• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post a Quote from the Book You're Reading

Tater

"Truth, in the great practical concerns of life, is so much a question of the reconciling and combining of opposites, that very few have minds sufficiently capacious and impartial to make the adjustment with an approach to correctness, and it has to be made by the rough process of a struggle between combatants fighting under hostile banners."

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recalled that among the Ethiopians it is well known that monkeys deliberately do not speak so they will not be obliged to work, and I attributed Argos’ silence to suspicion or fear.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So this is from a really bad web novel I've been reading. I really don't know why, it's really terrible, but I keep coming back to it.

Just to show how bad it is, this is a quote from it.

"A philosopher once said never to step on the cat's tail every few days as the cat will hate you."

The context being the protagonist was throwing (really bad) insults at his enemy, making his enemy enrage and lose his marbles. Hahaha, so bad, so bad.

Why am I reading this crap...

edit: And I mean really bad. Here's one of the insults he threw his enemies way:

"Hey, hey, only women fight with nails. Also, why do you keep such long nails? Aren't you afraid that you'll accidentally poke your brain when you're picking your nose?" Lin Huang felt that his performance was amazing since his insulting skills had reached level 180.

And still I keep going back to it and read newly released chapters.. Why... I don't even.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Stay in the present moment.
Don't Try so hard.
Drop your expectations and judgements.
Surrender.
Stay in the Present Moment.
Be more conscious.
Stay in the Present Moment...

Kas

Fabula rasa
"The people who are really crazy are those who see everything that is happening around and stay normal"

Tater

When human life lay foully prostrate upon the earth, crushed down under the weight of religion... a man of Greece first ventured to lift up his mortal eyes and to confront religion face to face. Neither the story of the gods or thunderbolts or heaven with threatening roar could quell him - they only inflamed the eager courage of his soul, filling him with desire to be the first to burst through the fast bars of nature's portals. Thus, the vivacity of his soul gained the day. He passed far beyond the flaming walls of the world and traversed throughout the immeasurable universe in mind and spirit. From this journey, he returned conqueror to tell us what can, and what cannot, come into being; in short, he returned to tell us what principle each thing has its powers defined, its deepest boundary mark. Therefore religion is put under foot and trampled upon, and his victory brings us level with heaven.

Jaguar

"My being president appears to have literally driven some white people insane."

Kas

Fabula rasa
"This is oversimplification. One does not escape that easily from the seduction of an effete way of life. You cannot arbitrarily say to yourself, I will now continue my life as it was before this thing. Success happened to me. But once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a life without struggle you are equipped with the basic means of salvation. Once you know this is true, that the heart of man, his body and his brain, are forged in a white-hot furnace for the purpose of conflict (the struggle of creation)and that with the conflict removed, the man is sword cutting daisies, that not privation but luxury is wolf at the door and that the fangs of this wolf are the little vanities and conceits and laxities that Success is heir to-why , then with this knowledge you are at least in position of knowing where danger lies."

"the man is sword cutting daisies" <3

Jaguar

Every day is extra means living with the liberating truth of knowing there are worse things than losing an argument or even an election—the worst thing of all would be to waste the gift of an extra day by sitting on the sidelines indifferent to a problem.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“One of the strange things about living in the world is that it is only now and then one is quite sure one is going to live forever and ever and ever. One knows it sometimes when one gets up at the tender solemn dawn-time and goes out and stands out and throws one's head far back and looks up and up and watches the pale sky slowly changing and flushing and marvelous unknown things happening until the East almost makes one cry out and one's heart stands still at the strange unchanging majesty of the rising of the sun--which has been happening every morning for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. One knows it then for a moment or so. And one knows it sometimes when one stands by oneself in a wood at sunset and the mysterious deep gold stillness slanting through and under the branches seems to be saying slowly again and again something one cannot quite hear, however much one tries. Then sometimes the immense quiet of the dark blue at night with the millions of stars waiting and watching makes one sure; and sometimes a sound of far-off music makes it true; and sometimes a look in someone's eyes.”

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but size.”

“What does the fish think when he is jerked up by the mouth through the silver limits of existence and into a new universe where the air drowns him and the light is blue madness? Where huge bipeds with no gills stuff it into a suffocating box and cover it with wet weeds to die?”

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (Stephen King)

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
"The first space hamsters were created by wizards who used magic to shrink giant space hamsters to wee size, leading their creators to refer to them as miniature giant space hamsters. The magic also made the space hamsters smarter and telepathic.

These benign rodents are native to Wildspace, though countless numbers of them have found their way to worlds throughout the Material Plane, where they are known simply as hamsters. They keep their telepathic ability hidden from most other creatures they come near."
Spelljammer: Adventures in Space. Boo's Astral Menagerie.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“Never fear another challenger, no matter how large; Never despise another challenger, no matter how small.”

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or is it your reputation that’s bothering you? But look at how soon we’re all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of all those applauding hands. The people who praise us—how capricious they are, how arbitrary. And the tiny region in which it all takes place. The whole earth a point in space—and most of it uninhabited. How many people there will be to admire you, and who they are.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
“In 453, Attila died, apparently choking to death on his own blood thanks to the combination of a massive drinking binge and an equally massive nosebleed, on the night of his wedding to a beautiful woman called Ildico.”

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"He thought he was at last beginning to fully understand what that innocuous phrase—the world has moved on—really meant. What a breadth of ignorance and evil it covered. And what a depth.”

The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands (Stephen King)