User Tag List

123 Last

Default Recommend non-fiction books

Post non-fiction books you enjoyed. May be science, history, art ,biography, travel etc. - best with link or short description.

PS: If you have found something interesting on string theory or A.N.Whitehead thoughts on philosophy and cosmology (it seems impossible for me to get "Process and Reality") please mention me

Two books I enjoyed a lot during last year were:

"A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking - It's a classic, so I suppose I don't have to recommend/advertise it, but I was really surprised by the way it's written: relatively simple way still without treating reader from above. I can't say I comprehend everything that was said there, but there was only one moment when I really got lost because met limits of my imagination. I think it's very good introduction to contemporary physics and cosmology.

"The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum" by Temple Grandin- It's interesting position as study of what are the autistic and non-autistic brains like, what is the way they process (usually we see only comparison on how autistic brain is different). I also appreciate the scientific approach and practical advices (based on her own experiences). But mostly there is a lot of freshness in what she says about patterns in the world. It's big advantage of perceiving world in different manner, that we notice different aspects of it.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes Eternal Harmony liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster: Svetlana Alexievich, Keith Gessen: 8601419240876: Amazon.com: Books - On April 26, 1986, the worst nuclear reactor accident in history occurred in Chernobyl and contaminated as much as three quarters of Europe. Voices from Chernobyl is the first book to present personal accounts of the tragedy. Journalist Svetlana Alexievich interviewed hundreds of people affected by the meltdown---from innocent citizens to firefighters to those called in to clean up the disaster---and their stories reveal the fear, anger, and uncertainty with which they still live. Comprised of interviews in monologue form, Voices from Chernobyl is a crucially important work, unforgettable in its emotional power and honesty.
    Likes Kas, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    NFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

*thinks about the dozens of non-fiction books I have but have failed to finish reading*
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Survive & Stay Free, Kas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    Post non-fiction books you enjoyed. May be science, history, art ,biography, travel etc. - best with link or short description. PS: If you have found something interesting on string theory or A.N.Whitehead thoughts on philosophy and cosmology (it seems impossible for me to get "Process and Reality") please mention me Two books I enjoyed a lot during last year were: "A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking - It's a classic, so I suppose I don't have to recommend/advertise it, but I was really surprised by the way it's written: relatively simple way still without treating reader from above. I can't say I comprehend everything that was said there, but there was only one moment when I really got lost because met limits of my imagination. I think it's very good introduction to contemporary physics and cosmology. "The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum" by Temple Grandin- It's interesting position as study of what are the autistic and non-autistic brains like, what is the way they process (usually we see only comparison on how autistic brain is different). I also appreciate the scientific approach and practical advices (based on her own experiences). But mostly there is a lot of freshness in what she says about patterns in the world. It's big advantage of perceiving world in different manner, that we notice different aspects of it.
    For Your Own Good by Alice Miller.
    The Origin of Consciousness by Julian Jaynes.
    Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.
    Likes Kas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    *thinks about the dozens of non-fiction books I have but have failed to finish reading*
    I suppose these were are worthy recommending
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Musicophilia by Oliver Sachs. It is absolutely fascinating. All about the biology of music and disorders related to it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    For Your Own Good by Alice Miller.
    The Origin of Consciousness by Julian Jaynes.
    Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.
    The Rational Optimist, both the book and the blog, are very good sources for a well rounded critique of Jaynes, I know you like critiques @Mole
    Likes Mole, biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I always have a couple of good non-fiction books on the go at any one time but at present I've been reading more fiction, classics like A Clockwork Orange, which I finished last week, and Catch 22, which I am reading now, slowly, as I am not sure I like it, and I may read Catcher In The Rye afterwards. Books I feel I should have read years ago. I'm also reading a book which is awful but some kind of page turner cheeseburger fiction of a hellraiser type called Infernal City, its not a great book and its highly predictable but sometimes you just want to chill I guess.

I'm reading a book on social learning and psychological theories called I'll Have What She's Having, I like it, its well written and has a good pace despite dealing with a lot of things like game theory which I've read about before and find I wind up reading about for the Nth time when I read non-fiction, there's other ideas too like direct and indirect reciprocity theory which I feel are rephrasing of older ideas but its good to read them.
    Likes biohazard, Kas liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

This one changed my whole perspective on obesity, food, and our bodies.:

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

This one is great for understanding yourself and he has tools and theories you can use to handle stress.: