User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

"When a person dies, there arises this doubt: "He still exists," say some; "He does not," say others. I want you to teach me the truth."
    ― Katha Upanishad, The Upanishads
    "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."
    Likes Tater, The Cat liked this post

Permabanned

The medium is the message.
    Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    LGBT

"What is the difference between pleasure and ecstasy?"
    I am the Cat who walks by themself; and all places are alike to me...

For the cat is cryptic,
    and close to strange things which men cannot see.
    They are the soul of antique Aegyptus,
    and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir.
    They are the kin of the jungle’s lords,
    and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa.
    The Sphinx is their cousin, and they speak her language;
    but they are more ancient than the Sphinx,
    and remember that which she hath forgotten...

I call this experience the Groundhog Day Condition.

- Paul Hannam, The Wisdom of Groundhog Day

I remember hearing an old Duchess say: "What do the poor want with holidays? They ought to work." People nowadays are less frank, but the sentiment persists, and is the source of much of our economic confusion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

"Defenders of segregation thought their cafes and barbecue huts and diners were extensions of their homes. They ran their restaurants like they ran those homes, treating white customers as guests and telling themselves they treated black cooks, bussers and waiters like family. On that basis, white resturanteurs built reputations for warm hospitality, until the sit -in movement exposed the realities of life below the line mapped by Mason and Dixon."

- The Potlikker Papers A Food History of the Modern South by John T Edge
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

"Now he knew that his world is different from the worlds of others as much as different as chocolate from white borscht- they are not supposed to be compared and he is not supposed to claim that chocolate is better, but it is. He regretted that others can't taste it, but same time he was happy that only he can. Possessing the whole world seemed to be something incredible."
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    LGBT

What is here is elsewhere.
    What is not here is nowhere.
    I am the Cat who walks by themself; and all places are alike to me...

For the cat is cryptic,
    and close to strange things which men cannot see.
    They are the soul of antique Aegyptus,
    and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir.
    They are the kin of the jungle’s lords,
    and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa.
    The Sphinx is their cousin, and they speak her language;
    but they are more ancient than the Sphinx,
    and remember that which she hath forgotten...

Likes Lord Lavender liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

"Educated women were the gatekeepers, the guardians of eugenic marriages, though fecund poor women continued to outbreed their female betters. So-called experts contended that those who overindulged in sexual activity and lacked intellectual restraint were more likely to have feeble children. (Here they were imagining poor whites fornicating in the bushes.) Once experts like Davenport identified harlotry and poverty as inherited traits, sexually agressive women of the lower classes were viewed as the carriers of degenerate germ protoplasm. In 1910, Henry Goddard, who ran a testing laboratory for feebleminded boys and girls in Vineland, New Jersey, invented a new eugenic classification: the moron. More intelligent than idiots and imbeciles, morons were especially troublesome because they could pass for normal. Female morons could enter polite homes as servants and seduce young men or be seduced by them. It was thought to be a real problem.

"The fear of promiscuous poor women led eugenics reformers to push for the construction of additional asylums to house poor white women. In this effort, they deployed the term 'segregation', the same as was used by southerners to enforce white-black seperation. The 'passing' female was not a new trope either: it borrowed from the southern fear of the passing mulatto, who might marry into a prominent family. Passing also conjured the old English fears of the class interloper and unregulated social mobility--the house servant seducing the lord of the manor.

"Even with such racial overtones, the major target of eugenicists was the poor white woman. Goddard's description of the female moron as one lacking forethought, vitality, or any sense of shame perfectly replicated Reconstruction writers' portrayl of white trash. Davenport felt the best policy was to quarantine dangerous women during their fertile years. How this policy prescription led to sterilization is rather more calculated: interested politicians and eager reformers concluded it was cheaper to operate on women than to house them in asylums for decades. Southern eugenicists in particular argued that sterilization helped the economy by sending poor women back into the population safely neutered but still able to work at menial jobs.

"World War I fueled the eugenics campaign. First of all, the army refused to issue soldiers prophylctics. The top brass insisted that sexual control required a degree of internal discipline, which no army program would effectively inculcate. The army, along with local antivice groups, rounded up some thirty thousand prostitutes and placed as many as possible in detention center and jails where they were kept out of reach of soldiers. Thus the federal government backed a policy of sexual segregation of tainted women. At the same time, advocates for the draft argued that a volunteer force would be both unfair and uneugenic. Senator John Sharp of Mississippi insisted that without a draft only the 'best blood' would go to the front, leaving behind those of an 'inferior mold' to 'beget the next race.' "
    Likes Lord Lavender, The Cat liked this post

Saturn's Amethyst
    MBTI
    ENxP
    Enneagram
    749 so/sp

"Magic can get a guy killed"