• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is art decoration or exploration?

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In a clip with Jordan Peterson he says that people mistake art for decoration, when it is in reality exploration.

Personally I think it is both.
People buy art(for example paintings) as decoration.
But I think the real value of art is in exploration for the individual doing the "crafting".

What are your thoughts?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can’t it be all that, and more?
Decoration, exploration, expression, inspiration. Other stuff ending in -ion.

Art’s whatever the hell we need or want it to be. :solidarity:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How can you define such a broad term with just two words? To abstract it, you may simply say art is an experience that is designed to tap into a part (or parts) of your psyche.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How can you define such a broad term with just two words? To abstract it, you may simply say art is an experience that is designed to tap into a part (or parts) of your psyche.

I was using Mr Petersons words.

But yes, that is a fancier way of putting it.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To answer your question using the terms provided, it's an exploration in my eyes, even as the one buying the art, it's an exploration into how you view and understand your reality, through that art, through that expression, even if it isn't of your own creation. Even if you aren't all that conscious of it the process of exploration is churning even still, beneath the surface, and it speaks to you through the preferences and art selections you've made. As the artist, the exploration is much more transparent and obvious IMO, to the artist that is. Sometimes to the viewer.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Imho it's both. Plainly said cause you can look at it and find it aesthetically pleasing (paintings, photographs for eg), but of course it's exploration as well.

But I have to agree with the user above, art is and can be way more than that. It depends on the individual though. Art is subjective. My mom for eg would say art is interesting but other than that she would not know what to do with it/have no name for it. I personally find art is everything, if you know what I mean. To me art is life. It's experiences, tragedies, nature, art is filled with all that and more. Life is what is inspiring me to create art. And it's also life that goes into my art.

Kind of got lost in thoughts here ... but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Imho it's both. Plainly said cause you can look at it and find it aesthetically pleasing (paintings, photographs for eg), but of course it's exploration as well.

But I have to agree with the user above, art is and can be way more than that. It depends on the individual though. Art is subjective. My mom for eg would say art is interesting but other than that she would not know what to do with it/have no name for it. I personally find art is everything, if you know what I mean. To me art is life. It's experiences, tragedies, nature, art is filled with all that and more. Life is what is inspiring me to create art. And it's also life that goes into my art.

Kind of got lost in thoughts here ... but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

I think you are absolutely right when you note that it is different for everyone.
Some people see art everywhere and absolutely love it.
Some people are quite frankly blind to art.
Then most of us are somewhere between those two.

According to the big five its caused by the the level of openness to experience.

Since its hereditary, I must ask: is your father artistic(just thinking that you are, but your mother not so much)

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think you are absolutely right when you note that it is different for everyone.
Some people see art everywhere and absolutely love it.
Some people are quite frankly blind to art.
Then most of us are somewhere between those two.

According to the big five its caused by the the level of openness to experience.

Since its hereditary, I must ask: is your father artistic(just thinking that you are, but your mother not so much)

I have yet to explore the big five, so I can not say too much about that theory. However, I think it's actually true and resonates with me, but I think this explanaition is a bit vague. I'd rather say (with me especially) there's this combination of interest, not only on an intellectual but also emotional level, to reflect on the life experiences I make, which lately has caused me more often to explore the topic of interest more in a scientific than emotional way. But then there's also the factor of wanting to create something with whatever interesting point you've found. Without the later part, there would be no art happening. There are enough people who love to explore and understand things on a deeper level, but not all of them use what they found to create art. There must be some kind of drive in you, I would guess an emotional one?, to wanna do something with your wisdom in a playful way. Taking a look at why almost anything in life seems to make me creative, I have realized because I naturally love to reflect on life experiences. A lot of stuff interests me and I want to gain deeper understanding of it. Sometimes I have personal reasons why certain topics interest me and I can take what I found after the exploration phase and sort of ingrain that wisdom into my own life to grow as a person and grow beyond what I was. It's as if there is some really massive insight hidden somewhere and I am on the hunt to find it. but here and there I use art to procss experiences and the feelings that come with it. Other times I just create because I enjoy the process of seeing something (especially a story) grow out of seemingly nowhere. It's kinda fascinating to see, especially in writing, that you can literally create a world when before thre was nothing but a blank page. There are more things that make me want to create, but these are the main. I think that gives off a lot of insight into how a big of a part art is in my life and how it seems to be connected with almost every nuance of my personality. Sorry for the rambling but like I needed to explore this topic a bit.

Yeah, my father was a professional musician, actually played in a what used to be an extremely popular band in Europe, and then later got into writing and published two books. But he wasn't your typical artsy-guy, he was also in part an intellectual. He was very good at talking and debating things, was very well-read and had big common knowledge, though he was raised by a poor, uneducated single-mom in a small village. I must say, he had never encouraged me to do anything creative or artsy, though. I just always had a big imagination, so he did not need to do anything to encourage me to get creative, really. And yeah, my mom has an intellectual understanding of art, we used to go to galleries together growing up. But she's as creative as a sponge - her own words. Given that my dad was more of a creative person, I still giggle whenever I remember that mom actually dislikes creative people. She really does. She can not understand them at all. She never understood me either, she has like zero understanding of what goes on in my head, lmao.

Sorry that this became a novel. But it's actually an interesting topic. It's something I have observed as well; all creative people I've ever met have at least one creative parent. It seems to have something to do with genes and/or parenting.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rather than asking what art is, I think it's better to ask why. Why do we like art? Why do we buy art and make art? What art is is directly relational to the why, because art can never exist on its own. It's inherently a part of the creators and viewers.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have yet to explore the big five, so I can not say too much about that theory. However, I think it's actually true and resonates with me, but I think this explanaition is a bit vague. I'd rather say (with me especially) there's this combination of interest, not only on an intellectual but also emotional level, to reflect on the life experiences I make, which lately has caused me more often to explore the topic of interest more in a scientific than emotional way. But then there's also the factor of wanting to create something with whatever interesting point you've found. Without the later part, there would be no art happening. There are enough people who love to explore and understand things on a deeper level, but not all of them use what they found to create art. There must be some kind of drive in you, I would guess an emotional one?, to wanna do something with your wisdom in a playful way. Taking a look at why almost anything in life seems to make me creative, I have realized because I naturally love to reflect on life experiences. A lot of stuff interests me and I want to gain deeper understanding of it. Sometimes I have personal reasons why certain topics interest me and I can take what I found after the exploration phase and sort of ingrain that wisdom into my own life to grow as a person and grow beyond what I was. It's as if there is some really massive insight hidden somewhere and I am on the hunt to find it. but here and there I use art to procss experiences and the feelings that come with it. Other times I just create because I enjoy the process of seeing something (especially a story) grow out of seemingly nowhere. It's kinda fascinating to see, especially in writing, that you can literally create a world when before thre was nothing but a blank page. There are more things that make me want to create, but these are the main. I think that gives off a lot of insight into how a big of a part art is in my life and how it seems to be connected with almost every nuance of my personality. Sorry for the rambling but like I needed to explore this topic a bit.

Yeah, my father was a professional musician, actually played in a what used to be an extremely popular band in Europe, and then later got into writing and published two books. But he wasn't your typical artsy-guy, he was also in part an intellectual. He was very good at talking and debating things, was very well-read and had big common knowledge, though he was raised by a poor, uneducated single-mom in a small village. I must say, he had never encouraged me to do anything creative or artsy, though. I just always had a big imagination, so he did not need to do anything to encourage me to get creative, really. And yeah, my mom has an intellectual understanding of art, we used to go to galleries together growing up. But she's as creative as a sponge - her own words. Given that my dad was more of a creative person, I still giggle whenever I remember that mom actually dislikes creative people. She really does. She can not understand them at all. She never understood me either, she has like zero understanding of what goes on in my head, lmao.

Sorry that this became a novel. But it's actually an interesting topic. It's something I have observed as well; all creative people I've ever met have at least one creative parent. It seems to have something to do with genes and/or parenting.

Well, that was a lot of text:newwink:.

I do recommend you to explore the big five.
I find it very fascinating.
It does, to a degree, explain how we all see the world through different prisms.

You differentiated between intellectuals and artists. Well, if I remember correctly, the openness to experience branches out into two different things; interest in ideas and aesthetics.

Concerning your moms dislike for creative people. I think that is rather common. Or at least the not understanding part.

Just a request from my part. When you write a wall of text, could you insert a few line breaks. It would make it a bit easier to read(and I enjoyed readning it).