• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why cant they make anything like Ghostbusters now?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you see Mute? It’s visually awesome. The story was meh but I really enjoyed the cinematography and most of the acting. Especially Paul Rudd, he really broke his usual sarcastic-but-lovable-nice guy mold he gets typecasted as.

Mute is the film I want to see, I think it's on Netflix and probably on my list.

I've been a little hesitant to watch it because everyone talked up Mike Flanagan's "Hush" last year on Netflix, but I thought that movie kinda sucked. I like much of Flanagan's stuff (including Oculus, his Ouija sequel which is far better than the original film, and Gerald's Game above.)

Also, there is a nice little Easter egg/reference about Moon towards the beginning.

Moon, I might be a little biased towards because I really love Sam Rockwell. Probably one of my favorite living male actors

Speaking of unique things. I love him because he is unique and doesn't apologize for being different. He's kinda quirky and does his thing. He got a great opportunity in Three Billboards because the role was written so well and allowed him to bring nuance rather than just playing for laughs as he sometimes does. So I'm glad he was finally recognized in some capacity.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Road was great albeit emotionally heavy. Such a bleak ending too

rav3n

Moonrise Kingdom - being a Wes Anderson fan, this needs a mention.
Inception
No Country For Old Men
Life of Pi
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises..

All made in the last 10 years, all unique and great. The only genre that truly sucks is horror. There is nothing original left and most of it is simply more gore than the last movie.
Even though it's a TV show, have you seen Penny Dreadful? I'm not normally into the horror genre but this one's in my top ten TV shows of all time! It's a lovely mix of multiple genres where Eva Green puts her heart and soul into it and makes it her bitch. Hannibal also rocks but not at the level of PD, even though it's above most others.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mute is the film I want to see, I think it's on Netflix and probably on my list.

I've been a little hesitant to watch it because everyone talked up Mike Flanagan's "Hush" last year on Netflix, but I thought that movie kinda sucked. I like much of Flanagan's stuff (including Oculus, his Ouija sequel which is far better than the original film, and Gerald's Game above.)

Speaking of unique things. I love him because he is unique and doesn't apologize for being different. He's kinda quirky and does his thing. He got a great opportunity in Three Billboards because the role was written so well and allowed him to bring nuance rather than just playing for laughs as he sometimes does. So I'm glad he was finally recognized in some capacity.

Hush had a great premise but then it turns into typical horror fare, very predictable

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Even though it's a TV show, have you seen Penny Dreadful? I'm not normally into the horror genre but this one's in my top ten TV shows of all time! It's a lovely mix of multiple genres where Eva Green puts her heart and soul into it and makes it her bitch. Hannibal also rocks but not at the level of PD, even though it's above most others.

I have seen a few episodes but I started watching Taboo with Tom Hardy and totally forgot about it and I watch anything with Eva Green, she's wonderful.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He is underrated

He was great in "The History of Violence" and "Captain Fantastic" too -- the latter just showcases his ability (and willingness to be hated by the audience, even if you can understand him), the film itself is interesting but isn't quite sure where it's going.

rav3n

I have seen a few episodes but I started watching Taboo with Tom Hardy and totally forgot about it and I watch anything with Eva Green, she's wonderful.
Taboo's good too! It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, considering how unlikeable Hardy's character but as always, Hardy pulls it off. Of course that leads me to Peaky Blinders which is a period piece but kicks ass too. Cillian Murphy has found his niche as INTJ Thomas Shelby.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
He was great in "The History of Violence" and "Captain Fantastic" too -- the latter just showcases his ability (and willingness to be hated by the audience, even if you can understand him), the film itself is interesting but isn't quite sure where it's going.

Eastern Promises is my favorite of his overall. I realize he was nominated for an Oscar in this role but no one ever mentions Vincent Cassel and frankly, the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good without him. That said, VM has a small role in Carlito's Way that's amazing, it's one of the best scenes in the movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eastern Promises is my favorite of his overall. I realize he was nominated for an Oscar in this role but no one ever mentions Vincent Cassel and frankly, the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good without him. That said, VM has a small role in Carlito's Way that's amazing, it's one of the best scenes in the movie.

I have not seen either but will try to get a watch in there -- I'm always interested in good performances / good films regardless of genre. I had never heard of him until he took over as Aragorn in LotR (and I think he's actually one of the best parts of that trilogy) and have kept my eye on him since.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I just saw A Quiet Place in the theater, and it's the best new movie I've seen in more than a few years.

Combination of a cast with chemistry (the leads are married IRL), and a singular directorial vision (who also plays one of the main characters). None of this manufactured by committee cash cow collection of things that happen bullshit.

Also character arcs, story arcs, and a deep sense of human meaning- empathy, sacrifice, perseverance.