User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29,990

    Default What other historical drama TV shows would you like to see?

    I was thinking about this when I was posting in the other thread about the TV show Vikings, what other eras do you think could be a good historical drama?

    I think that the Borges was good, I didnt see its concluding episodes, or maybe I did, I think it may have been cancelled but it was great and I know a lot of other people who, prior to the whole dragons and magic, used to think of the Game of Thrones as a historical drama because of the association with the Wars of The Roses.

    Peeky Blinders kind of took a strange, historical dramatic, turn in the last series, featuring socialists, strikes, feminists and the Italian mob trying to intrude on domestic gangs and business terrain in the UK, it was good, really ramped the violence I thought too.

    What would you like to see and do you think its likely it would ever get produced?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I was thinking about this when I was posting in the other thread about the TV show Vikings, what other eras do you think could be a good historical drama?

    I think that the Borges was good, I didnt see its concluding episodes, or maybe I did, I think it may have been cancelled but it was great and I know a lot of other people who, prior to the whole dragons and magic, used to think of the Game of Thrones as a historical drama because of the association with the Wars of The Roses.

    Peeky Blinders kind of took a strange, historical dramatic, turn in the last series, featuring socialists, strikes, feminists and the Italian mob trying to intrude on domestic gangs and business terrain in the UK, it was good, really ramped the violence I thought too.

    What would you like to see and do you think its likely it would ever get produced?
    There is a historical drama based on The War of the Roses - The White Queen and The White Princess. The White Queen was ok but The White Princess is very good (just my personal feeling). I don't believe GoT is based on The War of the Roses at all, the 7 kingdoms is taken directly from the Heptarchy. Empire is based on A Lion in Winter (hence the family name Lyon in the series). It's great but not at all historical.

    I would love to see more Korean, Chinese and Japanese historical dramas. The K-dramas I have seen are wonderful like Jewel in the Palace and Ruler: Master of the Mask. The problem is that a lot of English speakers want stuff in English (even though the Vikings hardly spoke English) and hate subtitles. I never mind subtitles; I like to keep things in their original format.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Lark liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Madboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I would love to see more Korean, Chinese and Japanese historical dramas. The K-dramas I have seen are wonderful like Jewel in the Palace and Ruler: Master of the Mask. The problem is that a lot of English speakers want stuff in English (even though the Vikings hardly spoke English) and hate subtitles. I never mind subtitles; I like to keep things in their original format.
    I would like to second this. I currently have Knightfall on my DVR, and look forward to watching it. It is supposed to be about the Knights Templar and their fall.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madboot View Post
    I would like to second this. I currently have Knightfall on my DVR, and look forward to watching it. It is supposed to be about the Knights Templar and their fall.
    Yes I've been watching. It's ok so far. There is an actual investigative series about the Templars on the History Channel that's way more compelling, imo.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    I'd really like to see the story of the Batavia adapted. I think there's been several attempts, but so far nothing has come to fruition. Last I heard, Russel Crowe was going to produce it.


  6. #6
    Senior Member Madboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Yes I've been watching. It's ok so far. There is an actual investigative series about the Templars on the History Channel that's way more compelling, imo.
    I have that DVR'd as well. I'm already familiar with the history of the Templar order but one never knows when some new information may come to light.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    There is a historical drama based on The War of the Roses - The White Queen and The White Princess. The White Queen was ok but The White Princess is very good (just my personal feeling). I don't believe GoT is based on The War of the Roses at all, the 7 kingdoms is taken directly from the Heptarchy. Empire is based on A Lion in Winter (hence the family name Lyon in the series). It's great but not at all historical.

    I would love to see more Korean, Chinese and Japanese historical dramas. The K-dramas I have seen are wonderful like Jewel in the Palace and Ruler: Master of the Mask. The problem is that a lot of English speakers want stuff in English (even though the Vikings hardly spoke English) and hate subtitles. I never mind subtitles; I like to keep things in their original format.
    I just finished The White Queen and will soon be starting The White Princess. The first episode of TWQ was pretty underwhelming, in my opinion, but I'm glad it picked up a bit after a few episodes.

    I agree with you and don't understand the hate on subtitles. It's more authentic.. I can't watch something that's been dubbed.

Similar Threads

  1. What Movie Would You Like To See Remade?
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO