User Tag List

12 Last

Default What books do you think Batman has in his library?

What books do you think Batman has in his library? What does he read?

I've read a number of times in the comics and other sources about there being a Wayne Manor library and another in the Bat Cave or on the Bat Computer, presumably, but dont know any list of books which are like his favourite reads or formative reads or anything like that, I also have read about the training that Batman undertook to "become Batman", its often his physique that its about or fitness or combat prowess but it doesnt say much about what he was reading or learning or teaching himself in that time and presumably that was all a thing too, he would at least have to have to learn to use the gadgets that others may have created it for him.
    Likes The Mysterious Stranger liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What books do you think Batman has in his library? What does he read?

I've read a number of times in the comics and other sources about there being a Wayne Manor library and another in the Bat Cave or on the Bat Computer, presumably, but dont know any list of books which are like his favourite reads or formative reads or anything like that, I also have read about the training that Batman undertook to "become Batman", its often his physique that its about or fitness or combat prowess but it doesnt say much about what he was reading or learning or teaching himself in that time and presumably that was all a thing too, he would at least have to have to learn to use the gadgets that others may have created it for him.
    This One:

As seen here in Batmetal forever.
    People are more twisted than people think.

http://kevan.org/jh/nomendei | http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Nomendei

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Mysterious Stranger's Avatar
    MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad

Personally I get the feeling the books more reflect Tomas Wayne's style than Bruce's that being said I suspect Bruce has probably read them dozens of times over as a way to feel connected to his dead father. I like this thread. ^_^
    I am but a dream--
    Your dream,
    A creature of your imagination...

We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...

In a moment you will have realized this,
    then you will banish me from your visions
    and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Wizard View Post
    Personally I get the feeling the books more reflect Tomas Wayne's style than Bruce's that being said I suspect Bruce has probably read them dozens of times over as a way to feel connected to his dead father. I like this thread. ^_^
    This I would certainly agree with for the Wayne Manor library but I think that the Bat Cave could be a different matter, its the creation of Bruce alone, largely, I would suspect, although Gotham has got me thinking about Alfred's role as mentor (to this end what if the Waynes were assassinated by an old adversary of special forces Alfred to deprive him of employment? Plot Twist!)

I was thinking about whether or not Batman's library would be hard copy or digital when I realised that there would in all likelihood be actual books which are evidence or artifacts which he would probably have as part of the Bat Cave's museum exhibits.

Superman and other superheroes in Infinite Crisis were identified as vulnerable to magic (I think Superman was possessed by Dead Man in one of the alternative earths) so I think it possible at least that Batman would have more than one Grimoire or Codex or other magical book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomendei View Post
    This One:

As seen here in Batmetal forever.
    This actually would make sense, Batman would seek something like that out to deprive villains of it or in order to seek to contain its evil.

Now, can you imagine how awesome a Batman - Evil Dead/Armies of Darkness cross over could be?

Although, unlikely, Marvel and Darkhorse imprints if I'm not wrong.

MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This I would certainly agree with for the Wayne Manor library but I think that the Bat Cave could be a different matter, its the creation of Bruce alone, largely, I would suspect, although Gotham has got me thinking about Alfred's role as mentor (to this end what if the Waynes were assassinated by an old adversary of special forces Alfred to deprive him of employment? Plot Twist!)

I was thinking about whether or not Batman's library would be hard copy or digital when I realised that there would in all likelihood be actual books which are evidence or artifacts which he would probably have as part of the Bat Cave's museum exhibits.

Superman and other superheroes in Infinite Crisis were identified as vulnerable to magic (I think Superman was possessed by Dead Man in one of the alternative earths) so I think it possible at least that Batman would have more than one Grimoire or Codex or other magical book.
    I think for that library, it would all be related to his quest. I imagine extensive files on criminology, martial arts (the philosophies) survival handbooks; personal records; gathered "evidence" and probably a secret stash of psychology books. He knows Constantine, so occult is well within the realm of possibility.
    I am but a dream--
    Your dream,

and through us...

Likes Chaotic Symphony liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

Hopefully he has a copy of the DSM-5 given the people he has to deal with

And I guess it's inflation, but damn it's hard to value my two cents
    As a kid I was idolizing millionaires and all the presidents

- Left at London

Do you think that Batman would have books in his library which could be considered something other than reference or utilitarian?

Obviously he is going to have books which support the various skill sets, such as modern forensics, criminology or law for detective work, martial arts, fitness and diet for physical training, engineering, computer science or hacking for maintaining his vehicles, bat computer etc.

Although what of literature? Conceivably literary references matter, at least when dealing with E. Nigma AKA The Riddler for one, what about spiritual or psychological resources or cultural references? Politics, history, business, philosophy or economics? Or would those sources be ephemeral to his mission?

Batman is the kind of guy who I figure is more than a little obsessive and probably is going to have little time for reading for leisure, or any other leisure activity which does not double as training or cover story (though I actually think that at this point, without drawing any suspicion to himself Wayne may employ doubles, they do not need to know and its unlikely would ever suspect it is in order to provide cover for his dark knight persona).

Just as an aside I think the comic book adventures of Bruce Wayne of Gotham could be interesting, how he covers for his alter ego, the role, if any he plays in his corporate empire or seeks to fight crime in the white collar world etc. I cant remember if it was in the recent movies or in the comics but I do remember some reference to Bruce's parents seeking to try and clean up Gotham's endemic corruption, crime and decay through investment and special projects.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Wizard View Post
    I think for that library, it would all be related to his quest. I imagine extensive files on criminology, martial arts (the philosophies) survival handbooks; personal records; gathered "evidence" and probably a secret stash of psychology books. He knows Constantine, so occult is well within the realm of possibility.
    Yeah, I think that Batman is the only member of the regular Justice League who is part of the Justice League Dark or possibly he helped set it up or establish it.

I think he's the only character who could have a foot in both camps so to speak. Constantine is a detective or PI pretty much.

MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    Hopefully he has a copy of the DSM-5 given the people he has to deal with
    given the man he has to deal with in the mirror too
    I am but a dream--
    Your dream,

and through us...

Likes Merced liked this post