• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoroughbreds Film

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The trailer:

The movie does have to do a little with horses but not the main part of the movie.

Recently of what has gone in the Typology Central community. A strange interest and questioning of such interests of whether people are interested psycho/sociopaths and not empaths. Well a similar theme goes along in this film.

Meet Lily, who is played by Anya Taylor-Joy who feels everything. [depicted on the right]

And then there's Amanda played by Olivia Cooke who feels nothing. [depicted on the left]

thoroughbreds-trailer-e1507754890410.jpg

I seriously enjoyed it. Although if I were to purely judge it by the actions done, it's probably then not that good. It was very predictable as in terms that a murder was going to happen. What I really enjoyed was the psychological landscape of the film. But the characters are unexpected. As the how and when weren't.

RIP Anton Yelchin who does bring humanity into the film out of these two girls. (they play as teenagers in the film)

I really learned a lot surprisingly about myself in this film. (me as my role as an empath and the meaning of my internal emotional life)

I recommend you go see it.

And listen to this bad ass song in the film:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see no one is into supporting new directors. It's really quite calm for a dark comedy.

The movie is almost played like a play. Since it was made by a former playwright.

I try to share what I like with you all, but you guys only make me feel like a super special snowflake because no one here is willing to share my interests.

:cry: please, let's be super special snowflakes... together.

Jaguar

While Amanda can’t feel anything – even when killing her horse with a knife.

What originality can I expect next, a school shooting?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What originality can I expect next, a school shooting?

Like I said, it's the conversation between the two I find most enjoying. The stuff done in the film is nothing new.

Breathing

I've heard of it but now that I've finally seen the trailer and I am pleasantly surprised. Your perspective makes me even more interested. That song is great. Too bad I live in the middle of nowhere and any movie theater is really far :(

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard a Marc Maron interview with this director. I heard him describe his inspiration of the movie as Heathers + The Shining, which is pretty much up my alley. I'll be watching this on vid, though.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard of it but now that I've finally seen the trailer and I am pleasantly surprised. Your perspective makes me even more interested. That song is great. Too bad I live in the middle of nowhere and any movie theater is really far :(

I heard a Marc Maron interview with this director. I heard him describe his inspiration of the movie as Heathers + The Shining, which is pretty much up my alley. I'll be watching this on vid, though.

Bless you both, Forever will not forget you when the day of reckoning comes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This has been on my to-watch list (mainly because it's got Anya Taylor-Joy and Anton Yelchin in it... in fact, it's Yelchin last film, I think. :( )

I think Taylor-Joy is the next wunderkind of the young actress crowd. Jennifer Lawrence was the same in her time but she's highly emotive in everything she does, even when not being emotive; I think Taylor-Joy is great because she's so enigmatic (you're not sure WHAT she's feeling) but still just as mesmerizing, she can do a lot with a little.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it.

Typologists might find the Ti (Amanda) vs Fe (Lily) interplay interesting... at least that's how I perceived them. Amanda mentions a number of diagnoses for her by the shrink, who she thinks is just throwing things at her from the DSM-IV.... the Borderline diagnosis was a joke, but I can see why the last one was antisocial w/ schizoid. The casting was terrific, playing to the strengths of both actresses.

What's funny is how the film grounds itself in the character of the junkie played by Anton Yelchin, it might be his last actual acting job (they finished filming two week before his death). He's so effortless, kind of a blowhard druglord wannabe who you can tell will never amount to any of his dreams, but he's really funny, nothing feels forced (he's natural in front of the camera), and ironically provides the humanity of the film. If you see it, you'll understand.

There's also this thing going where one character is learning from the other, and the one you think might be more messed up possibly is the less messed up of the two, in terms of knowing what friendship means and doing something out of that bond. There are a few structural problems with the film (mostly with the ending, which feels like they weren't quite sure how to end it or trail off with the right pacing), but the soundtrack is also pretty fascinating in terms of the growing percussive qualities and the house itself feels like yet another character in this very small cast -- it has to suggest aloofness and space between the characters, while still feeling lived in.

Occasionally a few of the framing shots are just a LITTLE too artsy / formulated, so it jerked me out of the film rather than leaving me immersed. But overall, yes, the framing and blocking of the characters is pretty decent.

Mark (Paul Sparks, House of Cards) has to project some level of villainy as Lily's stepdad, yet also gets across his perspective in a way that can be understood by the audience. So it's an interesting performance.

The whole film only clocks in at about 1:30, which usually means a bad film since there was probably too much cut w/o enough takes to replace... but that is not the case here. The acting is phenomenal.

The director is talented and we'll probably see more of him.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see no one is into supporting new directors. It's really quite calm for a dark comedy.

The movie is almost played like a play. Since it was made by a former playwright.

I try to share what I like with you all, but you guys only make me feel like a super special snowflake because no one here is willing to share my interests.

:cry: please, let's be super special snowflakes... together.

Dude.

I don't go to the movies. I'm sure I'll give it a whirl when it comes to streaming or HBO, eventually. Calm your tits.

Jaguar

The events in Fox Catcher really happened Jag. Think about that. Really happened. And no one is worried about it. Hmmm....

Thoroughbreds Film is the title of the thread. Surely you don't think I actually watched the friggin' thing?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The events in Fox Catcher really happened Jag. Think about that. Really happened. And no one is worried about it. Hmmm....

wtf

did you even have anything to say on topic here?

Lark

wtf

did you even have anything to say on topic here?

Yeah, I think I made it clear to [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] that I thought he was trying to expand the topic of the thread from being specific to a single movie but whatever, maybe I'll check threads for the likelihood of your taking offence at my posting in future.

FFS you'll not be happy until I'm restricted to the graveyard or my blog.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FFS you'll not be happy until I'm restricted to the graveyard or my blog.

as long as you continue to pepper threads with shit that has nothing to do with the topic...? yeah, then, that would be great. Thanks.

I mean, damn, I actually write a review of the movie that the thread is dedicated to, to bring the discussion back up... and instead you just again drag out something old of Jaguar's to snipe at from some bizarre angle. You're certainly not the victim here, any response I have to you is based on your posting behavior; and I've been cool when you've actually said something intelligent on topic.

Lark

as long as you continue to pepper threads with shit that has nothing to do with the topic...? yeah, then, that would be great. Thanks.

I mean, damn, I actually write a review of the movie that the thread is dedicated to, to bring the discussion back up... and instead you just again drag out something old of Jaguar's to snipe at from some bizarre angle. You're certainly not the victim here, any response I have to you is based on your posting behavior; and I've been cool when you've actually said something intelligent on topic.

Appreciate you've always confused the forum with your private property and all, or maybe you just take any opportunity to feel "so attacked".

Carry on constructing the safe space echo chamber there Toten, really like the yellow wall paper you'll have the place covered in shortly.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Appreciate you've always confused the forum with your private property and all, or maybe you just take any opportunity to feel "so attacked".

Carry on constructing the safe space echo chamber there Toten, really like the yellow wall paper you'll have the place covered in shortly.

?