• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calligraphy (and challenge)

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
So weird...posting in Art & Entertainment. I feel like I should do an interpretive dance before posting.

Anyway, I'm getting into calligraphy. Right now, just standard American calligraphy. I was wondering if any of you do calligraphy. If so, how did you pick it up, and tips do you have?

Since that'll probably get zero to -3 responses, I thought it'd be fun to do a calligraphy challenge. The challenge will be to pen, scan, and upload the following words:

"Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Central"

If anyone actually tries to do this, we can have a poll at the end to select the winner. If you just want to sketch or draw or doodle, that's fine too (as long as it says the words above.

Ready?

GO!

K, here's mine (on paper this time!). I didn't forget about the "central," it's just in white.

Okay. Here's my attempt. I suck balls at capital letters and I wasn't writing with a guide, which I should have been. It's also with a pencil instead of a pen because my pen sucks. I see some of the mistakes and I could probably fix it, but oh well. Here's my submission.
View attachment 2629

Looks good! :nice:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Okay. I finally got a copperplate pen. Here's me playing around. I know there are mistakes, FYI. For example, "Booyalab" was intentionally spelled with a capital "B" just to piss her off.

Please compare it to my original submission:

calligraphy.jpg

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Wow, these are gorgeous. I definitely don't have the patience for this... I'd go all crazy-like on the letters.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Wow, that's really nice, Edahn and phoenix13. I'm trying to learn, but haven't been practicing a whole lot. It's frustrating, because I would really like lessons, but there aren't any available around here. I'm mostly trying to learn Beneventan right now; I'll try to take a picture of something later today.

Also, what kinds of pens and inks do you guys use? I'm partial to Brause nibs myself. I'm using Higgins non-waterproof black for ink, but I like sumi ink as well.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I don't actually know you, Edahn, but I'd guess you were most likely an Ne type, probably ENTP. If so, would you regard your interest in Calligraphy in MBTI terms as having anything to do with getting in touch with your inferior Si? It seems to me like a very Si kind of activity.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't actually know you, Edahn, but I'd guess you were most likely an Ne type, probably ENTP. If so, would you regard your interest in Calligraphy in MBTI terms as having anything to do with getting in touch with your inferior Si? It seems to me like a very Si kind of activity.

Are you calling me inferior?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Nah, he's just collecting accomplishments to decorate himself with. It's because he wants everyone to like him.

It hasn't worked out so well.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Alright, here's where I'm at in terms of Beneventan:

attachment.php

I'd like to move on to gothic forms, but I suck ass at getting the spacing right.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need to scan over this forum more. It's been 5 years since I've done any of this and I have no idea where my pens are. Maybe I'll try when I eventually get my pens and a scanner again.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't really want to ban me. I'm a babe magnet.

PS. As an amateur graphologist, I can tell you that your curly bits reveal issues.
Just sayin',

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Anon, pretty sweet. You're using a dip pen, right? I also think gothic is hot. It's what I'd like to learn besides copperplate.

PS. As an amateur graphologist, I can tell you that your curly bits reveal issues.
Just sayin',

The secret is out!

:blush:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I was just fucking with you.

I don't really think it terms of functions, and I doubt I really understand what Se/Si are, to be honest. I can tell you that I find the art very beautiful, especially the flourishing, and it gives me an existential sense of flow and rhythm. Whatever that really means. You can categorize it however you want.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Just sayin',

Impressive, graphology is almost as accurate as astrology!

Anon, pretty sweet. You're using a dip pen, right? I also think gothic is hot. It's what I'd like to learn besides copperplate.

Yeah, a dip pen. I'd eventually like to try a quill, but I haven't seen any being sold. Although I guess I could just make my own since they're essentially a feather, as far as I know.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^Nah, he's just collecting accomplishments to decorate himself with. It's because he wants everyone to like him.

*confused by your reasoning here* I thought this site was occasionally meant to be about MBTI anyway. I mostly wanted to see if I could guess what Edahn's type was as it wasn't on his profile. He pretty much confirmed my guess by his response however :devil:

It hasn't worked out so well.

That's ok, I already knew how much YOU hated me :violin:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Okay. I finally got a copperplate pen. Here's me playing around. I know there are mistakes, FYI. For example, "Booyalab" was intentionally spelled with a capital "B" just to piss her off.

Please compare it to my original submission:

Magnificent! I see improvement! :D