• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Does Everybody Hate "The Dark Tower"?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A dishonest individual who I will not name recently stated that everybody hates The Dark Tower movie.

I checked around and, besides yours truly, I found plenty of people who not only don't hate that movie, they actually liked it.

Here is a sample of positive reviews from an honest movie site (not a dishonest one like rottentomatoes.com): The Dark Tower Reviews '&' Ratings - IMDb.

Critics Got This Wrong
8/10
Author: gt22350 from New River, AZ.
6 August 2017

"My wife and I went to see this movie last night. This is probably the only review I've done in the past 30 years and that's because I believe this was "UNFAIRLY REVIEWED BY CRITICS", so I'm hoping you'll give this movie a shot after reading what I have to say..."

Meant for both readers of the series and new audiences
8/10
Author: porkchop4 from United States
5 August 2017

"What I've been gleaming from many professional reviews and reviews on this site is that people were expecting this to be a direct adaptation of the book series, despite all of the press that has been released stating that this movie is essentially book eight in the series... As a devout lover of the series I was really impressed with the three leads and how they handled the material while also its various connections to the rest of the King universe. I wasn't expecting much action in this film as it is basically an alternate universe version of the first book, which itself only had two real action scenes itself, but what was there was a good recreation of how Roland fought within the books. Very interested to see where they take this story and how they will fill out the rest of Roland's group as he moves closer to the Tower."

There are more worlds... then [sic] in the movie.
9/10
Author: erin-44-626246
5 August 2017

"It is a well done quick movie about The Gunslinger. The actors were perfect. I honestly didn't feel cheated, because it leaves so much room for another one or two to fill in the remainder of the original story."

Not bad honestly.
7/10
Author: jldude from Florida
5 August 2017

'Also the whole "bad guy acts like he's this supernatural villain, yet he operates out of some Star Trek base camp" just didn't seem sinister enough to my liking.
But other than those two gripes, it was a great movie.'

Don't Understand the Bad Reviews from Fans of The Books

9/10
Author: (jahnmel) from United States
7 August 2017

These are great characters and they deserve a new journey and I can't wait to see what it brings this time. So many great references to what is yet to come. Please make the miniseries and I can't wait for the next movie!"

Give it a chance
10/10
Author: justinwright-05174
4 August 2017

"It was a fun action flick that doesn't try to repeat the experience of reading the books. I'll always have the novels. I wasn't expecting this movie to recreate that experience for me.

Plus, as a die hard fan from way back, it was just great to see Roland and Jake on screen for the first time. It just felt right.

Give it a try with an open mind."

Enjoyable adventure
9/10
Author: joe_blow-42692 from Canada
5 August 2017

"Don't compare it to the novels, just enjoy the show! Hopefully they continue the series"

Critics can't figure out what to make of this one [Prove him wrong - Mal]
9/10
Author: talismanthirteen from United States
3 August 2017

"I walked away mildly impressed. And in this case that is probably high praise. I won't be recommending it to anyone that isn't familiar with the books. In short: I liked it, but I was willing to give it a chance. I hope it gets a sequel and they can start filling in the worlds without all the exposition that was necessary to get this one moving."

Movie was nice, recommend it
10/10
Author: Hai S
4 August 2017

Surprisingly Excellent!
10/10
Author: barikasaya from United States
4 August 2017

I Like IT!!
8/10
Author: Casey Ferranti
4 August 2017

Cool film to watch
7/10
Author: Anyanwu from Los Angeles, CA
6 August 2017

Perfect start, it couldn't have gone any other way
10/10
Author: soulrocker111
6 August 2017

A movie is never a book .... [Critics, please listen well, a movie is *never* a book. Mal]
9/10
Author: Johnny from Dallas
6 August 2017

In the Spirit of the Books

9/10
Author: Ken Wendland from Here
5 August 2017

"Read these reviews carefully. Note the objections people give to the film. I see the negative reviews are predominately people who expected a direct adaptation of the books" [Correct, because they are dumb and didn't do their homework before sitting down to type bullshit into the internet.]

Great movie
10/10
Author: bdragond from United States
5 August 2017

"If you go into this movie not expecting it to be exactly like the books but more of a continuation of them then you'll love it too."

Great Movie
10/10
Author: Zenonas Michaelides from Larnaca
5 August 2017

Tower of Power
10/10
Author: stilloopless1 from United States
5 August 2017

This movie deserves wayyyy more than people are giving it
9/10
Author: stevencvgarcia from United States
4 August 2017

I was definitely entertained
9/10
Author: David L Falconer
5 August 2017

Great Movie
10/10
Author: Zenonas Michaelides from Larnaca
5 August 2017

A stupid movie reviewer wrote:
One big eye-roll, grimace, teeth gnash of disappointment.
2/10
Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
6 August 2017

"THE DARK TOWER (2017) One big hot mess of a lackluster adaptation"
More "adaptation" bullshit.

I was definitely entertained
9/10
Author: David L Falconer
5 August 2017

An Outstanding Tale and Excellent Entertainment - Go See It Now!
9/10
Author: Madoc Pope from United States
5 August 2017
"Wow! This film is awesome!

The actors are all great.

The storyline is engaging and powerful.

The pacing is perfect and relentless.

The bad guys are well and truly and wholly bad - but not in a shallow or trite manner.

The good guys are troubled, wounded, but determined, resourceful and, ultimately, good guys.

This is excellent entertainment and well worth the price of admission."

And so on...

DavyG

As a longtime fan of the books I avoided the movie for almost a year due to the bad reviews, however I recently decided to give it a fair chance.
I had done my research prior to viewing so I was aware that it is not a straight adaption of the books and I thought the movie was thoroughly enjoyable.
I do think a longer running time would have benefitted the overall story however.
Tom Taylor was excellent as Jake and Idris Elba was great as Roland, I can honestly say the scene where he teaches Jake the gunslingers creed brought a warm feeling to my heart.
I was pleasantly surprised by this film although I do think non fans of the book might struggle to understand what's actually going on.
Another positive of watching the movie is I am now in the mood to read the books for the 3rd time.
7/10 in my humble opinion.