• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Handmaid's Tale

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm on the latest episode. This is the best one yet. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I'm liking how this is unfolding.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I should start watching again. Is the season finale next week?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess I should start watching again. Is the season finale next week?

I think there were only supposed to be 13 episodes in the second season and this was the 13th episode. The way this episode ended with a cliffhanger and that makes me think there will be a third season. But it was cool. It was a feminist ending. You'll see when you get there. You were right though. This is a really soap opera-y show and it really dragged out.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's so mind-numbingly boring and the lead character is probably a bland 9 like how we tend to be painted in general. The inaction is strong with that one.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's so mind-numbingly boring and the lead character is probably a bland 9 like how we tend to be painted in general. The inaction is strong with that one.

If being hesitant to act out because doing so would lead to tortue, pain and maybe death means you're a 9 then I think most of us are 9s. I thought the story itself is refreshingly free of typical action heroes.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I made it 30 minutes through episode one before the absolutely absurd premise of the show began making me throw up in my mouth a little (ok, a lot). Is this seriously how feminists see religion, and what they are afraid of happening in the future? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Are you referring to feminists of today, or the feminists of 32 years ago when this story was written?

I read the book years ago and saw the original film. While it's not a likely scenario, the current political climate is causing the series to be taken down a road I don't really want to go - some discussions and reviews and projections aren't helping. This has no bearing on it being good or not. From everything I've read it's excellent.

It's based on the Iranian revolution of 1979, they just changed the country and religion to make it "omg could something like this happen?" instead of "well yeah, that's how it is there"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
June's kind of a hellion, honestly, not a peacemaker type. She's the one who initiated events leading to Luke leaving his first wife and was generally disrupting Gilead when others were too frightened to offer any kind of protest. She was so freaking ACTIVE during Season 1 and the early parts of Season 2, I'm not sure I'd ever call her an inactive personality, she's just been temporarily beaten into submission and has no options for open rebellion at the moment (at least as far as I watched, through episode 8-9).

She's only been sedate/placid in the middle portion of Season 2 because she's pregnant (and wants to protect her baby) and because she realized she was getting too many people hurt/killed due to her rebellious streak. I'm not sure I buy all the placid behavior from her but it's not such a glaring thing that it distracts from the story.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If being hesitant to act out because doing so would lead to tortue, pain and maybe death means you're a 9 then I think most of us are 9s.

She got herself into that situation. I saw the first few episodes then gave up which was a good call.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will finish this up in the next few days.

I just finished Episode 10 (The Last Ceremony). I feel like this episode was a mess, kind of my unfolding gripe as Season 2 has progressed. Season 1 seemed to be more coherent and focused. This episode in particular really reinforced to me how it's really more of a collection of things the writers want to show or say, rather than being truly character driven.

One issue is that the Waterfords are all over the map -- sympathetic, villainous, kind, cruel -- depending upon the needs of the current episode.

I feel bad for Eden. And Nick is so obviously terrible at being a husband. Eden just really needs stressed to her that IT'S NOT HER that is the problem -- it's the system that has put her in this shit marriage with a guy who was never into her even if he has no hard feelings towards her. Her crying jag at the end was really good, as far as the acting went. But man, Nick -- just put your arm around her, tell her you think she's great, but you are just making do as much as she is, never asked to be married, etc. I dunno. She needs to not feel so alone... that is the worst -- she's alone, her world makes no sense, she has nothing to lean in. Or maybe she just NEEDS to be alone, and then either die or pull herself up and become stronger? I don't know.

Okay, and then the whole last bit with the visit to the other estate:

I will admit, the visual of the final scene was great. The white snow, the tall brown straight trees, and the only splash of color being the red handmaid's outfit as June stands there in the snow.

Anyway, this is my criticism of the season, I guess. There are moments I think are great, but... it's just so freaking soap at times now, without regard for establishing and developing the characters as people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought Episode 11 ("Holly") was pretty excellent, actually.

maybe we can just end the series here? On a happy note?

Based on the tone of other comments here and on FB, I'm not sure I wanna watch the last two....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So my understanding now is that Season 1 seemed to really have more consistent characterization and character-driven arcs. My feeling is that Season 2 kind of jettisoned all of that -- characters are friends, enemies, sympathetic, antagonistic based on the needs of the moment -- where the whole season is really meant to trigger and/or outrage the viewing audience.

The episodes written by the showrunner tend to be the best ones of the season overall, but there seems to be no real effort to have a consistent emotional response / psychological unfolding from the various characters. They don't really have personal arcs like in Season 1. Fred is now mostly the moustache-twiddling douchebag, where in Season 1 he was more nuanced and seemed to have mixed-feelings about Gilead. Serena is bipolar in her responses to June... it seems to flip based on whether the writers want a conflict or some conciliatory measure. June seems either hell-bent or wishy-washy as hell, depending on the needs of the moment. It really became a slog for me to watch, I ended up stopping some episodes every ten minutes to surf the net because I was bored.

As far as particular plot twists:

Not sure how I feel about a third season. Flip-floppy drama meant primarily to stoke outrage is not something I'm much into. I want to watch the stories of human beings, whether they are fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, and journey with them... but Season 2 really seemed to lose its sense of who the characters were or where they were going -- they simply became representations of large social forces and mindsets, warring with each other.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Flip-floppy drama meant primarily to stoke outrage is not something I'm much into. I want to watch the stories of human beings, whether they are fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, and journey with them... but Season 2 really seemed to lose its sense of who the characters were or where they were going -- they simply became representations of large social forces and mindsets, warring with each other.

As Gilead begins to disintegrate, the characters are becoming increasingly unstable and less predictable. At least, that's what I personally took away from this season. I think any interpretation of the characters' relationships and decisions needs to take into account the very nature of Gilead itself.

I was supremely disappointed and annoyed by the season finale, and from what I have read online, I'm far from alone. I'll give Season 3 a chance when it comes out next year, if only for the amazing cinematography and because I care about what happens to certain characters. I just hope it's worth it. I read somewhere that Bruce Miller saw this show as having like 9 or 10 seasons - if so, that's ridiculous. Wrap it up in the next two seasons, please. I get that they're trying to show the nuances of each character, provide everyone's backstories, and give more insight into how Gilead functions, but this show is hard as hell to watch sometimes, and they've more than proven their point by now.

That being said, one of my favorite (and most hilarious) moments of S2 happened in the finale -

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, I wanted that bitch dead too...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that was a good line by Lawrence. Every so often, there would be a funny line at least.

I saw the same comment by the showrunner and I was like "Dear god, 10 seasons? No. Please, no." I mean GoT had the source material for much of its run and the quality is already deteriorating before Season 8 even arrived. Most shows can't do 10 seasons realistically. Breaking Bad only went 62 episodes and that's a pretty solid show.

I'm aware Gilead is under stress, but that doesn't change how I am perceiving the characters as inconsistently written in Season 2. I'm glad you are able to enjoy it, but for me, it's just unpredictable incoherent characterization. They really need to get each character on an understandable arc. We're seeing Serena on a vague one (moving from "supporting Gilead" to realizing she's as screwed as any other woman there now), but what's Fred want in life? He has no drive. Neither does Aunt Lydia. A lot of major characters don't really exist as people anymore, they're just impediments. Not sure what the hell Luke is doing either.

Season 3 better be about June trying to escape with Hannah because if it's not, well, what the hell is this story about?

It's just a shame, because the cinematography is beautiful, and the acting is generally top-notch.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the book in college and we discussed it being inspired by the Iranian Revolution.

I'm always hesitant when they make books I like into movies/shows. Its on my to watch list but I don't watch much television so who knows when I'll get around to watching.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yesterday's episode got me feeling shit. I really hope Fred gets his ass kicked soon.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do they have any consistent character arcs this season, or is it all still about characters doing crazy stuff in service of the plot so as to wave flags and bolster Da Reziztants?