• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Tolkien Book: The Fall of Gondolin

Beorn

Permabanned
The Fall of Gondolin, 'new' JRR Tolkien book, to be published in 2018 | Books | The Guardian

tenor.gif

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is it another compilation of Tolkien's notes by his son Christopher?

I remember the overview of Gondolin's fall -- it's kinda tied in with the issue of Glorfindel, which gets discussed because he dies in a battle with a balrog at Gondolin (right?) but then shows up centuries later in The Fellowship of the Ring in the slot that was reallocated to Arwen in the movies...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read that one version of this had Orcs with tanks. I suppose that's consistent with his general theme of the forces of industry being associated with evil, but it still seems super weird.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
is it another compilation of Tolkien's notes by his son Christopher?

I remember the overview of Gondolin's fall -- it's kinda tied in with the issue of Glorfindel, which gets discussed because he dies in a battle with a balrog at Gondolin (right?) but then shows up centuries later in The Fellowship of the Ring in the slot that was reallocated to Arwen in the movies...

It is established that elves can come back from the Halls of Mandos after a time. I always figured he came back by the time of Fellowship, or it was some other fellow who was named after a hero of yore. I look forward to the reading the book. I enjoyed Beren and Luthien, as it showed the evolution of that story over the years that Tolkien worked on it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is established that elves can come back from the Halls of Mandos after a time. I always figured he came back by the time of Fellowship, or it was some other fellow who was named after a hero of yore. I look forward to the reading the book. I enjoyed Beren and Luthien, as it showed the evolution of that story over the years that Tolkien worked on it.

I think it is supposed to be the same guy.