• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flatliners (2017)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this dropped today....

Still not sure how I feel about it or whether it will be worth seeing. It looks like it could have been a lot worse, but it's not clear if it's any good.

I'm not a huge fan of Joel Schumacher, and the original Flatliners (1990) had its flaws and might have been better with a different director, but it still had some memorable stuff in it. Of course, it helped that it was "my generation" (I was only 22 and the stars were essentially my age), and there was just a kind of an endearing Kitschiness to some of it. Plus, there was a kind of moral compass involved in terms of the characters have to own up to past mistakes and take responsibility for them. The stories are all also different, which I liked -- one character avoids taking responsibility and pays the price, another takes responsibility and earns a reprieve, another is in really hot water, a fourth is wracked by guilt over something that they might or might not be culpable for, etc... It's also Hope Davis' first acting job, I think, in a small but very memorable role... she stuck in my head even then.

It also had a few nice bits of early musical work by James Newton Howard.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how much they 'port over to the remake and what things they take in a different direction. They have already changed the composition of the group to 3 girls and 2 guys, although it looks like Luna might be playing a similar role to Platt, and there are two strong-willed doctors (ellen page and a male actor I don't know) this time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, this dud comes out this week.

I'm expecting it to be DOA. Maybe it'll have a twitch or two of life.

EDIT: Wednesday afternoon

No reviews yet out there for a Friday release.
.... yeaaaahhhhhhhh.....

wait for it
wait for it

EDIT2: Also, it's a PG-13 (!) sequel/remake of a rated R "horror" movie. Arggggg.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahahaha.

They had only dropped four minor reviews when I woke up this morning -- I mean, that's the day of the release. What a tight embargo! They were all negative.

RT score (12 review) - 0% HAHAHAHAHA
Metacritic (4 reviews?) - 36

I'll have to see if I can get a stream on it either now or a redbox later.

----

EDIT: Friday night. Still at 0% RT (29 reviews). oh dear.
Metacritic: 31/100 (10 reviews).

Point of comparison: Metacritic scored the Inhumans TV show at at 30.