• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest
Paizo Announced Pathfinder 2nd Edition!!

Just shy of 10 years ago, on March 18th, 2008, we asked you to take a bold step with us and download the Alpha Playtest PDF for Pathfinder First Edition. Over the past decade, we've learned a lot about the game and the people who play it. We've talked with you on forums, we've gamed with you at conventions, and we've watched you play online and in person at countless venues. We went from updating mechanics to inventing new ones, adding a breadth of options to the game and making the system truly our own. We've made mistakes, and we've had huge triumphs. Now it is time to take all of that knowledge and make the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game even better.

By now, you've probably read all about the upcoming launch of the Playtest version of the game set to release on August 2nd, 2018 (but just in case you haven't, click here). In the weeks and months leading up to that release, we are going give you an in-depth look at this game, previewing all 12 of the classes and examining many of the most fundamental changes to the game. Of course, that is a long time to wait to get a complete picture, so I wanted to take this opportunity to give you insight into the game, how it works, and why we made the changes that we made. We will be covering these in much more detail later, but we thought it might be useful to give a general overview right now.

So the playtest is coming in August 2018.

When Pathfinder came out, I jumped to it from AD&D and never really looked back for some years -- it was like AD&D 3.75 so to speak, improving on the free core roles with its own flair. But it did have some problems of its own... one being scaling, as characters got higher in level the inequities between certain classes would grow, you'd get AC and damage and save problems (basically a huge arms race scenario), the need for a litter of magic items to compensate, and so on.

D&D 4 ended up being mostly disastrous, but when 5e came out, my group switched back to test and were pretty amazed at how WotC finally managed to streamline the gameplay while making sense. (And currently we will be staying in 5e for a bit.) This isn't a promo for DnD, just saying their 5e release was a huge improvement and made them competitive with Pathfinder again. Which is why I think Pathfinder is moving forward with revising their own rules as well, they have to stay in the game.

Anything about current Pathfinder that you really love and wish they would keep, or that you really hate and wish they would change for a second edition? I really appreciated when they revised / updated a few of the more broken classes a few years ago (like rogues, monks, and barbs). The rogue had become somewhat obsolete -- every class did part of what the rogues did better than the rogues, so the class got upgraded. Monks stopped being "flurry of misses." And so on.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, here's these bits from their FAQs:

What are the main differences in the new edition?
At its core, the story of both games is essentially the same. You still build your own character, venturing off on daring adventures, risking your life for a chance at fame and glory, defeating deadly foes that threaten your friends, your family, and perhaps the very world itself. Beyond the narrative, there are many things that have changed, but mostly in the details of how the game works. You still pick a race, even though it is now called your ancestry. You still decide on your class—the rulebook includes all of the core classes from the First Edition Core Rulebook, plus the alchemist. You still select feats, but these now come from a greater variety of sources, such as your ancestry, your class, and your skills.

Where the changes really shine through is in how the game is played. Gone are the confusing action types like move, standard, swift, and immediate, instead replaced with a simple system of three actions and one reaction each round. All of the varied systems and formulas for determining your character's bonuses and statistics, like saving throws, attack bonuses, and skills, have been unified in a single, easy-to-use proficiency system based on your choices and your character's level. You no longer need to collect a specific set of magic items to be a balanced character, relying on specific magical statistic bonuses. Instead, you get all of the bonuses you need from your regular armor and weapons, allowing the rest of your items to be truly wondrous.

Reducing the amount of actions that can be taken would be helpful (or categorizing them more simply). This is one of the benefits of DnD 5e -- basically you get one move action, one regular action, and depending on your abilities/class, you could have a bonus action and/or a reaction. it simplifies things immensely.

Does the new version of Pathfinder find a better balance between spellcasters and martial characters?
We certainly hope so. Many of the changes made to the game attempt to address this issue by adding versatility and power to martial characters. At the same time, spells have been redesigned to ensure that they are of the right power when first acquired, but diminish in utility over time, giving spellcasters the tools they need to contribute, while giving other characters a chance to shine with their abilities. Ultimately, we need you to tell us how well we have solved this issue. That is what playtesting is all about!

Basically in current Pathfinder, you can separate the classes into various tiers based on overall power over the course of 20 levels. I think everything in the top (Tier 1) is a full caster or close to it. At low levels, martial classes have an advantage, but once you reach the upper limits of the classes, your full casters basically dominate situations and the straight martial classes cannot compete. So this is what it looks like they are trying to remedy here.

This is all holdover from D&D as well ... casters would start as squishies but would have superpowerful spells if they survived to high levels, which could make things difficult for fighting classes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Preview of the Fighter class 2nd edition
Fighter Class Preview For Pathfinder 2nd Edition!!

This all looks kind of interesting, although I need to understand the overall system changes in order to get past the complications of reading it...

One neat thing in there is that different builds might seem to play more differently now. As well as Fighters become more of the martial skill wonks.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have yet to see anything that is displeasing with this. I'm very excited for it. My friends and I got into Pathfinder with the mindset that it'd get us more comfortable with D&D. I find that in both games, I care much more for the roleplaying than the math and precampaign set up. I'm definitely going to want to try it when it comes out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have yet to see anything that is displeasing with this. I'm very excited for it. My friends and I got into Pathfinder with the mindset that it'd get us more comfortable with D&D. I find that in both games, I care much more for the roleplaying than the math and precampaign set up. I'm definitely going to want to try it when it comes out.

I do enjoy character design and getting the "most bang for my buck" when it comes to builds... but at the same time, I enjoy the story and developing my character more than the mechanics for tabletop RPG. So I'm happy they are simplifying the whole thing and making it easier just to roleplay my character. In the end, when I look back at a game, what I remember is the story we told together.