• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Art Form

What is your favorite form of art? Is it music, poetry, visual art, literature, film, or an entirely different category altogether? What is it about that particular style that captivates you the most out of everything else? Additionally, do you think there is a more objective form of art in our modern-day culture that is lauded over other art forms?

Feel free to rank them if you'd like too.

Tough question to answer. Honestly I think it's whatever has the greatest potential to draw me out of myself using my own mind as the vehicle. If that makes any sense.

Music, especially instrumentals can transport me through my mind's eye to a myriad of different worlds. It allows me to truly escape the mundane for a while. Where a song takes me as compared to someone else is interesting. A very famous piece by ambient legend Brian Eno is An Ending (Ascent). In my opinion its a relatively simple but beautiful piece that brings me back to being a child gazing up at the stars. It's full of beauty and wonder. Yet I've read that some people find it depressing. It's fascinating that one piece of music can evoke such opposing emotions in listeners.

I might say music is my favorite art form. However, a really engrossing story does the same thing. Except then I'm immersed in another world through the mind of someone else and yet I can color it in subtle ways with my inner interpretations. You and I could read about a castle for instance and a characters perception and feelings about it yet visualize it's appearance through our individual filters. A thousand people could read about the protagonist and his/her journey and yet each experience is tailor made because of this. There's a certain beauty to that.

Then I could look at a painting and it will evoke all sorts of ideas and I'll immediately set to work trying to find possible symbolism in the image. It's as if an entire universe of meaning and possibilities are waiting for each person to find within that same piece. Again you and I could study it and come away with a different experience.

Truth be told the different forms of art are all my favorite because they illicit different feelings from me in different ways. The world would be a sadder place for the absence of any one of them.

Tough question to answer. Honestly I think it's whatever has the greatest potential to draw me out of myself using my own mind as the vehicle. If that makes any sense.

Music, especially instrumentals can transport me through my mind's eye to a myriad of different worlds. It allows me to truly escape the mundane for a while. Where a song takes me as compared to someone else is interesting. A very famous piece by ambient legend Brian Eno is An Ending (Ascent). In my opinion its a relatively simple but beautiful piece that brings me back to being a child gazing up at the stars. It's full of beauty and wonder. Yet I've read that some people find it depressing. It's fascinating that one piece of music can evoke such opposing emotions in listeners.

I might say music is my favorite art form. However, a really engrossing story does the same thing. Except then I'm immersed in another world through the mind of someone else and yet I can color it in subtle ways with my inner interpretations. You and I could read about a castle for instance and a characters perception and feelings about it yet visualize it's appearance through our individual filters. A thousand people could read about the protagonist and his/her journey and yet each experience is tailor made because of this. There's a certain beauty to that.

Then I could look at a painting and it will evoke all sorts of ideas and I'll immediately set to work trying to find possible symbolism in the image. It's as if an entire universe of meaning and possibilities are waiting for each person to find within that same piece. Again you and I could study it and come away with a different experience.

Truth be told the different forms of art are all my favorite because they illicit different feelings from me in different ways. The world would be a sadder place for the absence of any one of them.

I would have to say that music is my favorite form of art as well despite my preferred creative outlet being painting.

Music is almost always playing in the background whenever I am working on an art piece. It helps to set the mood, the entire atmosphere. It gets things going and provides a foundation in order for me to get lost in my imagination, taking me into an entirely different world and feeling as if I am in a higher plane, a meditation of sorts. I believe music is the universal language that speaks to everyone. You don't even have to get the meaning or intent behind it, but you can feel it and just know.

I also have to agree on how everyone has their own way of envisioning and even interpreting something. It's actually why I prefer it a little more when a musician keeps the meaning of their songs either a secret or ambiguous to the listener so that it is left open-ended for anyone to interpret the song. Sometimes when I feel a deep connection toward a song and eventually find out the actual meaning behind it, I notice that my original connection to it sort of fizzles out in a way, almost as if it's now lost in a haze. I suppose it's because I now would mostly relate to the song through the artist and not really through myself anymore. It's kind of the same thing when a really good book gets made into a movie. Based from my own observations, I've noticed that it is quite common for fans of the book to become at least somewhat disappointed after watching the film version of the story. I think a part of it is that their own imagination is squandered a bit due to the film visuals, and so any association to the story would now mostly be through that particular film.

And yes, I wholly agree with your last sentiment as well. Our world would be a lot less colorful if we only had just a sliver and not the entire pie itself.

Yes some of the best songs are ones with rather cryptic lyrics. I also dislike music videos for the most part because I have memories or ideas attached to the song and I don't want those images/ideas replaced. As for books being adapted for film well you just can't capture the complexity of a character and their thoughts visually, it's drastically limiting a person that if written well is as complicated and conflicted as you and I and reducing them to an image and sound bites. Plus a story layered in details and themes and symbolism is condensed into something that can't replicate it's depth.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Film/movies is a kind of a cop out answer if anyone should say Imo because it's a combination of many art forms put together...

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Film/movies is a kind of a cop out answer if anyone should say Imo because it's a combination of many art forms put together...

I beg to differ. Even if you get rid of the music and the scriptwriting, there's still the art form of cinematography, of using the camera to record movement throughout time, which in my opinion is the central art of filmmaking. There's also animation, which is undoubtedly an art form of its own.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I beg to differ. Even if you get rid of the music and the scriptwriting, there's still the art form of cinematography, of using the camera to record movement throughout time, which in my opinion is the central art of filmmaking. There's also animation, which is undoubtedly an art form of its own.

youre fine : )