• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College football

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Missouri goes into Austin next week and beats the Horns. This is what I love about college football, and the Big 12. It's exciting, you don't know what's gonna happen. :D

ygolo

My termites win
Yes. I begrudgingly admit the Big 12 is a very strong conference this year.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Elsewhere, Georgia Tech beat Gardner Webb (who?) 10-7.

Just another crazy day in college football. :D

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
:hi:

45-35!

It *was* a very good game, but I admit I'd not be so happy about that had OU won... but... they didn't :).

Let me rephrase that. Its not so much the fans that irritate me, but rather all the local radio stations and the Austin American Statesman that really make me cringe. I mean, c'mon, UT is not always the best team in the country. Its just absurd how much they consistently overrate UT in the Austin area. Its just so arrogant. /rant.

To be honest, I liked UT before I moved to Austin. Since then, perhaps one of my least favorite Big 12 teams.

@Jeffster: Exactly my reaction as well.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wow, what a day. What are we looking at with the next polls? Does Alabama go to #1, even though they didn't play? Or Texas? Penn St. up to #3?

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, what a day. What are we looking at with the next polls? Does Alabama go to #1, even though they didn't play? Or Texas? Penn St. up to #3?

I imagine it'd be somewhat similar to this:

1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Penn State
4) Oklahoma
5) USC
6) Texas Tech
7) Florida
8) BYU
9) Oklahoma St.
10) Missouri (Maybe LSU)

Shit this is tough. Its hard trying to guess how they're going to vote, Texas and Alabama may switch. I don't think Oklahoma will fall too far, but may fall farther than I put. And as much as I hate to say it, Tech may actually move backwards in the polls. USC had 5 turnovers, but still won 28-0, which in my opinion actually helps them. BYU may move up more.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Missouri goes into Austin next week and beats the Horns. This is what I love about college football, and the Big 12. It's exciting, you don't know what's gonna happen. :D
If they play anything like they did last night...beating themselves...they've got no chance.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Let me rephrase that. Its not so much the fans that irritate me, but rather all the local radio stations and the Austin American Statesman that really make me cringe. I mean, c'mon, UT is not always the best team in the country. Its just absurd how much they consistently overrate UT in the Austin area. Its just so arrogant. /rant.

Yeah, I could believe that. UT is consistently good, and *among* the best teams in the country, but for most of recent (15-20 years, anyway) history, there have been other teams that have been *better* - both in an individual year (except 2005) and over time. Teams like Florida, Oklahoma, USC, Nebraska, etc.

I don't live in Austin, so I don't see all of that stuff. My fan-hood comes from when I did live there (until I was 9), when both of my parents went to school there.

I imagine it'd be somewhat similar to this:

1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Penn State
4) Oklahoma
5) USC
6) Texas Tech
7) Florida
8) BYU
9) Oklahoma St.
10) Missouri (Maybe LSU)

Shit this is tough. Its hard trying to guess how they're going to vote, Texas and Alabama may switch. I don't think Oklahoma will fall too far, but may fall farther than I put. And as much as I hate to say it, Tech may actually move backwards in the polls. USC had 5 turnovers, but still won 28-0, which in my opinion actually helps them. BYU may move up more.

That seems pretty reasonable to me - Oklahoma State clearly should be above Mizzou now (much as I hate to say it). Tech could easily slip beneath Florida, at least. Florida made a very good LSU team look bad, and Tech barely hung on to beat a pretty mediocre Nebraska team. I wouldn't be surprised to see your list pretty much as-is, except with Tech in between Oklahoma State and Mizzou. As much as I hate to say it, after watching Florida (sort of:D) last night, I can't say I'd put anyone as a favorite to beat them on the field. I'd love to see them play Alabama, Texas, Penn State, USC, or Oklahoma, though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This week's AP Top 25:

1. Texas (39) 6-0 1,599
2. Alabama (26) 6-0 1,582
3. Penn State 7-0 1,492
4. Oklahoma 5-1 1,306
5. Florida 5-1 1,284
6. USC 4-1 1,247
7. Texas Tech 6-0 1,210
8. Oklahoma State 6-0 1,184
9. Brigham Young 6-0 1,131
10. Georgia 5-1 1,081
11. Missouri 5-1 984
12. Ohio State 6-1 908
13. LSU 4-1 893
14. Utah 7-0 834
15. Boise State 5-0 714
16. Kansas 5-1 620
17. Virginia Tech 5-1 540
18. North Carolina 5-1 416
19. South Florida 5-1 397
20. Michigan State 6-1 371
21. Wake Forest 4-1 330
22. Vanderbilt 5-1 258
23. Pittsburgh 4-1 182
24. Ball State 7-0 166
25. California 4-1 115

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm still pissed about that game. Daniel overthrew 3 or 4 receivers that game, something he almost never does. And Danario Alexander...fuck...that ball that bounced out of his hands, into the hands of OSU, that was a game changer.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
If Penn State runs the table, they almost certainly will be in the BCS Championship Game. That is pretty cool. I am a mild Penn State fan (I like to see my home state do well, and I have several friends there), but I am not a JoePa worshiper. I'd like to see him go out with a championship this year and retire, or announce that 2009 will be his last season.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm still pissed about that game. Daniel overthrew 3 or 4 receivers that game, something he almost never does. And Danario Alexander...fuck...that ball that bounced out of his hands, into the hands of OSU, that was a game changer.

The O line got whupped. Mizzou got away from the run too much, but it seemed they were getting killed in the backfield whenever they tried (other than Daniel running).

P.S. that last INT wasn't an INT:

user15874_1.jpg

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Seeing that image just pisses me off. They were going to score on that drive.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
RED RAIDERS 8-0 BABY! BRING ON THE HORNS!! :nice:

Lat, I didn't see any of the video from Columbia, did Colorado's bus break down and they didn't make it to the stadium?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Colorado sux and Mizzou was pissed.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Mizzou is going to blow out every other team they face...until the Big 12 Championship game, where their shitty defense will be exposed again.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(I'm having a bit of a hard time coming down. I thought maybe mbtic would help me fall asleep.) ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
GREAT game tonight. That poor Texas DB that dropped the interception is going to have to live with that forever. I think Texas Tech will probably move up to #3, although I think they would probably get beat by USC and maybe Oklahoma. We'll find out about Oklahoma in a couple of weeks.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I was impressed by Tech, but there's no way they beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I was impressed by Tech, but there's no way they beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

I'm tempted to agree. That was a very hard game to watch (as a Texas fan). Tech played really well, especially in the first half, but Texas played really poorly until partway through the third quarter (some of which was due to how well Tech was playing, no doubt). Still, I saw a couple of easy plays that Texas blew, each of which would likely have won the game for them - dropped passes, and especially the should-have-been-intercepted Harrell pass at the end of the game. I agree with FMW... that poor guy's got to feel bad. He catches that pass, and it's very likely Texas plays for the national title. Now? Pretty much no chance of that - and it's altogether likely that they won't make a BCS bowl game at all, even if they win out.

But, as they say, if you let a game hinge on one bad play, you can't be surprised when things don't go your way. Tech played well (and the crowd was *really* into it - looked like a fun place to be if you're a Tech fan), and it'll be interesting to see how things play out in the next few weeks. I'd give Tech a fair-to-good chance of beating Oklahoma State in Lubbock, but going to Norman to play OU is going to be tough for anyone to come out with a win. Of course, I'm hoping they lose both, so that Texas can still win the division anyway :D. No offense Jeff, I know you'd be hoping for the same if the situation was reversed :D.