• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Watchmen in Development for HBO

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've only gotten as far as episode 4. The first two episodes were okay enough for me to keep watching, but episode 3 really hooked me.

I love Jean Smart as Laurie. (I liked her in Legion and Garden State, and tend to like everything I've seen her in after her initial sitcom career). I think it's got a strong cast. Jury is still out (for me) on Jeremy Something as Veidt, but otherwise I think it's strong.

Yeah, I think I'll have a more clear opinion of Jeremy Irons as soon as I figure out where the Veidt storyline is going... right now I'm still pretty unclear on that whole bit (although there's a mini-milestone with that in #5). He's very frail, which doesn't align with the Veidt I might have expected from the book, but I'm not clear on his age. I guess 30 years + however old he was in Watchmen graphic novel.

It's nice to see Tim Blake Nelson get some solid air time, he's been doing character acting work for years but he gets much of #5 to himself. Laurie keeps cracking me up, she's got some of the best lines.

It's such an unexpected "extension/reinvention." Like, it's a continuation of the story. But there's ongoing words and imagery that is pulled right out of the old watchmen book. Like, last night, there was something referred to as Nostalgia but it wasn't how it was used in the book. Or there will be brief moments that reflect on the old book in some way but in a new context.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Obsessed with this show. Episode 1 is the best pilot I have ever watched in my life. The entire show is a brilliant sequel, companion piece, and subversion of the original source material. (I've got to read the graphic novel again.)

On a personal note, I can say that the deeply structured paranoia of Looking Glass' life (per episode 5) is perfectly done, because I had a light trauma two years ago that I reacted to similarly, for a time. I wondered, while watching, if he's a self-pres 1 like me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 7:
Geez. That was a hell of an ending.

Next episode is going to make or break this.
(I might have to rewatch all of this now too, to see if there's anything I'd view in a different light.)

Obsessed with this show. Episode 1 is the best pilot I have ever watched in my life. The entire show is a brilliant sequel, companion piece, and subversion of the original source material. (I've got to read the graphic novel again.)

It continues to do the same, although the Veidt segments are kind of frustrating -- it's not really clear what's going on or what the relevance is. It's often also almost played as comic relief. I'm really curious about WHERE he is and I'm not convinced it's someplace in reality either.

But yeah, it works as a sequel, while incorporating/mirroring images and elements from the original work, and the whole bit about Hooded Justice is as you saw an amazing subversion of the source. Episode 7 only continues in that vein.

I've read that the writing room has fairly equal numbers of black and white writers, but also about equal amounts male and female. Episode 7 has a lot of strong female characters driving the plot forward, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

On a personal note, I can say that the deeply structured paranoia of Looking Glass' life (per episode 5) is perfectly done, because I had a light trauma two years ago that I reacted to similarly, for a time. I wondered, while watching, if he's a self-pres 1 like me.

I would definitely say self-pres. Probably either a 1 or a 6, not sure which.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm on episode two or three and hate it so far. If I wasn't so familiar with this guys schtick it would bother me less, but it just feels like one Lindelof trope after the next.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I rewatched episode 1 last night, to start seeing what I might catch. One thing I feel dumb for missing, regarding Oklahoma:

Also, there's a really terrible pun/spoiler connected with the episode 7 reveal:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do I need to see the film to know what's going on, or is this a hard reboot?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm on episode two or three and hate it so far. If I wasn't so familiar with this guys schtick it would bother me less, but it just feels like one Lindelof trope after the next.

Oh. He's part of the reason Star Trek sucks now. Might actually avoid this one then. Projects he's been involved in have brought me nothing but pain and cringe. Hey, maybe this time will be different. Yeah, I keep telling myself that and keep getting let down by these clowns.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh. He's part of the reason Star Trek sucks now. Might actually avoid this one then. Projects he's been involved in have brought me nothing but pain and cringe. Hey, maybe this time will be different. Yeah, I keep telling myself that and keep getting let down by these clowns.

Frankly, I'm not sure WTF either of you are talking about with Watchmen HBO. It seems to resemble more his "Leftovers" project (probably the best thing he's done), than anything else you are complaining about (and yeah, I've seen enough Lindleof stuff in my time and am irked he really fubared the last season or two of Lost).

If you guys want to actually discuss/critique the show versus bitching about vague / past experiences with Lindleof, feel free.

do I need to see the film to know what's going on, or is this a hard reboot?

F*ck the film, it's just a mindless regurgitation of the book (like, shot by shot as much as Snyder could) without any of the emotional energy of the book. Snyder was really the wrong director for that film.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frankly, I'm not sure WTF either of you are talking about with Watchmen HBO. It seems to resemble more his "Leftovers" project (probably the best thing he's done), than anything else you are complaining about (and yeah, I've seen enough Lindleof stuff in my time and am irked he really fubared the last season or two of Lost).

If you guys want to actually discuss/critique the show versus bitching about vague / past experiences with Lindleof, feel free.

Prometheus, meh--lots of supposedly smart characters doing the dumbest things possible because the plot demanded it, a few cool visuals, a half-assed story that we were hyped to believe would be real, thoughtful science fiction bringing up the kind of questions and mysteries sci-fans like, only not really any profound ideas or themes at all, just an excuse to showcase Ridley Scott's masturbatory visual style and a lot of plot points that directly contradict the pre-established lore of the Alien Universe. Cowboys and Aliens, meh. Into Darkness, first half or so was kind of cool, then it morphs into a remake of Star Trek II on steroids, so meh to the second half of that film; can't really blame him for Trek '09 since he was only a producer on that one. World War Z, meh, another boring zombie movie, but mashed up with the trope of the one brilliant, hunky, brooding scientist guy with perfect hair who is the only hope for human survival (South Park really nailed this one when they lampooned the Brad Pitt character). And the zombies run, big surprise there. It was like some suit in a Hollywood boardroom said "I want a movie that is one part Walking Dead, one part I Am Legend, and one part every goddamn movie about a viral outbreak ever made".) Shame too, because I normally love anything Max Brooks does regarding zombies, but they really fucked up with this adaptation of his book.

A look at his writing credits and the majority of projects he's had a hand in have been let downs, often featuring hackneyed writing full of current sci-fi film tropes and characters who either act like no real human would in those situations, or just seem like they're pulled from a TV Tropes guide of action movie character tropes.

I'm not saying I won't give anything he's touched a chance, but given the majority of his credits (Lost included), I'm not going to have particularly high expectations. Set that bar nice and low, right on the ground, just watch your step. The guy's a hack, a producer of mediocrity who somehow keeps stumbling into gigs working on decent and great properties, often leaving said properties in worse condition once he's done.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

I mean...if your mother is a terrible cook across the board, there's a pretty good chance her duck o'lorange attempt this sunday isn't going to knock it out of the park.

Still might be worth a try.

Just be prepared for lots of the usual jack and kate filler scenes and an incohesive plot line built around the signature lindelof 'network of mysteries' and the rest of it might be worth watching. I liked Jeremy Iron's portrayal of old ozymandias. But yeah, so far nothing he has done has done it for me. I watched the first season of The Leftovers, marveled at how much it reminded me of Lost, lost interest- and at some point watched the last 5 minutes of the series after it ended. Felt like savedyouaclick.com, I was pretty glad I stopped watching when I did. Might do the same with this one, unless it gains some traction in my day to day peers or something- which I doubt. #savedyoualindelof

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
After watching a few more episodes I have to say it's pretty good other than the usual complaints. Soundtrack is great, there's lots of clever cut away/segues, some pretty neat sci-fi-y ideas, and lots of good performances. Less filler than I anticipated after the pilot- things move at a pretty good clip.

I could do without the avalanche of wokeness, and I don't really care for the lead actress, but it's a pretty good example of being woke without being complete trash IMO. Lindelof is still a hack that clearly cares more about being liked by his peers than doing anything truly brave, and I do get annoyed anytime he plays his signature mystery/delayed payoff game (which is often), but I might actually recommend this one. We will see how it ends. If there's any major season one cliffhanger (which I expect), I'll rescind that recommendation.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally caught up and finished. [Season finale spoilers.]

It's such an unexpected "extension/reinvention." Like, it's a continuation of the story. But there's ongoing words and imagery that is pulled right out of the old watchmen book. Like, last night, there was something referred to as Nostalgia but it wasn't how it was used in the book. Or there will be brief moments that reflect on the old book in some way but in a new context.

Unexpected is a good word for it. I wasn't expecting anything specific, I didn't really harbor many expectations at all, and yet somehow it's still unexpected. In a good way (imo, I really liked it). I decided that I liked Irons as Veidt, because he brought a good flavor of vulnerability to an aged Veidt. I usually dislike Tom Mison (the male clone), but I thought this role was perfect for him; it made good use of his annoying inherent whimsy.

Lots of quirks (like the clones on Europa, and the Veidt backstory of Europa itself) that I'd initially thought might be presented as simply as atmospheric flair for a character's panache actually had a richer explanation that I anticipated. The explanation for how a 100+ year old man was able to lynch Judd was more satisfying that I thought it would be. All the backstories, actually, were more satisfying than I expected them to be.

It's actually kind of strange how cleanly they tied up all the loose ends presented, since that's not been a Lindlelof strength. I liked Lost and Leftovers, but for both it took a certain amount of letting go of expecting an ending to 'make sense' of the information presented throughout the series. Watching his finales is kind of like accidentally picking up someone else's glass and taking a swig of a drink that you weren't expecting; beer in itself isn't bad, but it can be in the context of expecting soda. Lost (and to a lesser extent, Leftovers) set up the expectation for a lot of loose ends to come together and be kind of mind-blowing (in a pattern that earlier seasons set), but then the point was more like "life is full of loose ends and we're all lost in them". I could only appreciate Lost after watching it all again a few years later. And then with Leftovers, I kinda went into it not expecting anything but a really vague/abstract ending, and I think that's the only reason I could appreciate it. (Also Leftovers didn't even set the tone of tying together loose ends in an amazing way to begin with, so there wasn't that expectation really). This guy's work requires consciously stopping to remember that the last sip probably isn't going to taste like the first half of the glass, so you have to go into it with a clean palate to find the value. So it's weird that everything got tied up in such a satisfying way in the finale. (Of course, if there are more seasons, this - starting out by tying up loose ends in such a satisfying way - could be Lindlelof just setting us up for another 'super untied ends' abstract whammy of a series ending). The 'bad' ending of Lost is different from the 'bad' GoT ending in that the ending of GoT was just plain bad, no matter how much one clean's one palate to remove expectations about what it should reveal.

My single complaint is that Dr. Manhattan was a bit too emo at the end. It was out of character/disrupted the suspension of disbelief for me.

One question: why did the white supremacists wear Rorschach's mask? I don't remember there being any connection in the book between Rorschach and white supremacy, even remotely. eta: Rorschach has actually always been one of my favorite characters, and this connection kind of sullies him in a disappointing way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally caught up and finished. [Season finale spoilers.]

I did too. It's one of the few shows where I actually watched the final 2-3 episodes as they aired (while simultaneously DVR'ing). So I'm glad to have enjoyed it that much.

I have to say that this show is FUNNIER than I expected it to be. I actually was laughing out loud at a lot of it -- including the opening involving the incubation of sample #2346. There's just a lot of silly, brash, "in your face" lines and actions that were shocking in a good way. Or like when the Huntsman asks Veidt if he was a worthy adversary as he's lying there, and Veidt just says, "No" (but you put on a hell of a show).

I think the writers had a lot of fun sometimes just dropping lines that were like slaps in the face, running against the conventional expectation.

Unexpected is a good word for it. I wasn't expecting anything specific, I didn't really harbor many expectations at all, and yet somehow it's still unexpected. In a good way (imo, I really liked it). I decided that I liked Irons as Veidt, because he brought a good flavor of vulnerability to an aged Veidt. I usually dislike Tom Mison (the male clone), but I thought this role was perfect for him; it made good use of his annoying inherent whimsy.

Yeah, i did not bring in many expectations either. And I think it just took some time for the show to get a head of steam. I mean, it's different and interesting off the bat, but it really kicks in around episode 5-6.

Lots of quirks (like the clones on Europa, and the Veidt backstory of Europa itself) that I'd initially thought might be presented as simply as atmospheric flair for a character's panache actually had a richer explanation that I anticipated. The explanation for how a 100+ year old man was able to lynch Judd was more satisfying that I thought it would be. All the backstories, actually, were more satisfying than I expected them to be.

Yeah. it's kind of nice to come in without expectation.

I'm not sure I felt an extremity of emotion while watching (except for the Tulsa Riot, or the Hooded Justice bit, or the relationship between Angela and Cal) -- and I guess I'm mainly thinking about the season finale -- but I still felt pleased, "this is nice." Because it also wasn't predictable or an obvious rehash. The show did a beautiful job of incorporating bits of the original book that were recognizable as they appeared, while weaving its own story and being its own thing and not a conventional story either. I felt like it contributed something of value to the cultural discussion. The finale did a decent job of bringing everything together.

It's actually kind of strange how cleanly they tied up all the loose ends presented, since that's not been a Lindlelof strength. I liked Lost and Leftovers, but for both it took a certain amount of letting go of expecting an ending to 'make sense' of the information presented throughout the series. Watching his finales is kind of like accidentally picking up someone else's glass and taking a swig of a drink that you weren't expecting; beer in itself isn't bad, but it can be in the context of expecting soda. Lost (and to a lesser extent, Leftovers) set up the expectation for a lot of loose ends to come together and be kind of mind-blowing (in a pattern that earlier seasons set), but then the point was more like "life is full of loose ends and we're all lost in them". I could only appreciate Lost after watching it all again a few years later. And then with Leftovers, I kinda went into it not expecting anything but a really vague/abstract ending, and I think that's the only reason I could appreciate it.

I did rewatch Lost about two years ago in basically a "binge" viewing over the space of a few weeks. It actually made seasons 4-5 more palatable -- they didn't stretch on interminably -- and I think my biggest problems were always with the last season. just too much trite stuff or completely out of left field (in terms of the glowing pool) that wasn't satisfying. I never had an issue with the actors. The mysteries left on the table were unsatisfying in general, and the mysteries that were resolved had unsatisfying resolutions.

(Also Leftovers didn't even set the tone of tying together loose ends in an amazing way to begin with, so there wasn't that expectation really).

Yeah, there it was really clear based on EVERYTHING -- every single episode -- that the show was never about being handed explanations but about what it means to face a life that is inherently without definition and instead finding one's own personal reason to live.

This guy's work requires consciously stopping to remember that the last sip probably isn't going to taste like the first half of the glass, so you have to go into it with a clean palate to find the value. So it's weird that everything got tied up in such a satisfying way in the finale. (Of course, if there are more seasons, this - starting out by tying up loose ends in such a satisfying way - could be Lindlelof just setting us up for another 'super untied ends' abstract whammy of a series ending). The 'bad' ending of Lost is different from the 'bad' GoT ending in that the ending of GoT was just plain bad, no matter how much one clean's one palate to remove expectations about what it should reveal.

I agree on that. they were different kinds of beasts. I don't think Lindleof ever phoned it in either, he tried but just didn't pull things together despite his efforts. I felt like the GoT just drop-kicked the final season or two off a cliff so as not to be bothered.

Anyway, about the Watchmen finale -- I'm not sure how it could have been resolved better, aside from maybe another 10 minutes to unwind / get more emotional closure. I enjoyed it and it did the best it could, I think I just wanted a little more emotional catharsis in there. And I'm not sure I buy Laurie's half-assed approach to Veidt. It's not clear whether I could trust Veidt's assessment of Trieu (who I wish we had gotten a bit more of HER backstory and how this colored her reasons for her particular goals). Is Angela trustworthy? after all she's also a masked vigilante with a lot of anger issues (reasonably so), but I think this is why Will grounded her with his memories and she is also tempered by love... so the thought is that maybe she could embody some kind of force of positive change because of this experience of deep connection with another and the social context her ancestor provided for better understanding who she is. But again, I'm surprised they had so many balls in the air and actually did draw a lot of them together and tie them up, everything kept reverberating. They even tied the shrimp storms in.

And I hadn't forgotten about the egg back in the bar either, so I was waiting, waiting, waiting for those final few minutes.... and what Cal had said that Angela had needed to see.

Regina King is so great. But much of the acting was really great.

One question: why did the white supremacists wear Rorschach's mask? I don't remember there being any connection in the book between Rorschach and white supremacy, even remotely. eta: Rorschach has actually always been one of my favorite characters, and this connection kind of sullies him in a disappointing way.

One bit:
Watchmen: Rorschach and The 7th Cavalry Explained | Den of Geek

There's a kind of severity + fringe outlook that aligns Rorshach and 7K honestly...

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway, about the Watchmen finale -- I'm not sure how it could have been resolved better, aside from maybe another 10 minutes to unwind / get more emotional closure. I enjoyed it and it did the best it could, I think I just wanted a little more emotional catharsis in there. And I'm not sure I buy Laurie's half-assed approach to Veidt. It's not clear whether I could trust Veidt's assessment of Trieu (who I wish we had gotten a bit more of HER backstory and how this colored her reasons for her particular goals). Is Angela trustworthy? after all she's also a masked vigilante with a lot of anger issues (reasonably so), but I think this is why Will grounded her with his memories and she is also tempered by love... so the thought is that maybe she could embody some kind of force of positive change because of this experience of deep connection with another and the social context her ancestor provided for better understanding who she is. But again, I'm surprised they had so many balls in the air and actually did draw a lot of them together and tie them up, everything kept reverberating. They even tied the shrimp storms in.

This is pretty much exactly what Lindelof said himself. In the link in the above post (it's too difficult to quote people from my phone, so I posted it as a separate thing), he says that Finding Your Roots inspired a lot of the Watchmen storyline because finding out about ancestor's struggles informs us about "who we are" in an indelible way. The struggle shaped the ancestor, that shaping got passed down, and seeing how it started/what caused the shaping has a profound effect.

And I hadn't forgotten about the egg back in the bar either, so I was waiting, waiting, waiting for those final few minutes.... and what Cal had said that Angela had needed to see.

Regina King is so great. But much of the acting was really great.

She really is. And I was doing the "waiting, waiting" thing at the end too - I'd forgotten about the egg, but the other shoe hadn't dropped yet about Manhattan reminding Angela that he could walk on water (and telling her it was important to remind her).

One bit:
Watchmen: Rorschach and The 7th Cavalry Explained | Den of Geek

There's a kind of severity + fringe outlook that aligns Rorshach and 7K honestly...

Ugh. It's interesting, and I do see how the outlook aligns, but it's also kind of grating. Because in the current political climate so many Trump supporters feel like the left consider them racist for simply being Trump supporters (while there are liberals who make that leap, to be sure - anyone who lumps all liberals together with that belief is doing the thing they're complaining about, "when we point at someone, three fingers pointing back at us" and all that, but anyway...), and this connection kinda affirms it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I saw this yesterday. I really hope people see this as an opportunity to take a serious look at what this country has allowed to happen to people of color, not only Tulsa but all over the country, particularly in this time period. There are white people that will wave it off as something people of color need to get over but I don't think it's as easy to say that when the reality of this kind of white supremacist evil (white capitalists wanted black land too) is on display loudly. It's not a coincidence that the Tulsa mass murder is something many people have no idea happened.

I have not watched the last 3 episodes but I will say the acting was phenomenal, even Don Johnson and I was happy to see Louis Gosset Jr. getting roles of this caliber again. I think I saw an idiotic comment in this thread about Regina King but she's always been able to take these characters and present them in this raw way, naturally that makes some uncomfortable.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
After finishing the series all I can say is that it's as Lindelof as it gets with the added bonus of hyper wokeness. For some reason I expected to hear a giant fart sound of disappointment instead of the closing credits.

Still might be worth watching for some high points scattered throughout, but the ending is what you would expect from the man.

2 out of 5 stars

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw this yesterday. I really hope people see this as an opportunity to take a serious look at what this country has allowed to happen to people of color, not only Tulsa but all over the country, particularly in this time period. There are white people that will wave it off as something people of color need to get over but I don't think it's as easy to say that when the reality of this kind of white supremacist evil (white capitalists wanted black land too) is on display loudly. It's not a coincidence that the Tulsa mass murder is something many people have no idea happened.

I learned about it maybe 15 years ago in an article about how it really was effectively erased for a long time - more people than not believed it was a hoax, I guess, in the year the article was written. (15 years is an estimate, I really can't remember when I read about it). That was the product of intentional effort to make the history disappear, and it almost worked. That's just chilling.

And the older I get, the more it hits me that this stuff really wasn't that long ago. Maybe 10 years ago I worked with a nurse who actually went to Emmett Till's funeral (she was young at the time, her mom took her - but still, that she was alive to be there and old enough to remember...). It kind of blows my mind that any black person I know who is about 17 + years old than me likely remembers experiencing legal segregation. So yeah, I can't help but feel a little disgust for the "people of color need to get over it" attitude myself. Even though I know it's often born from inheriting the attitude from others and just flat out not thinking it through - rather than active malice/racism - it's still harmful, so yeah.