• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommend non-fiction books

Kas

Fabula rasa
Post non-fiction books you enjoyed. May be science, history, art ,biography, travel etc. - best with link or short description.

PS: If you have found something interesting on string theory or A.N.Whitehead thoughts on philosophy and cosmology (it seems impossible for me to get "Process and Reality") please mention me :D

Two books I enjoyed a lot during last year were:

"A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking - It's a classic, so I suppose I don't have to recommend/advertise it, but I was really surprised by the way it's written: relatively simple way still without treating reader from above. I can't say I comprehend everything that was said there, but there was only one moment when I really got lost because met limits of my imagination. I think it's very good introduction to contemporary physics and cosmology.

"The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum" by Temple Grandin- It's interesting position as study of what are the autistic and non-autistic brains like, what is the way they process (usually we see only comparison on how autistic brain is different). I also appreciate the scientific approach and practical advices (based on her own experiences). But mostly there is a lot of freshness in what she says about patterns in the world. It's big advantage of perceiving world in different manner, that we notice different aspects of it.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster: Svetlana Alexievich, Keith Gessen: 8601419240876: Amazon.com: Books - On April 26, 1986, the worst nuclear reactor accident in history occurred in Chernobyl and contaminated as much as three quarters of Europe. Voices from Chernobyl is the first book to present personal accounts of the tragedy. Journalist Svetlana Alexievich interviewed hundreds of people affected by the meltdown---from innocent citizens to firefighters to those called in to clean up the disaster---and their stories reveal the fear, anger, and uncertainty with which they still live. Comprised of interviews in monologue form, Voices from Chernobyl is a crucially important work, unforgettable in its emotional power and honesty.

Mole

Permabanned
Post non-fiction books you enjoyed. May be science, history, art ,biography, travel etc. - best with link or short description. PS: If you have found something interesting on string theory or A.N.Whitehead thoughts on philosophy and cosmology (it seems impossible for me to get "Process and Reality") please mention me :D Two books I enjoyed a lot during last year were: "A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking - It's a classic, so I suppose I don't have to recommend/advertise it, but I was really surprised by the way it's written: relatively simple way still without treating reader from above. I can't say I comprehend everything that was said there, but there was only one moment when I really got lost because met limits of my imagination. I think it's very good introduction to contemporary physics and cosmology. "The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum" by Temple Grandin- It's interesting position as study of what are the autistic and non-autistic brains like, what is the way they process (usually we see only comparison on how autistic brain is different). I also appreciate the scientific approach and practical advices (based on her own experiences). But mostly there is a lot of freshness in what she says about patterns in the world. It's big advantage of perceiving world in different manner, that we notice different aspects of it.
For Your Own Good by Alice Miller.
The Origin of Consciousness by Julian Jaynes.
Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.

Lark

For Your Own Good by Alice Miller.
The Origin of Consciousness by Julian Jaynes.
Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.

The Rational Optimist, both the book and the blog, are very good sources for a well rounded critique of Jaynes, I know you like critiques [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] :newwink:;)

Lark

I always have a couple of good non-fiction books on the go at any one time but at present I've been reading more fiction, classics like A Clockwork Orange, which I finished last week, and Catch 22, which I am reading now, slowly, as I am not sure I like it, and I may read Catcher In The Rye afterwards. Books I feel I should have read years ago. I'm also reading a book which is awful but some kind of page turner cheeseburger fiction of a hellraiser type called Infernal City, its not a great book and its highly predictable but sometimes you just want to chill I guess.

I'm reading a book on social learning and psychological theories called I'll Have What She's Having, I like it, its well written and has a good pace despite dealing with a lot of things like game theory which I've read about before and find I wind up reading about for the Nth time when I read non-fiction, there's other ideas too like direct and indirect reciprocity theory which I feel are rephrasing of older ideas but its good to read them.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This one changed my whole perspective on obesity, food, and our bodies.:

2ps583n.jpg

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This one is great for understanding yourself and he has tools and theories you can use to handle stress.:

mh52x3.jpg

Lark

This one is great for understanding yourself and he has tools and theories you can use to handle stress.:

mh52x3.jpg

Do you find it practical though? I have tried to read Robins before and found it very disappointing.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And this one was really cool and can change your perspective on humans as a species.:

sfuxav.jpg

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you find it practical though? I have tried to read Robins before and found it very disappointing.

Somewhat. I think it's more geared toward changing attitudes, perceptions, emotion, etc. But if you're one of those people who need that, it can help. I think the practical parts are the ones where he teaches you to recognize your emotional states and how they're not helping you. I think those messages are powerful in and of itself so you can act with wisdom. So it's one of those things where you gotta pick and choose what to apply.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Cumin, Camels, and Caravans: A Spice Odyssey by Gary Paul Nabhan.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure, and the Man Who Dared to See
by Robert Kurson

Amazon.com: Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure, and the Man Who Dared to See eBook: Robert Kurson: Kindle Store

Lark

I love Sachs' books, but haven't read this one yet.

His book on gratitude was a fantastic read, I really enjoyed it despite some fundamental differences with him and some content I couldnt relate to, I think he was a great guy who'll be missed.

Eternal Harmony

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Post non-fiction books you enjoyed. May be science, history, art ,biography, travel etc. - best with link or short description.

PS: If you have found something interesting on string theory or A.N.Whitehead thoughts on philosophy and cosmology (it seems impossible for me to get "Process and Reality") please mention me :D

Two books I enjoyed a lot during last year were:

"A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking - It's a classic, so I suppose I don't have to recommend/advertise it, but I was really surprised by the way it's written: relatively simple way still without treating reader from above. I can't say I comprehend everything that was said there, but there was only one moment when I really got lost because met limits of my imagination. I think it's very good introduction to contemporary physics and cosmology.

Good to know that there is also another reader of Stephen Hawking. I like "The Universe in a Nutshell". It is a quite interesting study beginning at Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity up to the time curves and the bran world.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A couple off the top of my head.

Augustine's Laws: Norman R. Augustine: 9781563472398: Amazon.com: Books

A very entertaining read, mostly about engineering, aerospace, government, and defense procurement, but applicable to many other fields as well.

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette: Hampton Sides: 9780307946911: Amazon.com: Books

If you want a spectacular and thrilling adventure, In the Kingdom of Ice is hard to beat. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that some of the popular theories about the Arctic at the time turned out to be hilariously wrong. :doh: