplay between Spiderman and Iron Man, but this was set up in the Spiderman: Homecoming film, where we see Iron Man (the perpetual playboy) suddenly trying to be an inexperienced dad / role model for a precocious teenager -- there are some moments in this film that are pretty meaningful and intense because they lean into our past knowledge of Stark and Parker.

I'm impressed they found a way to split 20-25 superheroes into various subplots, making use of everyone decently, and making it make some amount of sense. I've seen films that have abysmally failed in this regard. We've also seen how the ball was dropped by Justice League, which barely set up any of the film in the prior DC universe outings and was just kind of a mess. I think this film ended up being dark due to the severity of what was going on, while still feeling much lighter than Zack Synder's DC outings (which are just broody if not dismal).

They managed to make Thanos somewhat sympathetic, although it was overdone in a few spots and I wish they had had a lighter touch. Josh Brolin (who I was so sick of hearing about in film after film, I groaned when he was cast here) was actually quite excellent; I was wrong in my initial impression. One thing I really liked was more intuited subtext about Gamora and Nebula. We have their discussions of their relationship to each other and Thanos in the GotG films, but here what I really picked up on was: (1) Thanos really does see Gamora as his "favored" daughter and possesses actual feelings towards her in that respect, and (2) I don't think he really cares for Nebula much. Or she's just another patsy. Which is the irony... she views Thanos as a hated FATHER, whereas I really think he just never really viewed her as family in the same way. So when he replaced parts of her body with machine parts (referred to in other films), she took it as something very personal; I think he was just actually being capricious or indifferent, but never really viewed her as "daughter" per se... or more like she was a failed experiment, she just didn't have what it took like Gamora did. It's one of the more successful "deeper" parts of this film, which is lacking mostly in those kinds of moments.

But it's just all so damned much. Like, I don't how to have changed it, but I'm exhausted after watching it -- it's like being cranked up to 10 for 2.5 hours, without a lot of natural ebb and flow.

At least the fights in the film feel like they have consequences. There always felt like there was a lot at stake... and that anyone could die at any moment, no tricks. And the last 20 minutes of the film were just as ballsy as hell. Justice League was pretty lame in comparison, they didn't have the balls to really go where the material could have led. the MCU did not disappoint in that regard. Yes, we know there is a sequel in a year that will be a story following this one that will probably do something to course-correct, but fucking hell man, bravo on just really having guts to take things there and then drop it for a year.

So I'm kinda on the same response as merced. I would probably give in a 7.5/10 or possibly an 8, although YMMV depending on your attitude towards MCU in general and whether you like the kind of things this film/MCU dishes up. I'm just not sure what they could have done to improve it, due to the Infinity Stone storyline. It also worked better than it would have because they have made so many films setting this up.

My favorite MCU film is still The Winter Soldier.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as actual plot spoilers and discussion such things... and yes, these are hardcore spoilers do not read if you haven't seen the film:

The overall ending + Dr. Strange:

Thor:

Vision:

Spidey and Iron Man:

Hawkeye:

Thanos' plan:

Anyway, now I think I'm tired of talking about it all right now and just need to do something else. It's too much.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
response to merced:

Tater

Overall, I'd rate it 7.3. Maybe higher if I wasn't so tired while seeing it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can I complain about the movie even though I haven't seen it, since that's apparently a thing people do now?

Ok, do first thing. This movie is called infinity war, but it in fact has a finite runtime. This is the worst case of false advertising since The Neverending Story.

Ok, so the Guardians of the Galaxy are apparently in this. I guess Marvel feels that the Avengers themselves aren't a big enough draw to sustain an entire movie.

Iron Man's suit is stupid. Why doesn't he just fly a plane that shoots missiles and whatever gadgets he invents instead of exposing himself to danger?

If the Hulk really cared about trying to protect people from his hulk rage, he would have moved to another planet or something.

So apparently this movie has the Norse god Thor in it. So now we're mixing in magic sky man with our superhero movies? What a mishmash of concepts.

Why does a character called Spider-man only have four limbs? Talk about failing basic biology.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can I complain about the movie even though I haven't seen it, since that's apparently a thing people do now?

Ok, do first thing. This movie is called infinity war, but it in fact has a finite runtime. This is the worst case of false advertising since The Neverending Story.

Dammit. he's right. We've been robbed!!!!

If the Hulk really cared about trying to protect people from his hulk rage, he would have moved to another planet or something.

he actually did but gets sent back against his will.

Why does a character called Spider-man only have four limbs? Talk about failing basic biology.

Heh -- see the film.

Gone

It motivated me to watch Doctor Strange.

Other random thoughts:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Wow. Srsly?

'Avengers: Infinity War': Reasons Why Fans Cried, According To Their Myers-Briggs Personality Type

That being said, I did think of that when things veered south.

I know this piece is pure fluff and of little substance, but this would make me INTJ with leanings into INTP as both of those occurred to me almost simultaneously.

I enjoyed the movie in a broad sense, but didn't really feel much engaged by it. In fact I found it boring except for the soul stone bit. Not sure if that's my issue or that a lot of movies made now follow the same beats too often. Although this did take some risks and I'm glad of that.

Might need to see it again, I'm sometimes more engaged on repeat viewings.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Watched it a couple weeks ago it was a good film with strong elements including the dyamanic between Stark and Parker and the overall very epic feel.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny having not revisited my initial reaction around the time this film came out and seeing I was lukewarm about the pacing. Over the last 3 years or so, this has become one of my favorite MCU films.

It is just honest and relentless, it captures the personality flavors of all the characters (a hard task to juggle), and it makes you think it's about the heroes on first watch but is really about the (anti) hero journey and ends successfully under that light. It also makes me feel a LOT.

I think also you can judge the success of some later efforts by how they made prior films better, and Wandavision this year was one of those efforts that overall boosted the value of Age of Ultron, a bit of Civil War, AND Infinity War as well. Out of all the poignant moments across the MCU, the whole Wanda/Vision romance (esp as shown in this film) is one of the most intense in terms of feelings of loss and love, pain and hope. This film is SO ballsy -- it culminates in a totally glorious moment, then a minute later tears it away from you and tramples it underfoot. The emotional agony is unrivaled at seeing what happens here.

It is also one of the few Marvel film that ever felt like it had dire stakes. There's a feeling of dread permeating it from the onset. The enemy is shown to be deadly, unsympathetic (well at least Thanos' lackeys), and extremely good at what they do. The fact that Thanos is not necessarily mean-spirited (like some earlier portrayals) but seems to have been purified by his unfulfilled longings and reached a sense of internal equilibrium over his own calling... where he's finally doing things himself versus trying to reap reward without doing the work... it gives him this sense of world-weariness and eventual transcendence. He's unreachable because he's already decided what needs to be done after having considered his options (so he cannot have his view altered by new information), he believes his plan is already compassionate in alleviating suffering (so no sympathy plea will sway him), and he's firmly committed to doing whatever is necessary and bearing any pain or loss necessary in order to make this sacrifice for the greater good of the universe.

I think that's almost what makes it worse (and definitely compelling) -- not that he's evil, but that he believes he is doing good. The Endgame version of Thanos is not nearly as interesting, but this slightly older Thanos, who doesn't even wear armor, is so compelling. He feels like he's almost transcended mortal bonds.

I still remember the ending of the film as one of the most wild cinematic experiences I have ever had. My breath caught in my throat, and I was just like, "holy crap, they DID it. They actually WENT this way." You could feel the audience just get the wind sucked out of them. It was so awesome. No one could believe it. It didn't matter that we knew the final film would course-correct / alleviate some or most of the loss. It mattered that they still did it -- and then let a year pass before releasing the final film. It was crazy, wild, and so amazing.

Disney+ has been good about posting deleted or alternate scenes for their films, and it is interesting to see how in this and some of the other films they would rework a scene multiple times even when filming, to make things better. Most notable is the scene in this film with Gamora and Thanos, when he first departs with her. In their earlier version, it read more like a Hallmark / progressive "woman escapes" story, but also felt very generic. They reeled this in a bit and it became more distinct. Thanos never loses his cool. He never stoops to Gamora's level with the griping. THey don't debate social justice or family abuse. He stays above it all because that's how his character would be, and reminds her that there are things he gave her, but one thing he never taught her to do was lie "and that's why she is exceedingly bad at it." yes, it would all be from his perspective. I think it's those touches that make me appreciate the film. There really is some decent quality acting and story honing despite it being a "comic book film."