User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I think black & white movies are a terrible idea and they should never take the colour out.
    Likes Ghost liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing more of your views about sexism in Star Wars. A lot of women see Leia as a feminist icon. The most sexist thing I noticed in the first two movies is Han Solo's attitude towards Leia, although he's kind of held up as an object of ridicule. He's sort of portrayed as a cocky braggart who isn't as badass as he thinks he is. ROTJ has more problems, though. The new movies aren't sexist at all and actually have a lot of alt-right types pissed off. I read one article that suggested alt-right trolls created bots to downvote the latest movie on Rotten Tomatoes because it promoted an "SJW agenda."

I don't know that Star Trek, from what I know of it, has an especially great track record on sexism until DS9. But, I'm open to my view being changed.
    It's been awhile since I have seen any Star Wars, and I have seen only the original three, plus the first one made after that. Yes, there is Leia in the first 3, but she is the token "female who gets to do anything interesting". Compare with how many significant male roles there are. Presumably the societies in both SW and ST are about 50/50 male/female, which makes this ratio improbable absent any credible explanation. Then there is the fact that Jedi are only men. This is likewise never explained, just assumed. Things get a bit better when they introduce Padme and her entourage, but still, the ratio of significant male to female characters is quite high, and the big focus on Padme seems to be her relationship with a man (Anakin), and not what she is trying to do in the senate, or for her home planet.

Star Trek is almost a generation older, so one would expect even more sexism (and racism), and there certainly was some. The forced choice between Spock and Number One after the series pilot was because a woman first officer was seen as a risky venture, as risky as a recurring alien in a responsible role. Producers were unwilling to take both risks. Majel Barrett was therefore moved to the more stereotypical role of a nurse and Spock became "number one". Still, the ratio of significant female characters to male was much higher than in SW, even in the original series. There were three in the regular crew: Uhura, Nurse Chapel, Yeoman Rand. Though their positions were rather traditional, their role in the plots did not focus on relationships, but rather on their contributions to the action. A large number of the "guest" characters were also female, including ambassadors, nobility, entertainers, ship commanders, and scientists.

So, on balance, ST always seemed to me to be pushing the envelope on gender balance much more than SW. I understand SW is finally catching up with its first female Jedi. I am curious as to whether they explain this development in the context of the story. It is also a bit disturbing that it is this first female Jedi who I understand is finally allowed to go beyond the traditional Jedi stoicism of detaching from emotions and keeping relationships at a distance. That is probably more healthy, but stereotypical as presented.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes Lord Lavender liked this post

Permabanned

The only thing that comes to mind is that I thought Knight of Cups was a fantastic movie. Better than Tree of Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post

I've seen Billy Madison and Haply Gilmore probably about a hundred times each, and certain party still make me laugh hysterically each time. The Wedding Singer and Anger Management are both decent as well. Really, everything after Mr. Deeds is where it all goes to hell.

I watch Billy Madison strictly for this exchange and the principal cracks me up.

Principal: Mr. Madison, the Industrial Revolution changed the face of the modern novel forever. Discuss, citing specific examples.

[Billy clears his throat several times]

Billy Madison: Uh... Okay. The Industrial Revolution to me is just like a story I know called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way." The world was changing, and the puppy was getting... bigger.

[Later]

Billy Madison: So, you see, the puppy was like industry. In that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy - "society" - knew where to find 'em. Except that the puppy was a dog. But the industry, my friends, that was a revolution.

[Long pause]

Billy Madison: Knibb High football rules!

[the crowd erupts into cheers]

Principal: Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison: Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I hated Pulp Fiction

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Lord Lavender, Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

American Beauty is one of the best films of the 1990s and did not deserve all the backlash.

Saturn's Amethyst
    MBTI
    ENxP
    Enneagram
    749 so/sp

I love a lot of Disney films deemed terrible or mediocre by many plus I find the new Star Wars (VII to IX) film cast super obnoxious and cliche for some reason. Im also not a huge lover of the Craig Bond films and prefer Connery/Moore era films.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I like the early Adam Sandler movies and I don't care that they're stupid.
    Wedding Singer

Funny fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I hated Pulp Fiction
    I thought it was pretty pedestrian too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Black Snake Moan was an above average movie with horrific marketing.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.