123 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default How do you visualize or experience music?

Do you find yourself translating what you hear to colors? To smells? To light? How does music touch your soul and how do you interact with it on levels beyond the auditory restriction of the medium?

There have been a few other threads around this topic, how music makes you feel, but I am interested in the product so to speak. What do those strong internal responses to music allow you to create? What do they allow to imagine? What do they allow you to think? I am interested in the creative process, as it relates to your subjective interpretations of music.

MBTI
    NFP

Well if I'm really into a song I'll zone out pretty hard and imagine a sort of music video. I would say my mind would create something surreal, like strange landscapes and creatures. My mind would focus on experiencing physical sensations a bit too (like feeling strong wind, heat and smelling pleasant scents). Interesting question, I'd like to see others add to this.
    Last edited by Breathing; 03-11-2018 at 03:23 AM.
    Likes Dreamer, Lord Lavender liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by androidpurgatory View Post
    Well if I'm really into a song I'll zone out pretty hard and imagine a sort of music video. I would say my mind would create something surreal, like strange landscapes and creatures. My mind would focus on experiencing physical sensations a bit too (like feeling strong wind, heat and smelling pleasant scents). Interesting question, I'd like to see others add to this.
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Do these images or sensations you get tend to be imprinted to the song, meaning, once you hear it and make that connection in your own way, does that same landscape reappear? If not, would you say your emotions at the time play a role in how you respond to the same music?

Do you find your visualizations in general, tend to offer a language of their own, or do you seem to create from scratch with each new immersive experience?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm just super excited over this topic!
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

Slightly Petulant Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Wouldn’t that be synesthesia? I don’t hear colors. I do feel a wave of chills with pieces that really stir me inside. They either emanate from my head and cascade down my body or they run in the opposite direction. Lexicon had a thread on it a while back with articles saying if you experience chills with music your brain is wired with more receptors that respond to music. There are also studies comparing music to drugs in terms of stimulating the pleasure centers of the brain.

I think the more you listen to music and the more diverse your selections become the more your brain builds to accommodate your preferences. I may have more receptors keyed to musical input because I listen to so much music.
    Likes Dreamer, Lord Lavender liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Do you find yourself translating what you hear to colors? To smells? To light? How does music touch your soul and how do you interact with it on levels beyond the auditory restriction of the medium?
    You find the auditory nature of music to be a restriction?

Why the interest in this particular topic?

( I will provide a more substantive response later when less pressed for time.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Depends on the piece. Some like Adagio in G minor paint a man in religious despair and reverence, in conversation with his sky god.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Music has been very important to me, starting mostly in my teen years when I discovered the genres of music that I like. Prior to that it definitely meant a lot of me and the rare songs I really liked I really enjoyed, but I did not place a concerted effort into finding what I like until I got older.

Ultimately, music is an experience for me that can be come quite rich if I immerse myself in it (i.e. just listening and not doing much else). They key is though I have to like the music and it has to resonate with me in some way. Usually in the form of sound, but rarely I can connect with it in different ways. Unfortunately it's rather difficult to explain how I experience it since it is sort of its own category.

Excluding cases where the music does nothing for me, at the lowest level I will enjoy the sounds. No imagery or impressions, but it's still nice to listen to. Not much else to explain beyond this since this experience doesn't really differ all that much from other things.

At higher levels though it's a bigger deal. At it's highest I will get full "videos" in my head as I listen to it. Sometimes I will create one and it will come relatively quickly, but other times it just sort of comes to me (this usually only happens for songs with no music video, but not always). Lately, the videos I have created or that came to me have taken place in the D&D campaign I have made, and actually have been a pretty big source of fodder for it. The biggest reason is music will very often capture the sort of asthetic and emotional vibe of the world, and based on my players response to things this actually matched up pretty well (the campaign ended last year due to me graduating).

As for the emotional landscapes and aesthetics that I will feel, that is extremely difficult to explain. Its sort of like trying to explain happy, or the color blue to someone who has never experienced or seen it before. There is a lack of a decent reference point. In a lot of ways, I sort of need the person to listen and I will cross my fingers that they will "get" what I am seeing/feeling, but that rarely happens. Though, I do come across some people who will follow it very rarely. @Video is actually one of those people.

One constancy that I will experience though is feelings of other-worldlyness, or something that has departed from the every day and reality. I've been drawn to "unreal" things as far back as I can remember, so it definitely comes from my enjoyment of such things. In some ways, it feels like I'm a kid again going to some amazing place I have built up in my mind, and it is everything I want it to be. That feeling of satisfaction, immersion, and like there is something larger beyond what is being seen. I hesitate to call it a spiritual experience because I am not a spiritual person, but it would be somewhat close to that.

I feel like one of my life long goals is trying to find ways to actualize the experiences I have from listening to music, and finding ways to have others be able to share in that sort of experience. I mean, music was a very big reason I was able to create all of the things I did in my D&D campaign, and my players loved it, so I am definitely on to something.

Likes Stell, Sacrophagus, Lord Lavender liked this post

MBTI
    NFP

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Do these images or sensations you get tend to be imprinted to the song, meaning, once you hear it and make that connection in your own way, does that same landscape reappear? If not, would you say your emotions at the time play a role in how you respond to the same music?

Do you find your visualizations in general, tend to offer a language of their own, or do you seem to create from scratch with each new immersive experience?

Yeah I'd say that certain songs bring up the same images and sensations. I'll go back into the same daydream with a song, maybe build upon it here and there. A lot of songs share the same daydream actually. What I'm feeling will usually dictate what type of music I put on. The visualizations are what I would describe as abstract representations of my emotions I guess . I just go with the flow in my head and enjoy the experience.
    No apologies needed I just hope I answered your question thoroughly ; o

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I have perfect pitch, and so certain keys have certain associations for me--for example, color associations (A minor is yellow, B minor is dark blue, C# minor is sunset orange, G minor is green with flashes of yellow, etc.). Aside from that, I do what I assume most people do, which is to say I see music-inspired videos playing through my head while I'm listening. Since I often use music to inspire my writing, these videos frequently pertain to settings, characters, and events that I've made up as a part of my work in that art form.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]
    Likes Lord Lavender liked this post

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Listen to a foregone melody again, and it will be your ticket back to when you met.

I remember the melancholy of some earstwhile days, when music was my only mean of alleviation. I was addicted to Minor scales and gnomic modes.

No, I don't think in terms of colors or smells, rather, music is a channel to emotions I have isolated deep within. For catharsis and reconciliation.

I would express life through the frets of my guitar, visualize tesseracts and landscapes. There forms solar flares as I gently push my whammy bar, and supermassive blackholes when I caress the harmonics as I'm tapping my way through mixolydian.

Goosebumps may occur as I'm listening to music strongly reverberating my state of mind, to speak my mind.

e.g: The Best Of Times, Lakeside Park, Glasgow Kiss... etc.