User Tag List

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    6w7 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default the good thing about having terrible music

you get to bash and make fun how ridiculous the songs and music sounds and how much it sucks. you get to appreciate some of the classic materials because they aged well in people's eyes.
    Do as you please we are as gods
    Likes Icaro10100 liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

That kind of ironic entertainment is fun, but so much better alongside the unironic kind - just a sincere love of strangeness and an appreciation that many sorts of strange can only be found in mistakes.
    Likes Qlip, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

We make fun of people who speak of music being better “back in their day” but there may be something to this.

Many of the pop songs today are penned by a small number of songwriters. Music today tends to be compressed more during the recording and mixing stage, which can squeeze the life out of a song. An increasingly smaller palette of instrumentation is used in music, often in the form of generic drum machine beats and synths leading to a lot of music sounding similar or identical. Effects, while having potential to enhance music, often have the opposite effect as they can be used to create music that sounds over-produced, and can be a substitute for talent and practice (i.e. auto tuned vocals).

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    We make fun of people who speak of music being better “back in their day” but there may be something to this.

Many of the pop songs today are penned by a small number of songwriters. Music today tends to be compressed more during the recording and mixing stage, which can squeeze the life out of a song. An increasingly smaller palette of instrumentation is used in music, often in the form of generic drum machine beats and synths leading to a lot of music sounding similar or identical. Effects, while having potential to enhance music, often have the opposite effect as they can be used to create music that sounds over-produced, and can be a substitute for talent and practice (i.e. auto tuned vocals).

There’s an acoustic song I heard on satellite radio from Vance Joy and I had to turn it off. I like his voice but when he is singing the chorus he is flat. It hurt my ears. I’m like, what producer gave the okay to release this?

He was singing the song the way it was recorded (auto tune) and not for his vocal capabilities live. His voice is good but not good enough to hit the notes he was trying for. It’s normal to change it up live, tune down or something but he didn’t. It made me judge him. Lol.

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    There’s an acoustic song I heard on satellite radio from Vance Joy and I had to turn it off. I like his voice but when he is singing the chorus he is flat. It hurt my ears. I’m like, what producer gave the okay to release this?

He was singing the song the way it was recorded (auto tune) and not for his vocal capabilities live. His voice is good but not good enough to hit the notes he was trying for. It’s normal to change it up live, tune down or something but he didn’t. It made me judge him. Lol.
    Sometimes I think The flatness of a lot of newer recordings might also have to do with music being mixed with shitty earbud speakers in mind.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I have noticed this when I listened to older songs. I do like electronic and Vocaloid music though. But it is nice to listen to a more emotive singing voice. Some indie singers at least I think still use their voice in a nice way thankfully.

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Mainstream pop has long since been generally poor, or gone through poor periods. I still carry the emotional scars of the Stock, Aitken and Waterman years.

Good points. You can do some amazing things with synthesizers but even then the composer has to be able to layer sounds that actually sound like music. Synth groups have done it since the late 70’s but a lot of them were traditional musicians before switching to all electronic. Now you have people throwing uninspired simplistic beats down with people who can’t sing worth a damn repeating the same three or four sentences over and over. It’s simplistic crap that takes zero talent to produce. Popular music has always gone the simple route to some degree but it’s even more watered down now.

I’m an old man but I’ve heard plenty of teens and young adults looking to music before their time because it took talent to make and had lyrics that actually said something beyond let’s have sex. Although to be fair some of it was definitely all about sex and drugs and rock n roll. There are still talented new music acts out there but you’re very unlikely to hear them being played on the same sources that supply bubblegum pop (or wtf it’s referred to now) like Bieber and Cyrus.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”
    Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

You're 100% right. If all music were good then there wouldn't be good music, just music. We need the garbage to point out how bad it is and boost the value of the songs we like and our egos. It doesn't just apply to songs, it's true for every thing.