• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chappelle's Latest Stand-up Specials Are a Triumph in Comedy and Social Commentary

Beorn

Permabanned
Equanimity and the Bird Revelation are both amazing, important, and very funny.

Ignore the stupid bad press that he's getting. He's getting hate from the left and the right so you know he did his job.

What did you guys think that have seen them?

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't seen his new ones yet. But I find him to be brilliant and a bonafide genius. If Bill Hicks was still alive, I would love to see him and Dave do a special together. It would be my OTP. I will have to watch these though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I started watching Equanimity, downloaded Bird Revelation. So far I liked it very much but there is little from Chappelle I don't like. Will report back when I watch both entirely.

Lark

I cant watch this at the moment because of connectivity problems but I'm guessing this is one of those scenarios when "left" more accurately means "liberal" right?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've only seen bits and pieces of his Comedy Central show, but I loved that first clip.

Atomic Fiend

Neither of those clips have the best part of his special, which is the closing scene off episode two which describe why he left. And in fact are a restating of the reasons he stated he left when he appeared on Oprah over a decade ago.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Neither of those clips have the best part of his special, which is the closing scene off episode two which describe why he left. And in fact are a restating of the reasons he stated he left when he appeared on Oprah over a decade ago.

Yeah, I know why he left.

Atomic Fiend

The closing bit. Is not the funniest but it's the most poignant analogy I've heard from the man about his disappearance off of the Televised stage. It's worth it to watch, just for that portion alone. It's phenomenal it's personal, and it is almost more definitive of the man Dave Chappelle than anything he's done on the show. So much so that even though I'm posting a link here describing it, I would actually advise you to watch the ending portion of the special before clicking this link.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw him live years ago. I am not typically a fan of stand up or humor in general, but his show was incredibly funny. My muscles hurt for days from laughing so much. I will try to watch these and see how it goes.

Lark

culturally

Still not sure, although I'm watching the show now, on Netflix, its hilarious and a lot like my actual humour and my views on a lot of things. Although it is US centric, that's fine though, guy is American and his audience is American, you know. I take it he's had a whole career up until now as he talks about it, shows and stand up and I think I've seen him before some how.

Its not as good as a lot of other comedians, Richard Prior (spelling), Eddie Murphy when he was starting out, a lot of the older Saturday Night Live or National Lampoons writers but maybe its all from a different time, its good material but I sometimes feel annoyed that someone has to explain things to people the way he does.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I lol'd. A lot.

"Hi, I'm here for my 3 am with Mr. Weinstein."

What was he talking about with the whole 'you're going to need allies' thing regarding the Hollywood accusations though?

I think he's too unique to compare with anyone else. I love that he dropped everything and peaced-out for several years. Seems like it really helped him stay true to himself, which I greatly respect.

Beorn

Permabanned
The closing bit. Is not the funniest but it's the most poignant analogy I've heard from the man about his disappearance off of the Televised stage. It's worth it to watch, just for that portion alone. It's phenomenal it's personal, and it is almost more definitive of the man Dave Chappelle than anything he's done on the show. So much so that even though I'm posting a link here describing it, I would actually advise you to watch the ending portion of the special before clicking this link.

Yeah, that was amazing and mainly what prompted me to start this thread. It hit me hard and threw me into a short existential crisis.