• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal music for a beginner?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a total beginner when it comes to metal music but recently, I've been craving more dark music. Do any of you have any recommendations for a total beginner? Post your favorite bands and music here please. :)

I'm not an expert on heavy metal but I say:

Metallica (everything before the black album ie Ride the Lightning, Killem' All etc) I love metal instrumentals.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

Wait, did you say "Dark" Metal?

Be careful what you wish for.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not an expert on heavy metal but I say:

Metallica (everything before the black album ie Ride the Lightning, Killem' All etc) I love metal instrumentals.

I like Metallica. It's actually Metallica that got me this new found love for metal. Thanks for these recommendations :D

I'm not a big metal fan, but I think a good place to start would be to familiarize yourself with the 80s classics like Iron Maiden, Dio, Metallica, etc. and also the early infant stage from the 70s like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Then you can dive deeper into the other wide variety of subgenres like black metal, death metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, metalcore and more.

Here's a great kickass tune from Iron Maiden for starters:

Last edited:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I know not hardcore metal but those are a good entry to metal I think. I enjoy them at least :).

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Wait, did you say "Dark" Metal?

Be careful what you wish for.

Thanks for so many awesome tracks! I really liked Symphony X. I think it's my favorite of them all. If you don't mind please post more music

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a total beginner when it comes to metal music but recently, I've been craving more dark music.
Well I know plenty of non-metal that's dark, but that's another story. :laugh:

Do any of you have any recommendations for a total beginner? Post your favorite bands and music here please. :)
Taking a historical perspective, Motorhead pioneered speed metal and inspired later stuff like Metallica.

I'm not a big metal fan, but I think a good place to start would be to familiarize yourself with the 80s classics like Iron Maiden, Dio, Metallica, etc. and also the early infant stage from the 70s like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Then you can dive deeper into the other wide variety of subgenres like black metal, death metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, metalcore and more.

Yeah, I was going to say that Iron Maiden seems essential. :D

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I do have a few Iron Maiden tracks on my phone currently. Not this one though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I know plenty of non-metal that's dark, but that's another story. :laugh:

Taking a historical perspective, Motorhead pioneered speed metal and inspired later stuff like Metallica.

Yeah, I was going to say that Iron Maiden seems essential. :D

Thanks! You guys are turining me into a real Metalhead xD

And although not metal and commonly referred to as Goth (band leader Andrew Eldritch views it as a misrepresentation of their sound) The Sisters of Mercy are definitely a dark 80's sound so I figured I'd throw it in the thread.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These guys have some louder typical metal material and then the slower more melodic stuff like this.

And although not metal and commonly referred to as Goth (band leader Andrew Eldritch views it as a misrepresentation of their sound) The Sisters of Mercy are definitely a dark 80's sound so I figured I'd throw it in the thread.

Thanks a bunch! I enjoyed both songs :)