• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post a Quote from the Book You're Reading

Tater

I'll start.

Correct and accurate conclusions may be arrived at if we carefully observe the relation of the spheres of concepts, and only conclude that one sphere is contained in a third sphere, when we have clearly seen that this first sphere is contained in a second, which in its turn is contained in the third. On the other hand, the art of sophistry lies in casting only a superficial glance at the relations of the spheres of the concepts, and then manipulating these relations to suit our purposes, generally in the following way: — When the sphere of an observed concept lies partly within that of another concept, and partly within a third altogether different sphere, we treat it as if it lay entirely within the one or the other, as may suit our purpose.

Lark

Rick is like saying

Now get out of here, you're cramping my style

and Morty is like saying

Its vol. 5 of Rick and Morty comics, Tiny Rick, so far its a good read, I got it because the next series of Rick and Morty feels like it is a long, long, long way away in 2019.

Digital Lion

"Even alert parents cannot always understand their children, but they will respect their children's feelings even when they cannot understand them. Where there is no such respect, their children seek refuge from a painful truth in ideologies. Nationalism, racism, fascism are in fact nothing other than ideological guises of the flight from painful, unconscious memories of endured contempt into the dangerous, destructive disrespect for human life, glorified as a political program. The formerly hidden cruelty that was exercised upon the powerless child now becomes only too apparent in the violence of such "political" groups. Its origins in childhood, in the total disregard of the former child, however, remain concealed or absolutely denied, not only by the members of these groups but by society as a whole."

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Willpower isn’t just a skill. It’s a muscle, like the muscles in your arms or legs, and it gets tired as it works harder, so there’s less power left over for other things."---

Charles Duhigg, The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
"Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause..."

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope no reader will suppose that ‘mere’ Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions - as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or anything else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable. It is true that some people may find they have to wait in the hall for a considerable time, while others feel certain almost at once which door they must knock at. I do not know why there is this difference, but I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait.

When you do get into your room you will find that the “good which you would not have had otherwise. But you must regard it as waiting, not as camping. You must keep on praying for light: and, of course, even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house. And above all you must he asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and panelling. In plain language, the question should never be: ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular doorkeeper?’

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still In the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.

From C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"They were now fluffing around in the snow. She'd shooed them out like a pack of puppies so they wouldn't wake up Ben, then got annoyed when she heard his voice on the phone, realizing he was already up." Dark Places, Gillian Flynn

totally need more time to read for pleasure instead of for class :sadbanana:

The Cat

Staff member
"Objects come with their own energies-both those that they naturally embody, and those that they accumulate..."

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Just imagine becoming the way you used to be as a very young child, before you understood the meaning of any word, before opinions took over your mind. The real you is loving, joyful, and free. The real you is just like a flower, just like the wind, just like the ocean, just like the sun."

Jaguar

"Those leaders who never think they are wrong, who never question their judgments or perspectives, are a danger to the organizations and people they lead. In some cases, they are a danger to the nation and the world."

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"When a person dies, there arises this doubt: "He still exists," say some; "He does not," say others. I want you to teach me the truth."
― Katha Upanishad, The Upanishads

The Cat

Staff member
"What is the difference between pleasure and ecstasy?"

Lark

I call this experience the Groundhog Day Condition.

- Paul Hannam, The Wisdom of Groundhog Day

rav3n

I remember hearing an old Duchess say: "What do the poor want with holidays? They ought to work." People nowadays are less frank, but the sentiment persists, and is the source of much of our economic confusion.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
"Defenders of segregation thought their cafes and barbecue huts and diners were extensions of their homes. They ran their restaurants like they ran those homes, treating white customers as guests and telling themselves they treated black cooks, bussers and waiters like family. On that basis, white resturanteurs built reputations for warm hospitality, until the sit -in movement exposed the realities of life below the line mapped by Mason and Dixon."

- The Potlikker Papers A Food History of the Modern South by John T Edge

Kas

Fabula rasa
"Now he knew that his world is different from the worlds of others as much as different as chocolate from white borscht- they are not supposed to be compared and he is not supposed to claim that chocolate is better, but it is. He regretted that others can't taste it, but same time he was happy that only he can. Possessing the whole world seemed to be something incredible."

The Cat

Staff member
What is here is elsewhere.
What is not here is nowhere.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Educated women were the gatekeepers, the guardians of eugenic marriages, though fecund poor women continued to outbreed their female betters. So-called experts contended that those who overindulged in sexual activity and lacked intellectual restraint were more likely to have feeble children. (Here they were imagining poor whites fornicating in the bushes.) Once experts like Davenport identified harlotry and poverty as inherited traits, sexually agressive women of the lower classes were viewed as the carriers of degenerate germ protoplasm. In 1910, Henry Goddard, who ran a testing laboratory for feebleminded boys and girls in Vineland, New Jersey, invented a new eugenic classification: the moron. More intelligent than idiots and imbeciles, morons were especially troublesome because they could pass for normal. Female morons could enter polite homes as servants and seduce young men or be seduced by them. It was thought to be a real problem.

"The fear of promiscuous poor women led eugenics reformers to push for the construction of additional asylums to house poor white women. In this effort, they deployed the term 'segregation', the same as was used by southerners to enforce white-black seperation. The 'passing' female was not a new trope either: it borrowed from the southern fear of the passing mulatto, who might marry into a prominent family. Passing also conjured the old English fears of the class interloper and unregulated social mobility--the house servant seducing the lord of the manor.

"Even with such racial overtones, the major target of eugenicists was the poor white woman. Goddard's description of the female moron as one lacking forethought, vitality, or any sense of shame perfectly replicated Reconstruction writers' portrayl of white trash. Davenport felt the best policy was to quarantine dangerous women during their fertile years. How this policy prescription led to sterilization is rather more calculated: interested politicians and eager reformers concluded it was cheaper to operate on women than to house them in asylums for decades. Southern eugenicists in particular argued that sterilization helped the economy by sending poor women back into the population safely neutered but still able to work at menial jobs.

"World War I fueled the eugenics campaign. First of all, the army refused to issue soldiers prophylctics. The top brass insisted that sexual control required a degree of internal discipline, which no army program would effectively inculcate. The army, along with local antivice groups, rounded up some thirty thousand prostitutes and placed as many as possible in detention center and jails where they were kept out of reach of soldiers. Thus the federal government backed a policy of sexual segregation of tainted women. At the same time, advocates for the draft argued that a volunteer force would be both unfair and uneugenic. Senator John Sharp of Mississippi insisted that without a draft only the 'best blood' would go to the front, leaving behind those of an 'inferior mold' to 'beget the next race.' "