• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Mummy (1999-2017)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tom Cruise plays "Nick Morton" in a remake of a remake of a Shakespeare play of the same name (just kidding). Russell Crowe plays Dr. Jekyll Hyde (again, just kidding).

When I see this I will review it, I promise.

But I have seen The Mummy (1999), a remake of a remake based on a plot originally written for Big Trouble in Little China, which is one of the best movies ever made (just kidding, I liked it, but it isn't all that some guys make it out to be). My favorite part in both movies is where the bad guy is immortal, but for some reason he has to become mortal in order to wed the girl. Then, as soon as he becomes mortal, *POW*, he's dead, either from a knife to the forehead (which is merely a flesh wound where I come from), or a sword through the intestinal tract.

flesh%20wound_zpsd3znlrkt.jpg

This is merely a flesh wound where [MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION] comes from

I'm actually interested to see Tom Cruise playing in the lead role in such a movie. It's the only, repeat, the *only* reason I am going to see this movie. I'm not a Cruise fan, nor am I a Scientologist. There's just something very intriguing about it and I want to know what it is.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went to see it in 4dx but no 3D? I hate that strobe light. Anyway, It felt like a comic movie in the making, super hero'ish?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went to see it in 4dx but no 3D? I hate that strobe light. Anyway, It felt like a comic movie in the making, super hero'ish?

The only viewing options I had were 2d and 3d.

I just got back from watching Tom Cruise in The Mummy. Tom Cruise plays an adventurer named Nick Morton who, along with his sidekick Chris Vail, are searching Iraq for artifacts. It just so happens that in this case the mummy is buried in Iraq, which is convenient as the movie takes place during the present-day conflict in the Middle East.

I characterize this movie as Tom Cruise vs. the Mummy T-1000 (note Terminator reference). This T-1000's abilities are physical and magical, but not technological. Tom Cruise plays the reluctant anti-hero similar to realist Kurt Russell in Big Trouble In Little China, but with less humor and pizzazz.

The 2017 variation of The Mummy lacks the epic feel of the lengthier 1999 version. But then it would have been out of place for Tom Cruise to appear in an epic feature. And Americans want their stories told at a rapid "Top Gun" pace. The 1999 version contained perhaps 1/2 hour of back story, whereas this one contained maybe 10 minutes at the most. It is enough to say that some ancient Egyptian was mummified in a horrific way that bodes poorly for some future generation of humans who unluckily stumble upon the tomb.

However, I must say that, for those who know the 1999 version, this present-day version ends very differently.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got back from watching Tom Cruise in The Mummy. Tom Cruise plays an adventurer named Nick Morton who, along with his sidekick Chris Vail, are searching Iraq for artifacts. It just so happens that in this case the mummy is buried in Iraq, which is convenient as the movie takes place during the present-day conflict in the Middle East.

I characterize this movie as Tom Cruise vs. the Mummy T-1000 (note Terminator reference). This T-1000's abilities are physical and magical, but not technological. Tom Cruise plays the reluctant anti-hero similar to realist Kurt Russell in Big Trouble In Little China, but with less humor and pizzazz.

The 2017 variation of The Mummy lacks the epic feel of the lengthier 1999 version. But then it would have been out of place for Tom Cruise to appear in an epic feature. And Americans want their stories told at a rapid "Top Gun" pace. The 1999 version contained perhaps 1/2 hour of back story, whereas this one contained maybe 10 minutes at the most. It is enough to say that some ancient Egyptian was mummified in a horrific way that bodes poorly for some future generation of humans who unluckily stumble upon the tomb.

anti-hero? meaning he is similar to robin hood?

However, I must say that, for those who know the 1999 version, this present-day version ends very differently.

I thought the end was very comic book/hero movie ending potential. What was Dr Jekyll to you? It seemed like another super hero, Hellboy comes to mind.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anti-hero? meaning he is similar to robin hood?

I thought the end was very comic book/hero movie ending potential. What was Dr Jekyll to you? It seemed like another super hero, Hellboy comes to mind.

Anti-hero: a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes.

Wasn't Nick Morton a thief? Yes. Was he a liar? Yes. Was he a hero? Only at the end. Even Dr. Jekyll, who was a villain, stated that Nick had achieved redemption.