• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College football

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Tech played well (and the crowd was *really* into it - looked like a fun place to be if you're a Tech fan)

It was insane. I had to keep reminding everyone around me that there still was another half to play. Both offenses didn't play as well as they should have, though. Tech could not move the ball in the red zone at all while Texas only moved the ball late in the game. Tech outplayed Texas, end of story. But that's the problem with trading field goals for touchdowns. Honestly, I'd be so pissed if Texas won, because we should have put the game away much earlier.

Also, Texas' punter kicks like a damn girl. THAT was irritating as hell.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
10-0 BABY. :D

Gonna be a long two weeks waiting for that OU game.

ygolo

My termites win
I think Alabama is overrated and Texas Tech is the real deal this year.

The Red Raiders still have one tough game to go, while the Crimson Tide has a couple of patsies.

It will be hilarious to see the two in the BCS championship, if it happens.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think Alabama is overrated and Texas Tech is the real deal this year.

The Red Raiders still have one tough game to go, while the Crimson Tide has a couple of patsies.

It will be hilarious to see the two in the BCS championship, if it happens.

I actually expect both of them to lose, tell you the truth. If both of them do win out, and they play each other in the championship game, I'd have to favor Tech. Tech is a great team... but I don't think they go into Norman and win, the way Oklahoma's been crushing everyone right and left lately (granted, not teams as good as Tech, but I wouldn't pick *anyone* to go to Norman and win now). If the game were in Lubbock I'd call it a toss-up (Tech was very impressive beating Oklahoma State). But not in Norman. Alabama is a very good team... a very good team that I think will lose to Florida in the SEC championship. I think the championship game will be:

Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Texas (whoever comes out on top, tiebreaker-wise, obviously Tech is on top if they beat Oklahoma)

vs.

Florida

I've got no clue who to pick as the winner of that game. Sentimentally, I'd pick Texas, but not confidently. USC's the only other team I'd give a good chance to beat any of those 4 on the field, but they won't get that chance - at least not in the championship game.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I know Mizzou hasn't lived up to expectations, but should they play Tech in the Big 12 Championship, don't just assume the Raiders are going to win. Mizzou has OWNED Texas Tech the last few times they've played. Mizzou just seems to be a bad matchup for Tech.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I know Mizzou hasn't lived up to expectations, but should they play Tech in the Big 12 Championship, don't just assume the Raiders are going to win. Mizzou has OWNED Texas Tech the last few times they've played. Mizzou just seems to be a bad matchup for Tech.

Hmm, that's true - they have done well against Tech lately. Given that matchup, I'd *like* to see Mizzou win, too. Mizzou has another advantage... the conference championship is in KC this year, and although I'm sure a lot of Tech/Texas/Oklahoma fans would come, KC's just a couple of hours from Columbia - not quite but almost a home game.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Texas (whoever comes out on top, tiebreaker-wise, obviously Tech is on top if they beat Oklahoma)

vs.

Florida

I've got no clue who to pick as the winner of that game. Sentimentally, I'd pick Texas, but not confidently. USC's the only other team I'd give a good chance to beat any of those 4 on the field, but they won't get that chance - at least not in the championship game.

I agree with your analysis. And I think USC would beat Tech, Oklahoma, and Texas. They're just KILLING people. Florida is red hot, maybe not them.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Watching all the big-confrence action really makes me pissed off that my hometown team (BSU) is in the WAC. Jesus the WAC sucks. The only moment of glory we had was when we took it to Oregon's house. Now we have to sit, wait out the last couple of absurdly easy matchups we got and cross our fingers for a generous BCS Bowl matchup. :steam:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Watching all the big-confrence action really makes me pissed off that my hometown team (BSU) is in the WAC. Jesus the WAC sucks. The only moment of glory we had was when we took it to Oregon's house. Now we have to sit, wait out the last couple of absurdly easy matchups we got and cross our fingers for a generous BCS Bowl matchup. :steam:

Heh - I grew up in Boise (I actually remember the installation of the smurf-turf). BSU has really been enormously fortunate to be in the position they're in these days - they've only even been in division 1-A for what... 10 years or so? I know that when I was in college they were 1-AA (as was Idaho, where I went to college). Back in those days Idaho was running up a 10-year winning streak on BSU. Times have changed. And for the "moment of glory" - all you have to do is go back a few years to the BSU/Oklahoma Fiesta bowl. One of the all-time great games in college football history - can't get too greedy :).

MBTI Type
INTJ

I feel for Ball State, but if they want to be in the mix, it's incumbent on their AD to be very aggressive when putting together their nonconference schedule. Scheduling big time teams and beating them will help immeasurably. To draw a parallel with basketball, that's why Temple consistently makes the NCAA tournament despite playing in a mediocre conference and rarely winning 20 games a season...they always play a murderous nonconference schedule.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I feel for Ball State, but if they want to be in the mix, it's incumbent on their AD to be very aggressive when putting together their nonconference schedule. Scheduling big time teams and beating them will help immeasurably. To draw a parallel with basketball, that's why Temple consistently makes the NCAA tournament despite playing in a mediocre conference and rarely winning 20 games a season...they always play a murderous nonconference schedule.

He's talking about Boise State (the other BSU) :D - but it applies even more to Ball State, now that you mention it.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm embarrassed for Texas Tech. This is really, really ugly...but to be honest, not completely unexpected. They're down 64-14 as I type this message. When Oklahoma is executing like this, there's nobody in college that can beat them. I'd like to see them play the Rams or Lions. It might be a good game.

Oklahoma was my preseason pick to win the national title.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm embarrassed for Texas Tech. This is really, really ugly...but to be honest, not completely unexpected.

Yeah - you have to feel bad for them... those TT defensive guys are just exhausted, you can tell. I didn't think it would be *this* bad, but pretty much nobody goes into Norman and wins - especially with how well Oklahoma's been playing lately. That part of it's no surprise.

Oh my... that was ugly... the TT kickoff return guy almost couldn't find the ball in the end zone... I think I'm going to go to bed... I was hoping Oklahoma would win a close game (I'm a Texas fan), but this is just brutal.

Sorry Jeff and Neo - looks like Tech's chance at a championship are over :(. (Although they can still win the Big 12 - it looks unlikely)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'd like to see Oklahoma play Florida in the title game. I'm not sure if USC has the offense to hang with either of those two. Then again, they might not need to hang, they might pitch a shut out. Their D is sick.

I'm so glad Penn State lost. The title game should actually be worth watching.

Edit: What's the worst beating a top 5 team has ever taken? This has to be up there.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.

Yeah... as much as I hate to say it, your logic makes sense. The only thing Texas really has going for them is that of the three teams, they won their game on a neutral field, and *almost* won in Lubbock. Both Oklahoma's and Tech's wins came at home in front of loud, noisy, partisan crowds. Another note however, is that Oklahoma's played tougher non-conference teams than either Texas or Tech.

Although I agree... I think Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida all beat Alabama on a neutral field (and Florida will get the chance)... I don't see USC much, but they're likely in the same category... if Tech played the way they had until this game, I'd say the same for them. If I *had* to pick a #1 vs. #2, I'd say Florida vs. Oklahoma right now - with Texas a very close and worthy 2.5. Anyway, bedtime for me. G'night.