User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    "The Scientist"
    I could never get the point of this song. The whole thing seems incredibly half-hearted, from the words to the music to the actual performance, just everything. It's as if they are not even trying and can't be bothered. Perhaps that is the point.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 so

I dont visualize it- but I DO- I do sometimes- often- have a musical soundtrack come and sort of describe events/feelings- in my life. Like Ill have something happen and then a song will come up to sort of like- add to the picture.

I dont see music. Or hear colors. Or anything like that. We were talking about that in one of my classes and I made a joke of- no thanks- I have enough shit going on without seeing auras or like tasting sounds.

No thanks. Im good. Dont need MORE.
    Do one thing every day that scares you- Eleanor Roosevelt

Johari

Nohari
    Likes Dreamer, Lord Lavender liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I could never get the point of this song. The whole thing seems incredibly half-hearted, from the words to the music to the actual performance, just everything. It's as if they are not even trying and can't be bothered. Perhaps that is the point.
    Mean!

If it clarifies anything, I typically use that particular song to get entranced and lost in thought. My focus doesn't tend to remain on the song all that long. Similar to Moonlight Sonata how there is, overall, little differentiation that shouts attention to itself at every bar.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Mean!

If it clarifies anything, I typically use that particular song to get entranced and lost in thought. My focus doesn't tend to remain on the song all that long. Similar to Moonlight Sonata how there is, overall, little differentiation that shouts attention to itself at every bar.
    That is what Philip Glass is for. Also try the soundtrack from Solaris sometime. (Moonlight Sonata has much more variation in it than that, if played with correct dynamics and emphasis.)

Also, how can my subjective opinion about a piece of music be mean? That's honestly what I think when I hear it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Floki liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That is what Philip Glass is for. Also try the soundtrack from Solaris sometime. (Moonlight Sonata has much more variation in it than that, if played with correct dynamics and emphasis.) Also, how can my subjective opinion about a piece of music be mean? That's honestly what I think when I hear it.
    I mean, ok fair point. Moonlight Sonata is one of the few songs I taught myself on piano so I know that there are undulations and curves. It's not quite THAT linear. I haven't listened to the Solaris soundtrack, I shall do that now!

And, I was just playing with you in using that mean face.

But, if you'd like some feedback on the matter, it can be construed as "mean" or hurtful to someone if you express your negative opinion just as they've explained how much they like it. It can feel like an attack because well, why else share that bit of information other than to share that you too, are aware of the song. It's like attempting to be empathetic towards something that isn't intended to be an emotional experience or bond. The negative opinion doesn't add anything to the positive emotion being felt by that person. Now, if they asked for your opinion, all hands off deck, feel free to tear it to pieces! I didn't quite have the words or linear thought to describe it but hopefully that makes sense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I mean, ok fair point. Moonlight Sonata is one of the few songs I taught myself on piano so I know that there are undulations and curves. It's not quite THAT linear. I haven't listened to the Solaris soundtrack, I shall do that now!

And, I was just playing with you in using that mean face.

But, if you'd like some feedback on the matter, it can be construed as "mean" or hurtful to someone if you express your negative opinion just as they've explained how much they like it. It can feel like an attack because well, why else share that bit of information other than to share that you too, are aware of the song. It's like attempting to be empathetic towards something that isn't intended to be an emotional experience or bond. The negative opinion doesn't add anything to the positive emotion being felt by that person. Now, if they asked for your opinion, all hands off deck, feel free to tear it to pieces! I didn't quite have the words or linear thought to describe it but hopefully that makes sense.
    Not too much. Music and art are subjective. Your positive opinion and my negative one are equally valid, and can easily coexist. If I was going to get worked up about other people having a negative opinion of things I like, well, I would have landed in the asylum long ago. In this case I was hoping you could explain what you hear in it, and what I might be overlooking. Quite a few people mention liking it, and unlike other music that I can say is just not my taste, this seems like something I might like, it just falls short.

Sometimes songs appeal to me in a visual way, but mostly the experience of listening does not have a visual component for me. The experience is more like inflections of emotion.

Music communicates emotions, inflections, and concepts where words fail. Like with almost every other subject matter, I have a very visual thought process with music. I remember listening to Bach and Beethoven in grade school and visualizing hunters on horseback and hounds chasing a fox. At the moment, I'm listening to industrial music that makes me think of a spider moving mechanically and rigidly down the surface of a wall.
    In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

"The Scientist" and "Fix You" are two of my go-to songs to bring me more in tune with my emotions. Not just negative or bleak emotions either. That point in "Fix You" about, 3/4 the way in where the music suddenly "releases", I can feel an internal freedom and weightlessness come alive on so many levels, it's sublime.
    I'm not big on "The Scientist" but "Fix You" gives me chills, especially live.

Likes Dreamer liked this post

Music the force which sets the landscape and the atmosphere for my imagination. Often times I like to simply lay around with my headphones on with my eyes closed and enjoy the vivid imagery my mind conjures as I enjoy the brief separation from the physical realm.

Usually, what I'm listening to is highly indicative of my mood -- Whereas some people can listen to music to heighten their energy level or alter their mood, for me, the dissonance between sound and emotion is just too uncomfortable, and I have to find something to listen to that suits how I'm feeling at that moment.

Unfortunately I just don't have the free time these days to scour the internet in search of new sounds, genres, and musicians the same way I used to, say, 6 or 7 years ago -- Some of the best periods in my life where I felt "whole" were where I put my headphones on and use long walks as periods of deep introspection.