• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What books do you think Batman has in his library?

Lark

What books do you think Batman has in his library? What does he read?

I've read a number of times in the comics and other sources about there being a Wayne Manor library and another in the Bat Cave or on the Bat Computer, presumably, but dont know any list of books which are like his favourite reads or formative reads or anything like that, I also have read about the training that Batman undertook to "become Batman", its often his physique that its about or fitness or combat prowess but it doesnt say much about what he was reading or learning or teaching himself in that time and presumably that was all a thing too, he would at least have to have to learn to use the gadgets that others may have created it for him.

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What books do you think Batman has in his library? What does he read?

I've read a number of times in the comics and other sources about there being a Wayne Manor library and another in the Bat Cave or on the Bat Computer, presumably, but dont know any list of books which are like his favourite reads or formative reads or anything like that, I also have read about the training that Batman undertook to "become Batman", its often his physique that its about or fitness or combat prowess but it doesnt say much about what he was reading or learning or teaching himself in that time and presumably that was all a thing too, he would at least have to have to learn to use the gadgets that others may have created it for him.

This One:
51QFGJGY36L._SY445_.jpg

As seen here in Batmetal forever.:gleam:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Personally I get the feeling the books more reflect Tomas Wayne's style than Bruce's that being said I suspect Bruce has probably read them dozens of times over as a way to feel connected to his dead father. I like this thread. ^_^

Lark

Personally I get the feeling the books more reflect Tomas Wayne's style than Bruce's that being said I suspect Bruce has probably read them dozens of times over as a way to feel connected to his dead father. I like this thread. ^_^

This I would certainly agree with for the Wayne Manor library but I think that the Bat Cave could be a different matter, its the creation of Bruce alone, largely, I would suspect, although Gotham has got me thinking about Alfred's role as mentor (to this end what if the Waynes were assassinated by an old adversary of special forces Alfred to deprive him of employment? Plot Twist!)

I was thinking about whether or not Batman's library would be hard copy or digital when I realised that there would in all likelihood be actual books which are evidence or artifacts which he would probably have as part of the Bat Cave's museum exhibits.

Superman and other superheroes in Infinite Crisis were identified as vulnerable to magic (I think Superman was possessed by Dead Man in one of the alternative earths) so I think it possible at least that Batman would have more than one Grimoire or Codex or other magical book.

Lark

This One:
51QFGJGY36L._SY445_.jpg

As seen here in Batmetal forever.:gleam:

This actually would make sense, Batman would seek something like that out to deprive villains of it or in order to seek to contain its evil.

Now, can you imagine how awesome a Batman - Evil Dead/Armies of Darkness cross over could be?

Although, unlikely, Marvel and Darkhorse imprints if I'm not wrong.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This I would certainly agree with for the Wayne Manor library but I think that the Bat Cave could be a different matter, its the creation of Bruce alone, largely, I would suspect, although Gotham has got me thinking about Alfred's role as mentor (to this end what if the Waynes were assassinated by an old adversary of special forces Alfred to deprive him of employment? Plot Twist!)

I was thinking about whether or not Batman's library would be hard copy or digital when I realised that there would in all likelihood be actual books which are evidence or artifacts which he would probably have as part of the Bat Cave's museum exhibits.

Superman and other superheroes in Infinite Crisis were identified as vulnerable to magic (I think Superman was possessed by Dead Man in one of the alternative earths) so I think it possible at least that Batman would have more than one Grimoire or Codex or other magical book.

I think for that library, it would all be related to his quest. I imagine extensive files on criminology, martial arts (the philosophies) survival handbooks; personal records; gathered "evidence" and probably a secret stash of psychology books. He knows Constantine, so occult is well within the realm of possibility.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hopefully he has a copy of the DSM-5 given the people he has to deal with

Lark

Do you think that Batman would have books in his library which could be considered something other than reference or utilitarian?

Obviously he is going to have books which support the various skill sets, such as modern forensics, criminology or law for detective work, martial arts, fitness and diet for physical training, engineering, computer science or hacking for maintaining his vehicles, bat computer etc.

Although what of literature? Conceivably literary references matter, at least when dealing with E. Nigma AKA The Riddler for one, what about spiritual or psychological resources or cultural references? Politics, history, business, philosophy or economics? Or would those sources be ephemeral to his mission?

Batman is the kind of guy who I figure is more than a little obsessive and probably is going to have little time for reading for leisure, or any other leisure activity which does not double as training or cover story (though I actually think that at this point, without drawing any suspicion to himself Wayne may employ doubles, they do not need to know and its unlikely would ever suspect it is in order to provide cover for his dark knight persona).

Just as an aside I think the comic book adventures of Bruce Wayne of Gotham could be interesting, how he covers for his alter ego, the role, if any he plays in his corporate empire or seeks to fight crime in the white collar world etc. I cant remember if it was in the recent movies or in the comics but I do remember some reference to Bruce's parents seeking to try and clean up Gotham's endemic corruption, crime and decay through investment and special projects.

Lark

I think for that library, it would all be related to his quest. I imagine extensive files on criminology, martial arts (the philosophies) survival handbooks; personal records; gathered "evidence" and probably a secret stash of psychology books. He knows Constantine, so occult is well within the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I think that Batman is the only member of the regular Justice League who is part of the Justice League Dark or possibly he helped set it up or establish it.

I think he's the only character who could have a foot in both camps so to speak. Constantine is a detective or PI pretty much.

Tengri

Adam West's Batman: Don Quixote, Breakfast of Champions, Calvin and Hobbes

Comic & animated Batman: The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, King Solomon's Mines, The Prince and the Pauper, Goodnight Darth Vader

Nolan's Batman: Hagakure, Spy vs Spy, De Profundis, Stellaluna