• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Local Man derives a recurring message from The Simpsons: Ruins Everything

Atomic Fiend

"I watched all 620 episodes of the Simpsons in Month, Here is what I learned."
Basically the article comes to a one obvious conclusion and another less obvious one. The Simpsons hates Lisa Simpson, not Matt Groening, he loves Lisa, and she is in fact his favorite character (though he argues that sentiment disappeared after he left) No rather, what was derived was a formula for most Lisa centric episodes.
  1. Lisa is Gifted.
  2. Lisa is Punished for her Gift.
  3. Lisa Needs Help From Others to Escape her Punishment.
  4. [Lisa Tries to Share her Gift with the World.]
  5. [Lisa’s Gift is Rejected.]
  6. The Status Quo Ante is Restored; Everyone’s Pain is Healed Except for Lisa’s.
The Simpsons has several times taken its central characters into the future and imagined grown-up lives for Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. In the Golden Age episode “Lisa’s Wedding” (Season 6 episode 19), the future imagined for Lisa is rich and fulfilling: she has left Springfield to go to college, where she appears to be studying environmental science (at the library, she asks for “Ecosystem of the Marsh, by Thompson”). In post-Golden Age Simpsons, the futures imagined for Lisa are mostly awful. In “Holidays of Future Passed” (Season 23 episode 9), Lisa is unhappily married to Milhouse and has a poor relationship with her daughter Zia. She is also a successful businesswoman, despite the fact that the eight-year-old Lisa we know is consistently anti-corporate and wants a career as a jazz musician (or an environmental scientist). In “Days of Future Future” (Season 25 episode 18), Lisa is in her thirties and is again unhappily married to Milhouse. When Milhouse is bitten by a zombie and becomes a zombie himself, Lisa prefers this state of affairs, as it means she no longer has to suffer through a painful marriage. These futures feel like a betrayal of Matt Groening’s original idea of Lisa as “the one who will escape Springfield.” Post-Golden Age Simpsons is consistently unable to imagine a future in which Lisa fulfils the promise of her childhood excellence.
He then segues into other points that is by his admission are unintended by the show proper, from an episode to episode basis, however "Taken as a whole" which the show was never intended to be digested as.

The longer the show goes on, the more its structural message is a hidden endorsement of intellectual mediocrity. “Just pick a dead end and chill out till you die,” Homer advises Lisa, in “Lisa Simpson, This Isn’t Your Life.” We are, of course, meant to laugh at Homer’s laziness and stupidity. But taken as a 629-episode whole, The Simpsons in fact nominates “pick a dead end and chill out till you die” as the only approach to existence that it’s prepared to unreservedly endorse. For staying in his dead end, Homer is lavishly rewarded: with love, with friendship, with foreign travel. For trying to escape from hers, Lisa is punished again and again.

To be an unmarried childless woman, in The Simpsons, is to be pathetic. Look at Patti and Selma, or Edna Krabappel, or (in the later seasons) Lindsay Nagel. Happiness and normality, for the women of The Simpsons, reside in being married and having children, no matter how miserable this might make them. The other thing you can’t help but notice, watching all 629 episodes in a row, is that Marge’s disconnection from reality is essentially psychotic: as Anna Leszkiewicz points out in this New Statesman piece, Homer is an appalling husband and Marge should have left him years ago – long before (to take a random example) he framed her for a drunk-driving accident so that he could keep his licence. The view of marriage espoused by The Simpsons is one in which a woman must forgive her husband and stay with him, no matter how high the cost (in “Days of Future Future,” Marge literally commits suicide to be with Homer – she electrocutes herself so that she can live with the version of his personality that has been uploaded to a flash drive). The men of Springfield, on the other hand, are never burdened with the task of forgiving their meek, submissive wives.

I have to admit that despite the article stating that the writer is consuming Simpsons in a way that it was never intended to be, and that the messages maybe unconscious, that's alot of put on The Simpsons. Not that it isn't unjustified or not valid.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can't be the only one who's shocked that someone can watch every episode of this show, much less come away with something that might be mistaken as a coherent message. Right?

Atomic Fiend

I can't be the only one who's shocked that someone can watch every episode of this show, much less come away with something that might be mistaken as a coherent message. Right?

Some members haven't seen one episode of the simpsons believe it or not.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I agree with the points about Lisa (mainly in the later seasons which the writer recognises) and quite a few others, e.g. anti-intellectualism and mediocrity over ambition. But not with others, which is to be expected when someone does this: "I would put an episode of The Simpsons on in the background, while I was cooking, or doing boring admin work, or what have you. So I didn’t pay complete attention to every single second of every episode."

Specifically I disagree with this sentiment expressed in the article:

I’d like to propose that during its Golden Age, The Simpsons wasn’t really about character or plot. The denizens of Springfield – very much including the Simpson family – were never meant to be characters in any traditional dramatic sense. They were caricatures: collections of amusing traits.

Those of us who grew up loving Golden Age Simpsons didn’t love it because of the characters. We loved it because of its highly distinctive upbeat nihilism, and because of the sheer density of perfectly-delivered jokes that made up the true substance of every episode. We loved it because it was funny and that was it.

Put simply, The Simpsons stops trying to make you laugh and starts trying to make you care about its characters.

This is completely at odds with the multitude of sentimental episodes in the earlier Simpsons seasons. The very first episode in season 1 is about the family coping with financial struggles but ultimately gaining a beloved family pet. In episode 3 of the same season, Homer loses his job and becomes depressed about being unable to provide, he then attempts a suicide which his family intervene to stop and by the end of a campaign of safety rallies (after realising a new purpose for his life) Homer is given a new job at the power plant. Season 1 also had the very character driven episode "Moaning Lisa" which culminated in this climax between Marge and Lisa:

Marge: "I said you could stop smiling Lisa"

Lisa: "I feel like smiling"

Lisa's pain is healed perhaps? At least momentarily. Personally I see Lisa as the writer's expression of the reality of being intelligent & gifted and having to deal with the stupidity, mediocrity & casual cruelty of others. Though I am not such an intelligent or gifted individual myself I can imagine that for those people who are, such an isolation is lifelong and never ending. The root cause being an inherent difference that's difficult to reconcile with a few moments of closeness after a lifetime of indifference.

This reoccurs many times earlier on, the most famous example being Season 2: Episode 19 "Lisa's Substitute", the famous "You are Lisa Simpson" moment.

And here's just a few more examples of the Simpsons demonstrating plots designed to make you care about certain characters in a sentimental and (largely) lacking humour way:

Season 3 Episode 3 "When Flanders Failed" :

Season 6 Episode 13: And Maggie Makes Three:

Season 2 Episode 17: Old Money, although I'm struggling to find the scene I want, it's the episode in which Abe Simpson meets a lady in his retirement home who he falls in love with, but she then passes away leaving him a considerable amount of money. When he realises he is unable to enjoy the money without her by his side he ends up using it to renovate the retirement home for himself and the other elderly people who are living out their last days there. The scene itself is a wonderful moment and completely without an undercutting joke.

Season 7 Episode 5: Lisa the Vegetarian: Starts off with a conflict between Lisa's newfound leaning towards vegetarianism. I think this is another fairly famous episode (the flying pig is one of the more memorable moments) but it culminates in Lisa and Homer appearing to settle their differences on food consumption and Homer carries Lisa off on his shoulders in a rare tender moment of parental care. Although this one is undercut by the flying pig at the end. :D

My point is that there are innumerable episodes in the 'Golden age' of The Simpsons that show they clearly are character driven, want to make you care about those characters and have defined plots. This isn't to disagree with the sentiment that the humour is absurdist, it certainly is, but if all one takes away is that this was the only focus existing before this ill-defined*** Golden Age then I think next time it would be better to watch the episodes with attention fully engaged.

*** I say ill-defined because many people can't really agree on this point about which seasons this governs. For example I am happy up to about season 8 and halfway through season 9 (well actually "The Principal and the Pauper is episode 2 of this season and one of my least favourites, and apparently Matt Groening's as well: "In the introduction to the ninth season DVD boxset, series creator Matt Groening describes "The Principal and the Pauper" as "one of [his] least favorite episodes". He also called the episode "a mistake" in an interview with Rolling Stone.) but the episodes start to go down in quality from here in my opinion.

Although there is also a question of "jumping the shark" because even as early as season 5 we had episodes like "Deep Space Homer" where Homer....goes...into...er...space.

More than anything I map the decline of the seasons alongside the decline of Homer's character as a well-meaning (but not particularly bright) man trying to do the best for his family, into a Peter Griffin esque caricature who simply ambles around on impulse doing selfish and destructive things to the detriment of others & himself. This is of course something that has to be viewed in a matter of degrees, since this also happens quite often in earlier seasons as well.

It may simply be that a show which has gone on for so long eventually runs out of ideas and ways to remain creatively on top.

As South Park noticed: "The Simpsons did it".

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some members haven't seen one episode of the simpsons believe it or not.
Considering the age range of this place, that's easy to believe. People under the age of 20 live in a world where new episodes of the show have never been funny.

Ingrid in grids

I read as much of the original article as I could, and believe I read all of the essential parts. I think that his analysis makes some good points, but is largely off mark.

First of all, he starts off by saying that his task of watching the entire series began as a quest to determine where the show lots its appeal, which he believes was somewhere around Season 14/the early 2000s. He argues that the show began to decline in quality after losing its focus as an "absurdist comedy," and moving towards more complex character development. This is the first problem: the Simpsons is not primarily an absurdist comedy. It is fundamentally a sitcom, and adheres to all of the major hallmarks of the sitcom genre. Sure, it makes absurdist jokes which are memorable and meme-worthy, but that does not nearly explain its original or enduring appeal to audiences.

The main hallmarks of the sitcom genre are:

• Stable setting and small cast of recurring characters

• Episodic, circular narrative structure, in which the same premise undergoes tension, only to be returned to normality

• An overall aesthetic which underlies the text's artificiality (I think the absurdist jokes play into this. The show also makes use of breaking the fourth wall moments, and other devices to achieve this aim. A laugh track is another common example in sitcoms.)

• Comedic impetus/jokes, obviously

Another important function of sitcoms—and all successful comedy, at that—is to address the many contradictions, frustrations, and anxieties of life, and offer us some release from these through humour. The sitcom episode's structure typically goes like this: there is a premise of a (relatively, relatably) mainstream social/living situation; some kind of disruption is introduced which destabilises the norms of that premise; this leads to some kind of climax which may end in success, but usually defeat; and in the conclusion, things are ultimately resolved and returned back to the premise.

The author of the article is correct when he says that the following happens to Lisa. His summary of Lisa's plight is also a summary of the typical sitcom narrative structure.

Local Man said:
  1. Lisa is Gifted.
  2. Lisa is Punished for her Gift.
  3. Lisa Needs Help From Others to Escape her Punishment.
  4. [Lisa Tries to Share her Gift with the World.]
  5. [Lisa’s Gift is Rejected.]
  6. The Status Quo Ante is Restored; Everyone’s Pain is Healed Except for Lisa’s.

I think he's a bit off mark with this, however:

Local Man said:
You start to notice how often Lisa features in the show as the victim of unjust or even meaningless punishment – that is, how often she suffers for no real reason, and how seldom her suffering is redressed in any meaningful way. The other members of the central family – Homer, Bart, Marge, even Grandpa and Maggie – are generally rewarded for their troubles with growth, or love, or with the approval of the community (no matter how many times Homer gets fired, his job is always waiting for him when he makes amends; no matter how many times Bart hurts people, his friends stick with him; etc); or they’re rewarded with a helpful amnesia, so that they never have to fundamentally repair their flaws. In this new Simpsons paradigm, almost all of the main characters find their needs met at the end of each storyline: Bart is reunited with Milhouse; Homer is reunited with Marge. As the show goes on, it becomes clearer and clearer that Lisa is the only member of the Simpson family who almost never gets what she wants and needs.

The author seems to think this only happens to Lisa, but I would argue that all of the principal characters, as well as a lot of supporting characters, undergo the same pattern of aspiring for something greater or different to the status quo, subsequently going through an ordeal or quest to achieve that, and then ultimately returning back to their original place, either with relief or some sadness. I don't have a mental rolodex of Simpsons knowledge, but I recall that episode where Marge tries to re-alter the same old suit into different outfits, so that she can maintain a social calendar with a group of wealthier women. In doing this, she aspires to escape her social class. She also ultimately fails, and there's a return to the status quo. I guess Homer and Bart's aspirations for something beyond the norm are a bit more idiotic at times, but they are still aspirations towards something greater or different. I think Lisa's plight is more heartbreaking (this author seems to think she's essentially the show's punching bag) because compared with the other characters, she is the most earnest, hardworking, pure, and "good," and it seems that those traits, at least in the real world, should ultimately reward you, lead to happiness, and allow you to rise above mediocrity.

Lisa's character might be somewhat atypical in this way. Although, I can think of some other Smart Girlâ„¢ characters in other sitcoms who suffer in similar ways (e.g., Alex Dunphy in Modern Family). I don't think Lisa's plight is pointless and defeating though. Without Lisa, it's possible that audiences would not identify with the Simpsons family much at all. She is a crucial part of the family's address to the mainstream, and an important foil to the more idiotic characters around her. It's also entirely possible for sitcoms to defeat their characters in a way that superficially seems to reinforce the status quo, yet simultaneously (and perhaps more covertly) challenge the status quo in ways that are quite progressive.

When the author says the following, I can't help but draw parallels between Lisa's narrative structure and the classic sitcom, I Love Lucy.

Local Man said:
This pattern recurs with such frequency that it raises some disturbing questions about how The Simpsons represents both intellectual achievement and women. But first let’s look at some examples of what I mean when I talk about the pattern.

Local Man said:
Another reason for Lisa’s suffering is that The Simpsons endorses a deeply conservative view of the role of women in society. To be an unmarried childless woman, in The Simpsons, is to be pathetic. Look at Patti and Selma, or Edna Krabappel, or (in the later seasons) Lindsay Nagel. Happiness and normality, for the women of The Simpsons, reside in being married and having children, no matter how miserable this might make them.

[…]

The Simpsons, fundamentally, can’t accept the idea of a genuinely intelligent, self-determining woman who doesn’t shape her life around the needs of a man.

I Love Lucy was an enormously popular sitcom which ran in the 1950s. The sitcom focused on a working class married couple, housewife Lucy and her husband, Ricky. Across the show, Lucy aspires for something greater than her domestic role. The episodes typically focus on her attempts to break out of the domestic sphere, only for things to go horribly and hilariously wrong. Lucy fails, and the narrative returns to its premise with the Lucy and Ricky both returning to their respective gender roles in a truce. One of the main reasons why this sitcom was so popular was because it was successful in addressing the specific cultural/social contradictions, frustrations and anxieties of that time. In 1950s America, women were entering the workforce in greater numbers than they were in WWII. While the show's set-up might seem sexist by today's standards, the show challenged a lot of other social norms in ways that were progressive. While Lucy continues to fail, she's very persistent in her goal, and when you view the series as a whole, there's a greater critique of the domestic role of women. Lucy is also absolutely antithetical to the feminine housewife ideal of the 50s. She's completely disruptive, argumentative, impulsive, gluttonous, and a total clown. There was also a lot of off-screen stuff too. Lucy and Ricky were married in real life, and their romantic and creative partnership was shown to be quite egalitarian. Lucille Ball was also 40 when the show began its first season, and had her first child that same year. Her husband was a Cuban and 6 years her junior.

The thing is, while I Love Lucy was enormously successful in the 1950s, it wouldn't have had nearly as much appeal 10 years later, and certainly not 20 years later. In many ways, The Mary Tyler Moore show picked up where I Love Lucy left off later in the 1970s, by depicting a single, working woman in her 30s. By the late 90s/early 2000s, audiences were ready for Will and Grace, a sitcom with a principal gay character. In the 2010s, we have Modern Family.

The author thinks that the Simpsons has lost its popularity over the years because its writers have chosen to invest in more meaningful character development. I think they needed to do this out of necessity. The show needed this complexity to endure and maintain audience investment in its characters. The Simpsons is almost 30 years old. A dysfunctional white (or yellow, I guess) family does not quite address the unique social/cultural contradictions of our times quite like they did back in the 90s or early 2000s. I think that the writers have tried to compensate for this somewhat by padding the show with pop culture references, or introducing new situations which reference political or cultural events.

On the animation front, they are also now competing with a plethora of other far more subversive animated series, most of which are available on major streaming services, where viewers prefer to watch them. I think that striking a deal with a major streaming service could certainly improve things, but negotiating those deals can be far more complex than many people appreciate, and the Simpsons is literally the longest running scripted television show of all time.

My personal feelings on this, however, are that the original premise of the show has expired in its ability to address the cultural/social moment in a way that is fresh and satisfying. It will always be an iconic show and a giant in American pop culture, but I think it's time to retire. I don't think any animated show will come close to eclipsing its shadow.

The show hasn’t been funny since I was in my mid twenties. It fell into the trap of limiting it’s potential through a rigid formula. It became a caricature of itself.