• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Children of Men

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Who has seen it? I think I'm going to watch it again tonight. I've seen it several time, for I own it on DVD. I think it's an excellent movie. The cinematography is awesome, Clive Owen is great in it and it's a compelling plot. The ending is a cliff hanger but I kind of like it how it ends abruptly, leaving it to the viewer to speculate and maybe fabricate the conclusion.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Compelling plot? Everyone is magically sterile so they quite reasonably resort to fascism, then someone gets pregnant and people start killing each other cause one baby will somehow magically save humanity or whatever.

But the action was awesome, so I liked it.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I liked Michael Caine in it. I do wish I saw it at the cinema. It's very HL2 in plot and feel; especially the scene in the car.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I enjoyed it a lot. I had overlooked it in theaters, but a friend forced me to sit and observe. The magically sterile part I think is another thing the viewer speculates on eternally. Religious views, apocolyptic thoughts, the environment.. what triggered it, the supernatual, mankind himself, the environment, disease, milk, sunshine.. It was another fun thing to debate about.

I don't think the one baby saves humanity.. I'm sure that girl was pumped with more sperm then a whale afterwards.. but the fact it's there means that mayhap the people whom thought it was the end of the world have hope of otherwise.

I really thought it was interesting that they sold suicide kits. That was just insane to me.. to be so open about it, and just publically let people know that "Yup, there's pretty much no reason to live anymore." I wouldn't like to think of America as a whole so pessimistic.. that might be a bit too scary for this little chica..

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I really enjoyed that movie. There was one shot towards the end that was a continuous 15 minute shot or something of the like, no edits. I love that kinda stuff.

I've also been a fan of Clive's since the BMW Films series, man those were awesome.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's a quality pikcha.

I appreciated the cinematography more than anything else about it.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Very good. One of those that you leave you straring at the closing credits.(with your mouth open and you hand hanging limply in the popcorn bowl)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Compelling plot? Everyone is magically sterile so they quite reasonably resort to fascism, then someone gets pregnant and people start killing each other cause one baby will somehow magically save humanity or whatever.

But the action was awesome, so I liked it.
By compelling I meant that it had me interested throughout the duration of the movie. Not a ton of movies hold my attention. I liked the plot a lot and the way the dawn of apocalypse, fascism and decay of the world was displayed on film was superb, IMO. That shot where the blood stayed on the screen for several minutes... Freakin' sweet! Also the scene where they get ambushed in the car was way intense. :nice:

The ending would probably disappoint most (it didn't for me though), but I suggest everyone sees this if they haven't. Go rent it!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked the premise. The execution was problematic. The ending was ridiculous.

bbites

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Saw it. Loved it. Fell in love/lust with Clive Owen. I also liked the music.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Good movie. I saw it in theaters a few years ago (with a pretty great audience). The car scene was magnificent.

I thought the 3 second birth was a little unbelievable and I wasn't a big fan of the explosion steady-cam scene (Ah, the irony of calling shaky cameras, "steady"). It was kind of stagy, having that long of a shot. Drawing attention to the mechanics of itself rather than the story.

I really thought it was interesting that they sold suicide kits. That was just insane to me.. to be so open about it, and just publically let people know that "Yup, there's pretty much no reason to live anymore." I wouldn't like to think of America as a whole so pessimistic.. that might be a bit too scary for this little chica..

I can see how it could be so hopeless. With no future generations to live for- it's very evolutionarily dire. :laugh: They should've shown some weird cults that worshipped the rabbit or something for its reproductive prowress.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very good. One of those that you leave you straring at the closing credits.(with your mouth open and you hand hanging limply in the popcorn bowl)

I really liked it too!

(and I have a thing for "unlikely heros") :blush:

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
From a technical standpoint, the film was brilliant. From an overall standpoint, the film was mediocre at best - Its metaphor was rather cliche.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Expound, please.
It descended into little more than a mindless action flick, when it could have been so much more. But then, I like movies where people just sit around talking, no so much movies, as talkies.

Anyway, Wiki say: Described as a companion piece to Cuarón's Y tu mamá también (2001), both films examine contemporary social and political issues through the epic journey of the road film.

Y tu mamá también was an infinitely superior movie.
If you want subtlety and depth, you have to look outside of the English language (i.e. U.S.) market, or so it would seem.

LucrativeSid

I loved it because it gave me a unique feeling, the action was awesome, and it gives me a bit to think about it. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, though, because there wasn't any science or explanation involved, and it wasn't as epic as I would have liked to have been.

I sure liked watching Clive kick a car door into a guy on a motorcycle. And I give them props for what happened during that scene. (I won't include spoilers.)