Thread: Solo (movie)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Solo (movie)

Opening May 25. Not sure how I feel about it.

Most recent trailer just dropped this weekend:

Alden Ehrenreich was decent in Hail Caesar, but he's seemed flat in any teaser/trailer releases and of course the rumors have been notorious about whether he was able to handle the role, how he needed an acting coach, and how it was part of the reason the directors were replaced. This trailer is no exception -- this is about the best I've seen him, and what's bizarre is that he's the lead character and Harrelson and maybe even Glover deliver more lines in this trailer than he does. That's not great. He's okay, but this movie needed stellar because of the hype and property. the leaks from the set (other actors who have watched the filming) are pretty much the same -- Ehrenreich is a decent actor, he wasn't good enough / suited for this particular role.

I'm kind of surprised they did not grab Anthony Ingruber for this. While The Age of Adeline was a so-so movie, Ingruber plays the younger version of Ford's character and was just jaw-dropping stellar, he was so spot-on... including the easy-going and fun side of Ford. (Ehrenreich still just looks like broody and stiff as Solo in comparison.) Yeah, he would have been 26-27 when shooting this, but Ford was in his 30's when he shot Star Wars... and Ehrenreich is actually a few months older than him, so age obviously wasn't an issue. Don't ask me. Sometimes the fans just bitch about things to bitch about them, but I don't feel like the trailers are drawing me in.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

Bird of War Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The production has been a bit of a mess on this one. This might be the first misfire of the Disney era. The last two films I'd rank as being equal to the OT (TFA tried a little too hard to be an anti-prequel, so I wouldn't quite place it on the level of the OT), but I'm not sure if they'll continue that with this.

I'll bet that's Corellia in the opening.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post

Well, that's a relief. Wonder if the audience reviews will take a beating like TLJ, though ( I remember that the audience responses were lower than some of the prequels, which I don't get, but whatevs).

-Zhuangzi

Visit my Johari:

Looks like there's a campaign to boycott it, but I'm not sure how much that will affect the audience ratings.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney/Lucasfilm went on to release multiple character prequels/sidestories. Coming next Summer: The Dexter Jettster Story. To be followed by Boba: The High School Years.

Meh, it's Star Wars, I'll go see it for the experience. I'm just not expecting anything great.

I can almost predict the plot. I mean, that's to be expected. I'm guessing his love interest will die toward the end, thus solidifying Solo's somewhat pessimistic outlook seen in A New Hope. We'll see the card game where he wins the falcon from Lando, we might see how he rescused Chewbacca from Imperial captivity. We'll see the Kessel Run and how they explain Lucas' original misuse of "parsec" away. Mostly all information we already know via past exposition, so the question is whether it's worth seeing all of that stretched out to two hours.

I'm really only excited to see Lando and Chewbacca at this point. Glover really looks and sounds the part so far. I always thought it was Lando and not Solo who deserved more backstory. Sure, he's basically a glorified side character in the original trilogy, but a hell of a lot more memorable than, say, Wedge or Porkins or even Admiral Ackbar. I'm still a little peeved they haven't found a way to work Lando into the sequels, considering Billy Dee Williams has always been pretty enthusiastic about his involvement in SW (unlike Ford) and would probably be happy to revisit the universe as an older Lando. And considering Luke and Han are dead and Leia probably won't be back due to Fisher's death, he's the last of the old guard if they want to continue the torch passing in the next film. I could see him maybe showing up as a rich and retired businessman contacted by the resistance for financial and moral support against the First Order. Perhaps he helps fund getting them some new ships after they stupidly lost their entire fleet in The Last Jedi.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

I'm also curious to see the explanation for the Millennium Falcon's different appearance. I recall reading somewhere that the notch in the front of the ship was for pushing large cargo containers, hence the placement of the cockpit off to the side. Maybe Lando turned it into a Party Ship when he acquired it, then Solo returned it to its beat down appearance to make it a less high profile target for patrol ships.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Considered going to see it opening weekend, but I'm just tired of going to theater. Maybe I'll go the next weekend. It looks as if it will be an okay movie to see, but i'm not feeling particularly driven to actually leave home to go see it. I wonder if that will be a problem for it on Memorial day weekend -- it's a long weekend, but it's not like a ton of people are geared up.

Box-Office Preview: 'Solo' Headed for Lowest Opening of Disney 'Star Wars' Movies | Hollywood Reporter
    ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Box Office Eyes Huge Opening – Variety

It seems no one is really set on how big this opening will be. Low end = 130$ million, high end = 180$ million. I'm betting on lower, although the fact it's a holiday weekend can't hurt.

I think the next big thing I really wanted to see was "The Incredibles 2" in mid-June.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot about this: Hereditary on June 8.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Well, I'm seeing it tonight. I'll post my thoughts. Early reports suggest people find it less polarizing than Last Jedi. I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but the trailers promise lots of interesting new environments and gee-gaws, and of course Donald Glover as Lando. So... I'll see.

-Zhuangzi

Visit my Johari:

Saw it.
    I'm not that invested in SW.
    It was a fun jaunt and I don't regret spending $12 and 2 hours on it.
    I liked it better than TLJ that's for sure.
    "You know, with Hitler, the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him."
    Norm MacDonald
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post