User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I'm commenting to remind myself to return to this thread.

Music is more meaningful to me than the lyrics. I often give the song different meaning than was intended by the song writer. Or latching on to a refrain or line in the lyrics which can be construed in different ways. Some music consumes me, usually classical (vernacular definition), opera, ambient, etc. Others can enhance emotions or help to mitigate negative emotions. Some music evokes colours, sensations, etc.
    Likes Floki, Lord Lavender liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Wouldn't that be synesthesia? I don't hear colors. I do feel a wave of chills with pieces that really stir me inside. They either emanate from my head and cascade down my body or they run in the opposite direction. Lexicon had a thread on it a while back with articles saying if you experience chills with music your brain is wired with more receptors that respond to music. There are also studies comparing music to drugs in terms of stimulating the pleasure centers of the brain. I think the more you listen to music and the more diverse your selections become the more your brain builds to accommodate your preferences. I may have more receptors keyed to musical input because I listen to so much music.
    Hmm, not synethesia, though I wish I had it! But I'll try to explain what I mean (I'll post later to give more detail) is taking in the information through music, feeling a stir inside, an emotional response, could be a mental response, now, what does that response ultimately lead to? What do you create with that? What does that motivate within you? Do you find inspiration to write upon hearing a moving song? Maybe draw? Maybe even solve a problem by abstracting the interplay between the elements within a song? (This last question is what can occur for me )

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You find the auditory nature of music to be a restriction?
    Restriction in a sense that it is the limiting factor in the delivery of information, meaning that your personal response is only in reaction to the auditory flow of information. Now, if you were to attend the symphony or say, the ballet or opera, you would not only hear the music, but obtain the visual information as well.

I don't use "restriction" here in a negative sense as there is an undeniable beauty in the requirement for the listener to fill in the blanks with their subjective experience. We are not told how to "see", though guided and persuaded perhaps by the composition of the music, but we "see" through the creation of what our minds may produce upon hearing something that has entered your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why the interest in this particular topic? ( I will provide a more substantive response later when less pressed for time.)
    Oh simply because a song came on Spotify while I was working and it diverted my attention to something which felt rather moving and inspiring. The music was not simply background noise at that point. Then it got me thinking of how I prefer to listen to certain genres of music to encourage creative thought and I wanted to then see what other people's reaction to music may produce.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I'm commenting to remind myself to return to this thread.
    Oh heck no, you better not pull a "Dreamer" on me! I leave these sorts of posts all the time with the intent to return, and I probably only actually do like...25% of the time? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Oh heck no, you better not pull a "Dreamer" on me! I leave these sorts of posts all the time with the intent to return, and I probably only actually do like...25% of the time? Haha
    That's definitely my general strategy. I try.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I've had one funny thing for decades where certain keys are specific colors to me and it stays the same. It is related more to the conception of each key rather than me having perfect pitch, so I'm not sure what that means. They never change:

A = Green
    B = Orange
    C = Yellow
    D = Red
    E = Blue
    F = Purple
    G = Brown

Besides that I am imaginative with abstract sound, which is why I often use programmatic titles in my own pieces. My senses are not compartmentalized at all, but are always integrated. It's actually a Western European, German most specifically, that conceives of music as "absolute", as existing in isolation to any other senses and that was considered an ideal for years. The idea of using a picturesque title or any non-sound based association in the title or conception of the piece is very much looked down on in that philosophy. I've never been able to think that way. I've always created music videos in my head.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL
    Likes Lord Lavender liked this post

Master Apprentice Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Hmm, not synethesia, though I wish I had it! But I'll try to explain what I mean (I'll post later to give more detail) is taking in the information through music, feeling a stir inside, an emotional response, could be a mental response, now, what does that response ultimately lead to? What do you create with that? What does that motivate within you? Do you find inspiration to write upon hearing a moving song? Maybe draw? Maybe even solve a problem by abstracting the interplay between the elements within a song? (This last question is what can occur for me )
    Oh I’ve written entire short stories by inspiration gained by listening to a piece of music. It will generate all sorts of ideas or spark memories. Sometimes I listen to distract myself from thoughts.
    Likes Dreamer, Floki liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Music is more meaningful to me than the lyrics. I often give the song different meaning than was intended by the song writer. Or latching on to a refrain or line in the lyrics which can be construed in different ways. Some music consumes me, usually classical (vernacular definition), opera, ambient, etc. Others can enhance emotions or help to mitigate negative emotions. Some music evokes colours, sensations, etc.
    Same here. I had an argument with my brother and wanted to get that toxic shit out of my body. I went into my den and flipped on Coldplay's "Clocks." Just the piano intro, alone, can start zapping any negativity out of me. It's amazing, really.
    Likes Dreamer, bechimo, Floki liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Same here. I had an argument with my brother and wanted to get that toxic shit out of my body. I went into my den and flipped on Coldplay's "Clocks." Just the piano intro, alone, can start zapping any negativity out of me. It's amazing, really.
    "The Scientist" and "Fix You" are two of my go-to songs to bring me more in tune with my emotions. Not just negative or bleak emotions either. That point in "Fix You" about, 3/4 the way in where the music suddenly "releases", I can feel an internal freedom and weightlessness come alive on so many levels, it's sublime.