User Tag List

123 Last

Default Post a Quote from the Book You're Reading

I'll start.

Correct and accurate conclusions may be arrived at if we carefully observe the relation of the spheres of concepts, and only conclude that one sphere is contained in a third sphere, when we have clearly seen that this first sphere is contained in a second, which in its turn is contained in the third. On the other hand, the art of sophistry lies in casting only a superficial glance at the relations of the spheres of the concepts, and then manipulating these relations to suit our purposes, generally in the following way: — When the sphere of an observed concept lies partly within that of another concept, and partly within a third altogether different sphere, we treat it as if it lay entirely within the one or the other, as may suit our purpose.
    In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Gunboat Diplomat, Kas, Gentleman Jack liked this post

Rick is like saying

Now get out of here, you're cramping my style
    and Morty is like saying

Aw, man
    Its vol. 5 of Rick and Morty comics, Tiny Rick, so far its a good read, I got it because the next series of Rick and Morty feels like it is a long, long, long way away in 2019.
    Likes Floki, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

"Even alert parents cannot always understand their children, but they will respect their children's feelings even when they cannot understand them. Where there is no such respect, their children seek refuge from a painful truth in ideologies. Nationalism, racism, fascism are in fact nothing other than ideological guises of the flight from painful, unconscious memories of endured contempt into the dangerous, destructive disrespect for human life, glorified as a political program. The formerly hidden cruelty that was exercised upon the powerless child now becomes only too apparent in the violence of such "political" groups. Its origins in childhood, in the total disregard of the former child, however, remain concealed or absolutely denied, not only by the members of these groups but by society as a whole."

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

"Willpower isn’t just a skill. It’s a muscle, like the muscles in your arms or legs, and it gets tired as it works harder, so there’s less power left over for other things."---

Charles Duhigg, The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    784 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

"Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause..."
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

You must be human . . . how weirdly exotic and excitingly perverse...

I am the Cat who walks by Himself, and all places are alike to me...

There were people who lied for gain, people who lied from pain,
    people who lied simply because the concept of telling the truth was utterly alien to them,
    and then there were people who lied because they were waiting for it to be time to tell the truth...

Se > Ti > Fe = Ni > Ne = Si > Te = Fi

I hope no reader will suppose that ‘mere’ Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions - as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or anything else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable. It is true that some people may find they have to wait in the hall for a considerable time, while others feel certain almost at once which door they must knock at. I do not know why there is this difference, but I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait.

When you do get into your room you will find that the “good which you would not have had otherwise. But you must regard it as waiting, not as camping. You must keep on praying for light: and, of course, even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house. And above all you must he asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and panelling. In plain language, the question should never be: ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular doorkeeper?’

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still In the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.
    From C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

"They were now fluffing around in the snow. She'd shooed them out like a pack of puppies so they wouldn't wake up Ben, then got annoyed when she heard his voice on the phone, realizing he was already up." Dark Places, Gillian Flynn

totally need more time to read for pleasure instead of for class
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    784 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

"Objects come with their own energies-both those that they naturally embody, and those that they accumulate..."
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

You must be human . . . how weirdly exotic and excitingly perverse...

I am the Cat who walks by Himself, and all places are alike to me...

There were people who lied for gain, people who lied from pain,
    people who lied simply because the concept of telling the truth was utterly alien to them,
    and then there were people who lied because they were waiting for it to be time to tell the truth...

Se > Ti > Fe = Ni > Ne = Si > Te = Fi

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

"Just imagine becoming the way you used to be as a very young child, before you understood the meaning of any word, before opinions took over your mind. The real you is loving, joyful, and free. The real you is just like a flower, just like the wind, just like the ocean, just like the sun."

"Those leaders who never think they are wrong, who never question their judgments or perspectives, are a danger to the organizations and people they lead. In some cases, they are a danger to the nation and the world."
    Likes Floki, Gentleman Jack liked this post