• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Solo (movie)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Opening May 25. Not sure how I feel about it.

Most recent trailer just dropped this weekend:

Alden Ehrenreich was decent in Hail Caesar, but he's seemed flat in any teaser/trailer releases and of course the rumors have been notorious about whether he was able to handle the role, how he needed an acting coach, and how it was part of the reason the directors were replaced. This trailer is no exception -- this is about the best I've seen him, and what's bizarre is that he's the lead character and Harrelson and maybe even Glover deliver more lines in this trailer than he does. That's not great. He's okay, but this movie needed stellar because of the hype and property. the leaks from the set (other actors who have watched the filming) are pretty much the same -- Ehrenreich is a decent actor, he wasn't good enough / suited for this particular role.

I'm kind of surprised they did not grab Anthony Ingruber for this. While The Age of Adeline was a so-so movie, Ingruber plays the younger version of Ford's character and was just jaw-dropping stellar, he was so spot-on... including the easy-going and fun side of Ford. (Ehrenreich still just looks like broody and stiff as Solo in comparison.) Yeah, he would have been 26-27 when shooting this, but Ford was in his 30's when he shot Star Wars... and Ehrenreich is actually a few months older than him, so age obviously wasn't an issue. Don't ask me. Sometimes the fans just bitch about things to bitch about them, but I don't feel like the trailers are drawing me in.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The production has been a bit of a mess on this one. This might be the first misfire of the Disney era. The last two films I'd rank as being equal to the OT (TFA tried a little too hard to be an anti-prequel, so I wouldn't quite place it on the level of the OT), but I'm not sure if they'll continue that with this.

I'll bet that's Corellia in the opening.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Well, that's a relief. Wonder if the audience reviews will take a beating like TLJ, though ( I remember that the audience responses were lower than some of the prequels, which I don't get, but whatevs).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like there's a campaign to boycott it, but I'm not sure how much that will affect the audience ratings.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney/Lucasfilm went on to release multiple character prequels/sidestories. Coming next Summer: The Dexter Jettster Story. To be followed by Boba: The High School Years.

Meh, it's Star Wars, I'll go see it for the experience. I'm just not expecting anything great.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can almost predict the plot. I mean, that's to be expected. I'm guessing his love interest will die toward the end, thus solidifying Solo's somewhat pessimistic outlook seen in A New Hope. We'll see the card game where he wins the falcon from Lando, we might see how he rescused Chewbacca from Imperial captivity. We'll see the Kessel Run and how they explain Lucas' original misuse of "parsec" away. Mostly all information we already know via past exposition, so the question is whether it's worth seeing all of that stretched out to two hours.

I'm really only excited to see Lando and Chewbacca at this point. Glover really looks and sounds the part so far. I always thought it was Lando and not Solo who deserved more backstory. Sure, he's basically a glorified side character in the original trilogy, but a hell of a lot more memorable than, say, Wedge or Porkins or even Admiral Ackbar. I'm still a little peeved they haven't found a way to work Lando into the sequels, considering Billy Dee Williams has always been pretty enthusiastic about his involvement in SW (unlike Ford) and would probably be happy to revisit the universe as an older Lando. And considering Luke and Han are dead and Leia probably won't be back due to Fisher's death, he's the last of the old guard if they want to continue the torch passing in the next film. I could see him maybe showing up as a rich and retired businessman contacted by the resistance for financial and moral support against the First Order. Perhaps he helps fund getting them some new ships after they stupidly lost their entire fleet in The Last Jedi.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm also curious to see the explanation for the Millennium Falcon's different appearance. I recall reading somewhere that the notch in the front of the ship was for pushing large cargo containers, hence the placement of the cockpit off to the side. Maybe Lando turned it into a Party Ship when he acquired it, then Solo returned it to its beat down appearance to make it a less high profile target for patrol ships.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Considered going to see it opening weekend, but I'm just tired of going to theater. Maybe I'll go the next weekend. It looks as if it will be an okay movie to see, but i'm not feeling particularly driven to actually leave home to go see it. I wonder if that will be a problem for it on Memorial day weekend -- it's a long weekend, but it's not like a ton of people are geared up.

Box-Office Preview: 'Solo' Headed for Lowest Opening of Disney 'Star Wars' Movies | Hollywood Reporter
‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Box Office Eyes Huge Opening – Variety

It seems no one is really set on how big this opening will be. Low end = 130$ million, high end = 180$ million. I'm betting on lower, although the fact it's a holiday weekend can't hurt.

I think the next big thing I really wanted to see was "The Incredibles 2" in mid-June.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot about this: Hereditary on June 8.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I'm seeing it tonight. I'll post my thoughts. Early reports suggest people find it less polarizing than Last Jedi. I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but the trailers promise lots of interesting new environments and gee-gaws, and of course Donald Glover as Lando. So... I'll see.

Beorn

Permabanned
Saw it.
I'm not that invested in SW.
It was a fun jaunt and I don't regret spending $12 and 2 hours on it.
I liked it better than TLJ that's for sure.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OK....I think Opie did a pretty good job considering the situation. I had fun. I didn't enjoy it as much as TLJ or Rogue One, but I liked it better than TFA. I suspect a lot of people will prefer it to TLJ. It's very action-packed. I don't get the folks who complained about the pacing... if anything, it seemed a little short.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As usual, I have read a few reviews which, from my own perspective, lead me to believe that the reviewers did not watch Solo, A Star Wars Story. Or they fell asleep towards the end. Or they just fake their way through everything like dyslexics who pretend they can read in order to have jobs and careers.

I watched Solo today. It is an origins story which steals a few plot elements from other Star Wars movies. This saddened me a little, particularly the final scene involving Qi'ra and Vos

I'm certain that, considering the predictability of internet reviews, there will be the usual cries of "Plot-hole!" because anything vaguely considered a mistake is called a plot-hole. But I didn't find any plot-holes during my single viewing of Solo. I did have to rethink things at the end, because the good guys, the only true good guys in the movie, appear very late in the movie. This leads some reviewers to believe that Solo was nothing more than a "crime caper" movie:
'Solo' is not a bomb | Nampa | idahopress.com

Yes, it is a "crime caper" movie for 95% of the way through. But even the very fresh Wikipedia article on Solo knows better:
because Han is

I appreciated the way Lando continued to say "Han" with a long A, which I think is a hold-over from the original Star Wars movies. That was a nice touch.

Some online have called Lando a "pansexual," but the most we can rightly determine is that he is a technosexual.

There was a lot of humor in Solo, but I didn't hear many people in the audience laughing.

There were a couple of obviously flubbed lines.

I thought Han was characterized correctly. He's a rogue with a heart. As for the famous dilemma of "who shot first," this movie (toward the very end) seemed to answer that question sufficiently, although I doubt that many viewers will make the connection.

The bad guys can't shoot for shit, as usual, unless you're hiding behind a metal object, at which point their aim at the metal object is perfect.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Tuned out of Star Wars after the clusterfuck otherwise known as The Force Awakens. Only watched Rogue One because someone paid me to. A friend of mine is a core Star Wars fan and he washed his hands of the series after The Last Jedi. I don't particularly relate to that. Nothing I've heard about TLJ sounds any worse than the dumpster fire that was TFA. But I suppose there's no accounting for taste.

It sounds like Solo is on the receiving end of a lot of bad will from TLJ. None of my friends have mentioned Solo without some kind of swipe at TLJ. Lucasfilm may have really screwed itself over with TLJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ Yeah, I'm still kind of annoyed at how critics could think TLJ was good. It had some moments but the interconnecting story was awful, so ultimately it doesn't mean much or make much sense.

Anyway:
‘Solo’ Box Office Disappointment is Wake Up Call for ‘Star Wars’

Worse than I suspected. A great opening for a movie, but a terrible opening for a Star Wars movie with a $250 million budget. It's also the movie no one really wanted -- like, why did they even make this? (It does sound like there were a few decent performances like Glover, and maybe Alden did better than people feared.)

---

I think the hubbub over whether Han shot first is mostly over how Lucas had the audacity to change the movie because he couldn't handle his precious Solo actually being a ruffian. It's more about what Lucas is trying to insist about his pirate rather than the implicit weight of the change per se.

I dunno. I was really turned off by TLJ and my enthusiasm for the entire movie series took a huge dive downwards. My general feeling is that I need to just play the games if I want any kind of good SW representation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't deal with the changes so I'm going to sue George Lucas.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Star Wars so much. But have had to reconcile that what I love are the first three and pretend I’ve moved to an alternate multiverse where the other movies were never made.

I liked rogue one for the most part.

Force awakens was ok. Had some good moments. Had some bad. (It’s hard to fear a sith lord who takes off his helmet to reveal ears that can allow takeoff).

Tlj. I can’t even. That movie made and makes me so angry to think of how much good will was squandered. How much of their budge was spent bribing the critics. I saw so many saying how it was a huge departure from past films. Are you kidding me? It’s empire in reverse. I just. I have to stop. No. Kyle ren shirtless. File that under things no one has ever asked for.

So. I wanted to want to go see solo. But tlj happened. And then I saw dany from got is in it and realized they picked her for the pop culture not because she’s a great actress. Because she’s stiff and not great but it’s ok. She’s a queen.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like solo a lot i thought it was a fun movie, I thought it was a good origin story and a good stand alone film, don't group in with the other trilogies because it doesn't belong there. anyways i reccomend it and everyone i've talked to who has seen it has liked it. IRL people online are just weirdos

also i'm not hypercritical movies to me are entertainment very few movies i can't stand most i enjoy seeing once others i could watch on repeat and I'll probably watch solo when it comes out on video.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, Emilia Clarke is an okay actress. Not super. Not bad. Kinda in the middle (at least from the movies and shows I've seen her in).

Basically, I won't watch something that she's in just because she's in it, but it's also not a "yuck, I don't wanna see that" because she's in it.

I don't know if that's much of a compliment though.

Yeah, I figure she got cast for Solo because she's a widely recognized actress now because of GoT but might not command as much salary... not sure what they gave her for this movie.