• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black Panther Franchise

Starry

It's not about being a racist, it's about the hype over a black superhero movie.

I still would be interested in understanding what the concern/challenge/point of interest is for you in all of this. I can't imagine you are suggesting this is the first superhero movie that was *hyped* in any way in order to generate interest and subsequent almighty dollars. And I can't imagine this is the first superhero movie that received attention you felt its quality did not warrant.

So why is this different?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still would be interested in understanding what the concern/challenge/point of interest is for you in all of this. I can't imagine you are suggesting this is the first superhero movie that was *hyped* in any way in order to generate interest and subsequent almighty dollars. And I can't imagine this is the first superhero movie that received attention you felt its quality did not warrant.

Because in order to generate an audience for a movie with cheap CGI, some media outlets felt that it was necessary to misrepresent and outlandishly hype the movie.

"Contrary to the Gill Scott Heron/Vince Staples track scorching the Black Panther trailer, this movie's revolution will be televised. It will be broadcast in movie theaters, on TV screens, and in the hearts and minds of audiences around the world who flocked to theaters to watch Hollywood's first black superhero in action.

Until an embarrassingly recent time (and still in this moment, if we're being realistic), Hollywood bigwigs hesitated to bet on women and people of color, especially in tentpole franchises like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

They were mistaken." (Proma Khosla)

It's not about the Black Panther, the movie is a social phenomenon...
"By now you've almost certainly heard the hype around "Black Panther." I'll add to it: It's worth seeing. It's not a perfect movie, but it's an important one.

The Afrofuturism is cool, and the fictional African state of Wakanda is adeptly realised. But it's also got a glacial first act and few standout characters (Letitia Wright as Black Panther's sister Shuri is most definitely the MVP). But hey, whatever. Subjectivity and all that. It's good, go see it, but keep this in mind: "Black Panther" is the least interesting thing about "Black Panther." It's a social phenomenon first and a film second." Daniel Van Boom, who also said, "Plus, with a worldwide first-weekend box office of over $350 million, "Black Panther" has shown Hollywood that, duh, movies led by black actors and actresses can draw huge audiences and make money." Yes, but you saw teachers in grade school telling their children that they must see this movie. So they CAN draw big money and huge audiences - after tons of hype and advertising for a movie with a dull first half, cheap CGI, and a number of other flaws mentioned by Mr. Van Boom.

Okay, I'm bored, so it's time to read an interesting article about space.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I predict there will be a Black Panther 2 and 3.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Let's just say that I don't like liars claiming things like "BP is the first black superhero movie" when it's not the first.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mal. It's okay. You don't have to watch Black Panther, neither the first one.. the second one.. nor the third one should there be sequels.

Business wise, it's a very successful movie. Just because it tops the box office, doesn't mean that that contribution had to be from your wallet.

I mean if you want to make a YouTube movie called White Panther, I'm not stopping you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mal. It's okay. You don't have to watch Black Panther, neither the first one.. the second one.. nor the third one should there be sequels.

Business wise, it's a very successful movie. Just because it tops the box office, doesn't mean that that contribution had to be from your wallet.

I mean if you want to make a YouTube movie called White Panther, I'm not stopping you.

One of these days I'll download the pirated version so I don't waste anything from my wallet. I heard that the first hour of it is boring. If the CGI is as bad as some say, I'll probably not waste more than 5 minutes of my time on this dog.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of these days I'll download the pirated version so I don't waste anything from my wallet. I heard that the first hour of it is boring. If the CGI is as bad as some say, I'll probably not waste more than 5 minutes of my time on this dog.

You could go and see it early for matinee pricing.

Starry

Let's just say that I don't like liars claiming things like "BP is the first black superhero movie" when it's not the first.

Is he the first black superhero to carry the entire movie though? Like he’s not “part of an ensemble” or more of a supporting character to like the dark, mysterious and painfully tormented but white as a ghost under that black bat suit Batman? (I don’t know shit about superhero movies). That’s what I thought the hype was all about but idfk.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is he the first black superhero to carry the entire movie though? Like he’s not “part of an ensemble” or more of a supporting character to like the dark, mysterious and painfully tormented but white as a ghost under that black bat suit Batman? (I don’t know shit about superhero movies). That’s what I thought the hype was all about but idfk.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

It is Marvel's first black superhero movie.

I wrote a little piece about Hancock in the Arts & Entertainment forum. It has a black superhero who carries the movie, and it is 10 years old.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that you can tell the difference between a small subset of people from a country that is created by immigrants on the back of a nation that was invaded, and took part of a slow genocide of it's natives, and then exploited human beings from other countries to further prop up the prosperity of that aforementioned nation only to (after using those human beings for several generations and prospering from all of the exploitation their ancestors took part in) hypocritically decide that all the things they have a indirect hand in enabling (By once again, coming from immigrants) , or that actually brought them to the dance on the global stage (diversity, democracy, and open trade), while espousing tradition. (which is using other nations people to further their own quality of life and wealth).

And a fictional country made in comics that has never gone outside of it's borders to begin with, exploited nothing but it's own resources, at a price to no one, and spoilers for the movie, if you read the comics you'd know this already:

Also Wakanda doesn't have a wall.

Wakanda does indeed have a wall. It's how they keep the rest of the world from learning how amazing they are.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that you can tell the difference between a small subset of people from a country that is created by immigrants on the back of a nation that was invaded, and took part of a slow genocide of it's natives, and then exploited human beings from other countries to further prop up the prosperity of that aforementioned nation only to (after using those human beings for several generations and prospering from all of the exploitation their ancestors took part in) hypocritically decide that all the things they have a indirect hand in enabling (By once again, coming from immigrants) , or that actually brought them to the dance on the global stage (diversity, democracy, and open trade), while espousing tradition. (which is using other nations people to further their own quality of life and wealth).

And a fictional country made in comics that has never gone outside of it's borders to begin with, exploited nothing but it's own resources, at a price to no one, and spoilers for the movie, if you read the comics you'd know this already:

Also Wakanda doesn't have a wall.

I will bring up an actual issue however, that is based on reality and not the wild musings of some troll who doesn't want someone to have nice things because it makes him feel bad.

There has been a lot of older sci fi fans who were groomed on the works of Tolkien and Roddenbery, who suddenly believe that fictional worlds don't matter and that they represent nothing in the real world, say nothing about it and as such can be discarded. For over 80 years the world of middle earth has allowed us entry to it via the page and the screen at the cinema, there we were able to see dozens of races that don't exist in our world interact with each with the only complaints being how long it would take before we could see them again. We're allowed to go to Westeros and watch political intrigue and battle after battle occur as we connect to and lose people we come to care about on an unreasonably personal level. We were able to chart the Alpha, Beta and delta quadrants with Kirk, Picard and Janeway, and hold Deep Space Nine with Sisko from the Dominion and of the complaints not one of them were "this couldn't exist."

And suddenly we have a film that is also science fiction and the biggest complaint isn't coming from people who've seen the movie, isn't about the quality of the CG in the scene when Killmonger and Panther are fighting the Vibranium caves, but that Wakanda, a nation created in science fiction comic books in the 1960s, can't exist and suddenly the film isn't worth watching because of that. That's a discussion I feel is one worth having.

It seems that suddenly you can only deal with the topic of race, if the race doesn't exist. Like with Bright, or District 9, or Avatar, however as soon as you have the races that have inspired those stories it suddenly becomes, counter intuitively so invalid.

"In some versions, Wakanda is hidden from the world. Since Bashenga's reign, the country has become highly independent and largely detached from outside influences. In some versions of the story, the country is literally hidden behind a giant wall and no one is allowed to enter."

Digital Lion

First thought: It must really suck to have less d*** than a 2 month old fetus and be eternally, obsessive-compulsively driven by the resultant soul-encompassing psychic rage, angst and self-loathing in the most painfully obvious ways. Thanks Patriarchy (and your bastard son Unearned Privilege)! :hi:

Second thought: Regardless of its flaws (real or imagined), Black Panther has significant cultural resonance, and particularly for a certain segment of the population. The end./