• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good westerns?

Lark

Anyone know any good westerns, books or films?

Its funny, I grew up semi-despising the genre, since it was often what the TV networks used as filler in the dead space times of day or night, now its property shows, cookery shows, antiques auctions or even worse reality TV than you can imagine (a night in A&E, custody etc. etc.), also I thought it was generally poor, hackneyed etc.

Someone I know has encouraged a rethink, on the basis that if you give it a chance its not that different to a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction, the costumes are different but the lawlessness, remoteness of authority etc. is much the same.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dances With Wolves is amazing and has a beautiful John Barry score.

Once Upon A Time In The West is epic and probably the best Spaghetti Western

Tombstone is really good.

Unforgiven

Django Unchained, though it's kind of a "Southern"

100 Rifles for a steamy scene between Jim Brown and Raquel Welch

True Grit, either version

Also, if you like that tone, Outland is basically a western set on a space station and starring Connery as the Marshall

I'm sure you've seen Mad Max I and II but they have a Western feel

Dances With Wolves is amazing and has a beautiful John Barry score.

Once Upon A Time In The West is epic and probably the best Spaghetti Western

Tombstone is really good.

Unforgiven

Django Unchained, though it's kind of a "Southern"

100 Rifles for a steamy scene between Jim Brown and Raquel Welch

True Grit, either version

Also, if you like that tone, Outland is basically a western set on a space station and starring Connery as the Marshall

I'm sure you've seen Mad Max I and II but they have a Western feel

Nice list. And Raquel Welch in her day. Dayum! None of that woman was surgically enhanced.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Lonesome Dove series is quite good
as are the prequels

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does the TV show Westworld count?

Maybe The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, too.

The Cat

Staff member
Gunsmoke's always fun...

- - - Updated - - -

Firefly...

The Cat

Staff member
The Man with No name trilogy
Shane
The Red headed Stranger
The Searchers
The Outlaw Josie Wales
The sons of Katie Elder
The man who shot Liberty Valance ...

- - - Updated - - -

Eldorado

The Cat

Staff member
Mclintock!

Have Gun Will Travel

Maverick (tv series/movies)

The Adventures of Brisco Country jr...

- - - Updated - - -

The Magnificent Seven
The Quick and the Dead

- - - Updated - - -

3:10 to Yuma both versions

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Nice list. And Raquel Welch in her day. Dayum! None of that woman was surgically enhanced.
must agree
Dances With Wolves is amazing and has a beautiful John Barry score. Once Upon A Time In The West is epic and probably the best Spaghetti Western Tombstone is really good. Unforgiven Django Unchained, though it's kind of a "Southern" 100 Rifles for a steamy scene between Jim Brown and Raquel Welch True Grit, either version Also, if you like that tone, Outland is basically a western set on a space station and starring Connery as the Marshall I'm sure you've seen Mad Max I and II but they have a Western feel
All these are fantastic , dances with wolves is beautiful and I also love the score.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Dances With Wolves is very good, even though I've made fun of Kevin Costner every now and then.
True Grit - both versions are excellent.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - One of my favorites of any genre.
The Magnificent Seven
Tombstone
Silverado
Outlaw Josey Wales and staying with Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter.
The Hateful Eight which I prefer to Django.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I liked the remake of True Grit more than the original. I agree with "Dances with Wolves". High Noon is another very good classic western.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A long list in no particular order:

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Unforgiven
Fistfull of Dollars
High Noon
Ox-Bow Incident
For a Few Dollars More
Tombstone
Open Range
The Searchers
Butch Cassidy
Man from Snowy River
Blazing Saddles
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
3:10 to Yuma
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Maverick
Rio Bravo
My Darling Clementine
Shane
Pale Rider
Outlaw Josey Welles
Hang em High
McClintock
Magnificent Seven (orginal)
Dances with Wolves
Quigley Down Under
Silverado
Two Mules for Sister Sara

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
For books, try The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's totally a western, if not a weird one. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't see how any movie can do the books justice.

And as for movies, the best Western ever made is The Big Country. Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons--they all give the performances of a lifetime. The music is fantastic, the scenery is stunning, and the story is compelling. Action, feuding, romance, betrayal, honor--The Big Country has it all.

I've just talked myself into watching it again right now.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dances With Wolves is very good, even though I've made fun of Kevin Costner every now and then.

Kevin Costner is actually a very good director and I would also say an underrated actor. He at least knows his limitations (i.e. not bothering to attempt a British accent in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves). I think Waterworld and The Postman kind of ruined his career and made people take him less seriously. I would've liked to see him direct more films, he seems to get the best out of his actors. Stylistically he is more or less traditional, similar to Eastwood.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Unforgiven is the alpha and omega of the western genre.

Another one I would add to the list would be the assassination of Jessie James by the coward Robert ford.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
A fist full of dollars with Clint Eastwood is my dads favorite I've seen that more than I care to say.
One of my favorite lines is from tombstone.. "I'll be your huckleberry" val Kilmer was excellent, stole the whole movie imo

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More. The third one in that trilogy - Good/Bad/Ugly - was okay, but I didn't like it quite as much.

I suspect I'd like Magnificent Seven, since its supposed to be a well done remake of Kurasawa's Seven Samurai (which I really liked). The only reason I watched Fistful of Dollars is because it's a remake of another Kurosawa film (Yojimbo maybe?), and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would.