• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are your five top books of all time and why:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They are are the ones you keep and never through away. For me, my favorites are in no order
1. The Hobbit - I loved this book when I was growing up Sure it's too bad they made into two movies but it is really good
2. The Return of the King Trilogy - it's just such a grand and powerful story
3. Misborn Series by Brandon Anderson - just all really good; everything he writes is good
4. I struggle between Madame Bovary and Anna Kanarena. Love them both
5 How to win Friends and Influence People - helps in human relations
6. The Joan Vinge books = like Catspaw and deriviates

I'm sure there are some i'm forgetting'

Edit: True Names by Vernor Vinge (read it. it will happen....)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ I'll have to list mine later but just wanted to say I love all those you listed except 5 because I never read it. I've read all of Vinge's The Snow Queen series but not Catspaw. Very nice list, Highlander.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ I'll have to list mine later but just wanted to say I love all those you listed except 5 because I never read it. I've read all of Vinge's The Snow Queen series but not Catspaw. Very nice list, Highlander.

:wubbie:

Lark

It would have to be my Ayn Rand... Just kidding, unless I found a possessed copy of atlas shrugged with her dark soul in it, then I'd keep that for a bonfire some halloween.

I'm a gonna have to do five non-fiction and five fiction, I know I'm probably breaking rules with this but well, its impossible otherwise, its near impossible with that provisio but anyway.

- Bring The Jubilee, Ward Moore, its an alt history in which the southern/confederate states won the US civil war, its also one of the best time travel books I've read and its a book with personal importance to me too for when I read it and what was happening with me at that time.

- Replay, Ken Grimwood, its a good book about the transmigration of the soul or some similar idea from physics or philosophy about eternal recurrence.

- Iron Dragons Daughter, I love this book, its a fantasy masterworks rather than a sci fi masterworks, so far as I know, its a bizarre book and a lot of it is ambiguous content, is this the real life or is this just fantasy?

- Drawing of The Dark, Tim Powers, I love Tim Powers, its a tie between this and Anubis Gates, which I was recommended as the archetypical steampunk novel, it is, although I liked this one as its got some fantastic fantasy themes, some themes about wizards in the west and east whose struggle is the real battle underlying that between western and eastern powers in the siege of vienna, loads of stuff about Finn Macool, King Arthur, The Fisher King and a micro brewery which produces a dark beer/porter, the west has "nothing to fear, so long as we have our beer"

- The Divine Invasion, Philip K Dick, this is a book which I think deserves to become canon as great religiously themed literature, along with Dante's Inferno, Milton's Paradise Lost, its not in that league, but it is a great story of God returning from exile, a splitting in the cosmic personality which explains the existence of evil/satan, whose manifestation as a goat is one of the most memorable in fiction I've ever read

Non-fiction

- The Fear of Freedom, Revision of Psycho-analysis, Man for himself, three books by Erich Fromm tied for first place, the first I thought was the best, outlining what he thought had gone wrong with the society of the Weimer Republic which generated fascism, these features are alive and well today, the revision of psychoanalysis was probably his latest book, describing his differences with the Herbert Marcuse et al, finally man for himself was his sort of counter argument to Freud's Civilisation and Its Discontents, which is largely Freud's attack on the idea of "love others as you do yourself", which he thought was absurd, Fromm persuasively argues the opposite, its the people who deviate too far from that who're absurd

- Essays and Journalism, George Orwell, I dont know if this is still in print, possibly not in the format I read it, there's lots of observations of the mundane but brilliant, like raunchy postcards at the pier, views on salvadore dali (or moral panics), a good essay on the english murder story which is largely about whether or not media was just becoming more sadistic and readers desensitized (I think in part prompted by visiting a "crimes of Germany in the last war" wax works exhibit which was sort of like the SAW movies of its day), plus his diaries from war time, which were pretty surprising, Orwell was a guy who was very honest and I dont think, despite his frequent u-turns, had an ounce of bad faith/bad conscience about him

- The Conquest of Happiness, Bertrand Russell, I read it after his history of western philosophy, which was recommended to me by a member of an orienteering society, echoing their posters which read "Need to know the meaning of life? Try the bible or Bertrand Russell's history of western philosophy, want an excuse to go for a drink on a Sunday, join us", Conquest is better, I try to read it annually as it has true wisdom. It reminds me of who I was at a former time and in a very different context, which on the one hand I really like but on the other makes me cringe, too soon old, too late wise.

- The importance of living, Lin Yutang, I've read this book many times, though strangely never from beginning to end, you dont have to read it that way I think but it is full of a distillation in a way of all of Asian-Chinese culture and philosophy, which I have a lot of time for and its one of the few, really, really biophilious reads that I can think of

I read all the time though, very widely, the good, the bad and indifferent, sacred and profane, I enjoy it all and the humanity its a byproduct of.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
1. The Red Tent - It took such a minute story in the Bible and expanded it to show the power of woman. Not many books set in the time of Moses have done that.
2. Girl With a Pearl Earring - I loved that this entire story was imagined just from the painting. I kept closing the book to look at the cover as I was reading it, putting myself in that time period.
3. The House on Mango Street - Esperanza was an observer of life and wanted to be rid of the circumstances that life dealt her. I can relate.
4. On Fortunes Wheel - Birle took life by the horns and made it hers. She decided her own destiny instead of letting it be decided for her. Again, I can relate.
5. How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent - I enjoyed the dynamic of so many personalities from siblings who grew up in the same house with the same parents.
6. The Bonesetter's Daughter - My first foray in to the magical written word of Amy Tan. A story of how self reliance and resilience are often legacy strengths passed down through generations.

I have so, so many more, but these are my dog eared, blue ink notated, coffee stained favorites. :wubbie:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Top 5? I don't know if I can do it. I have other books that trade places with these books depending on my mood. My favorites tend to be books that haunt me, a kind of feeling invoked by the book that is created when I first read it and stays with me...even years later.

1. Golden Witchbreed by Mary Gentle: I wish I had never read the sequel, Ancient Light, because it broke my heart. Orthe, gone?!

2. Soldiers of Paradise (and the second but definitely not the third book in the series of The Starbridge Chronicles) by Paul Park.

3. The Ansible series by Stant Litore

4. The Kushiel's Legacy (6 books) by Jacqueline Carey: Alternate Europe, Jewish mysticism...loved it all.

5. The Snow Queen books by Joan D. Vinge

I can think of others by writers like Brandon Sanderson, Sherri Tepper, some of the books by Martha Wells, Ursula LeGuin, Kate Elliot, Sean Russell, Richard Adams, Robert Graves, Julian May (who just passed away last month :( )...I could really go on for a while here but I'll stop. I'm never, ever without a book to read.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- Bring The Jubilee, Ward Moore, its an alt history in which the southern/confederate states won the US civil war, its also one of the best time travel books I've read and its a book with personal importance to me too for when I read it and what was happening with me at that time.

This is one of my favorites. Really haunting ending. Have you read Darwinia? Pretty decent alt history novel where Europe disappears pre-WWI and is replaced by a vast alien wilderness. I like to speculate on that sort of thing, removing what, at the time, would have been the leading economic and military powers from the world stage and seeing how that would've affected the balance and course of things.

- - - Updated - - -

too many to narrow it down to 5.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is by no means a definitive list.

Richard II by Shakespeare - This is the crowning achievement (no pun intended) of all of Shakespeare's works, in my opinion. It's written entirely in verse and the use of language is incredible. It is also Shakespeare's most philosophical and introspective play and has an incredible amount of profound depth. It brings beauty to tragedy through truth in a way that just aches to read. As Richard falls from grace, he rises.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Beautifully written and prophetic.

His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman - In this series, nuclear physics, parallel worlds, quantum particles, and theology illustrate and weave together themes of love while making you question concepts like truth, good and evil, and even the very fabric of the universe. Heartbreaking and transcendent.

The Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson - The Hath family break free from their extremely restrictive society and lead their people to the promised land. Much more meaningful and more thoroughly explores its themes and concepts than Harry Potter. Dystopian and fantasy elements are used to illustrate something deeply true, and the emotional journey this series takes you on is amazing.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche - Beautifully written, deeply true, transcendent, and inspiring.

The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh - This play will wreck you. It's an incredibly depressing but accurate story about the way even the purity of art can be contaminated. It's a fantastic exploration of identity and personal narratives in relation to trauma.

My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok - Nothing much happens until you're 3/4 of the way into it, but the last 1/4 is amazing and makes it all worth it.

Ariel by Sylvia Plath - Just really fucking good poetry. The kind you can feel in your bones.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire - Bizarre, strange, off putting, entrancing, witty, irreverent, and raw. It's an exploration of the way other's reactions to you shape your identity and make you become the negative perceptions you're given. There is the most beautiful mix of cynicism and idealism. "As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention.”

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - I first read this as a child and have read it over and over again since. It is somehow both joyful and comforting to read. There's this type of whimsy and innocence in it, in the way it's written.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salmon Rushdie - Rushdie isn't exactly subtle - he hits you over the head with the themes in this book. But like The Hobbit, there is a type of very enjoyable whimsy and innocence in this book, and it's delightful.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I have favorites, but these were books that were very influential in my life and worldview:

1. Women by Charles Bukowski - Fiction, though semi-autobiographical. Bitches be crazy. Bukowski kept his pimp hand strong, despite suffering from serial monogamy like his French Brother from another Mother Serge Gainsbourg.

2. Tao Te Ching by lao Tzu tied with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius tied with The Republic by Plato - All are philosophy classics that influenced and helped me grow as a teenager. So it was too difficult to choose just one.

3. Cloud-Hidden by Alan Watts - hippie dippy philosophy bullshit but it helped me to give less fucks about what others cared about me and my beliefs. Also influenced some of my views on spirituality and religion.

4. Ideas And Opinions by Albert Einstein - Collection of letters, speech transcripts, et al.

5. The Manipulated Man by Esther Vilar

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is one of my favorites. Really haunting ending. Have you read Darwinia? Pretty decent alt history novel where Europe disappears pre-WWI and is replaced by a vast alien wilderness. I like to speculate on that sort of thing, removing what, at the time, would have been the leading economic and military powers from the world stage and seeing how that would've affected the balance and course of things.

- - - Updated - - -

too many to narrow it down to 5.

I read Darwinia a long time ago. It was excellent.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In random order, my top 5 might be:

1. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (No, I'm not an Objectivist)

2. Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre

3. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

4. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

5. The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So many ways to pick and rank, but I decided to go with the most personally effecting, in no particular order.

Number of the Beast - Robert A. Heinlein
This is a terrible book, make no mistake. But it's a dizzying introduction to a giant world of ideas, some taboo breaking, for an isolated teenager. This book was formative. I'm afraid to try to read it again now that I'm older.

Ubik - Phillip K. Dick
I love PKD, his focus is my main interest--the nature of reality and subjectivity. There's something about the elements of this particular story, and the ultimate message that hits me in the right spot.

Guns Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond
This changed the way that I thought about the world and of people. It asks, why did Western Culture become so powerful? The answer... not genetics.

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Kurt has a voice that matches the one in my head, and this particular book constructs a narrative to transform himself, and anyone who wants to take the ride with him.

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
This ignited the reader in me. I remember perusing the school library back in the early 90's, before the movies were even a twinkle in PJ's eye. I remember seeing the cover with embossed red-foil of an eye with strange characters surrounding it. I had heard whispers about it throughout my life, and I wanted to know what it was all about. I struggled all summer to read it, and I was transformed into a reader by it.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Heart breaking and beautiful.
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls? - For whom does the funeral bell toll? For all of us.. for when one person dies, it affects us all.
3. All Quiet on the Western Front - Shows the futility of war.
4. Man's Search for Meaning - The recounting of an Auschwitz survivor's experience during WWII. The pages of this book are absolutely covered in tear marks because I cried so much on it.. It took me over five years to even be able to read the whole thing. Please read this book.
5. The Catcher in the Rye - This book comforted me in my youth and I still read it sometimes in my 30's.