• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2008 NFL Season

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
The loss of Chris Johnson really hurt them. You got the sense that he was going to at least have a couple of game opening plays to save them somewhat. Forcing collins to try and win the game wasn't the best option. There's little reason why the Titans shouldn't have capitalized more, they had the game in won and had control.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I agree, there is no excuse. That's why the Titans lost. But this talk about Baltimore being a better team is a joke. The better team doesn't always win the game (otherwise there would be a 19-0 team every season).

Fanboy speak for "my team got outplayed but they're better on paper" whatever that counts for in the playoffs.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
The loss of Chris Johnson really hurt them. You got the sense that he was going to at least have a couple of game opening plays to save them somewhat. Forcing collins to try and win the game wasn't the best option. There's little reason why the Titans shouldn't have capitalized more, they had the game in won and had control.
They should have been up something like 17-7 or 21-7 at halftime. So many missed opportunities. The way I see it, the Titans beat themselves with mistakes. This one is going to eat at the fans and organization for a long time. I wish I could forget it.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP

That little reason is called the other team kicking their ass in the clutch. 5 fumbles don't magically happen to good teams.

They should have been up something like 17-7 or 21-7 at halftime. So many missed opportunities. The way I see it, the Titans beat themselves with mistakes. This one is going to eat at the fans and organization for a long time. I wish I could forget it.

Should'ves, again. You're like someone arguing the Chargers would've won if LT and Merriman were healthy last year, or Dallas that year Romo fumbled the snap. Ifs don't win games in the playoffs.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Right, you have to be a Senor to see Tennessee choked. Ofcourse they just choked for no good reason. The other team had NOTHING to do with it, they just had a bad day.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Right, you have to be a Senor to see Tennessee choked. Ofcourse they just choked for no good reason. The other team had NOTHING to do with it, they just had a bad day.
Normally I enjoy debates, just not with you. It's your style of arguing.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Normally I enjoy debates, just not with you. It's your style of arguing.

That's because you're immune to any reality that doesn't correspond with how you say things SHOULD be. They "should've" won, "if only" they didn't play the way they played, things would've been different and they'dve won. They're a better team on paper. Great argument, how could I NOT be persuaded.

Facts: Baltimore 2-0 in the playoffs and Tennessee 0-1. Maybe next year.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, you'll never get it. It'll be okay though. Ignorance is bliss.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
ESPN - Battered, bruised Ravens pass their physical - AFC North

But Saturday at LP Field, Baltimore sure looked like a team of destiny with all of the breaks that went its way.

* Tennessee committed three turnovers in Baltimore territory, including an Alge Crumpler fumble on the 1-yard line in the fourth quarter with Baltimore ahead, 10-7.
* A delay of game penalty was not called on a third-down conversion that kept the Ravens' winning drive alive late in the fourth quarter, a drive that ended with Matt Stover's game-winning 43-yard field goal with 53 seconds remaining.
* The Titans were without rookie running back Chris Johnson for the second half. He was well on his way to having the best ground game of any Ravens' opponent with 72 yards on 11 carries.
* Tennessee kicker Rob Bironas pushed a 51-yard field-goal attempt wide left in the third quarter, one play after a 5-yard Bo Scaife catch was negated by replay.
* Baltimore's first 10 points were the result of long Joe Flacco pass plays, including a 37-yard pass to Mark Clayton, who sorted through double coverage from Pro Bowlers Cortland Finnegan and Chris Hope to come up with the ball.

But great teams make their own breaks, and the Ravens' afternoon wasn't exactly a frolic under the rainbow.

Pro Bowl outside linebacker Terrell Suggs suffered a sprained right shoulder and missed the second half. A bad ankle forced Pro Bowl running back Le'Ron McClain off the field for several snaps. Four-time Pro Bowl tackle Willie Anderson was in and out with a stinger. Cornerback Samari Rolle left the game in the second half with a groin injury...

The difference, though, was the Ravens' defense.

It's always the defense.

They were pushed around but came up with critical plays when it mattered.

Although the Titans lost only two of them, they fumbled five times. In addition to Crumpler's costly fumble on the doorstep, White lost one on the Ravens' 15-yard line right before halftime.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think that article was more rhetorical than necessary. In effect I think the argument is the fact that the Titans had a surprising amount of influence on the games outcome and by virtue of their ineptitude at critical points of the game, with consistency, afforded the ravens the opportunity to capitalize. If you break down most of those plays I can guarantee you the onus was on the Titans. The fact that Baltimore has consistently had a top class defense and has a number of name players changes the overall perception of their impact.

I think what you're stuck arguing is whether or not they lost, and if they deserved to win as a result of their play. That discussion to me rests solely on the lens of the titans. I don't think the ravens necessarily constitute much of the argument for this game. As evidenced by the extensive amount of coverage devoted to the titans lack of capitalization. They had influence, they had control, and they did not exert it, or leverage it like a championship team should have. As a result they GAVE baltimore a window, multiple ones, I might add. They still only lost by three. Anybody in a similar situation would be devastated by the fact that they repeatedly ceded control.

Once again look how that story was written, it parallels the game excellently. It could only be written with that order because the titans by all means dictated the game. Unfortunately for them they crumbled at critical moments. It's a leap of faith to say baltimore merely rose in those occasions. If that were the case there would be a more rapid compare and contrast article written point by point.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Agreed, this game was more about what Tennessee didn't do than what Baltimore did. And it was totally out of character for them.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I got home late from work so just watched both games on tape.

The Titans controlled play, but turnovers will kill you. I think they lost that game in the second quarter with the two long drives that ended in turnovers. 2 drives, 122 yards, 2 turnovers. That sort of play might be uncharacteristic for the Titans, but it's not for the Ravens. That's how they win. They get by on offense, Flacco doesn't make mistakes, and the defense causes turnovers and terrorizes the other team's offense. That's why I think the Ravens earned this victory and it wasn't a fluke - it's consistent with how they win. I don't think a conclusive argument can be made that the Titans are a better team. If you want to bring "shoulda" into it, the Ravens shoulda won the first meeting. Both were close, low-scoring, hard hitting games. On a more subjective level, I never bought into the Titans as an elite team during the season. They just didn't "feel" like one. Heading into the playoffs, I thought they had the third best chance to win the AFC, after the Colts and Steelers. Take it for what it's worth. the Giants didn't look like an elite team last year, and they won the Super Bowl.

The Cardinals shocked me. I thought they had a chance to win if they ran the ball like last week, but I certainly didn't expect THAT. Jake Delhomme can just NOT be trusted in the playoffs (save that one magical year.) He takes chances like Brett Favre but doesn't have the arm. Why did the Panthers not keep running after that dominant first drive?? They ran SEVEN times in the first half. Breakdown in coaching and complete meltdown at QB. I wonder if the Cards saw something on tape or if it was just one of those games.

I hate making predictions that include a final score, but just for fun:

Giants 27, Eagles 13
I see this as one of those games that stays close most of the way until one team pulls away at the end to make for sort of a lopsided score. RB play is the key. If Jacobs is still banged up or Westbrook goes off, this score could be reversed.

Chargers 20, Steelers 17
The Chargers have mojo, and I have zero confidence in Ben Roethlisberger, healthy or not. The Charger defense has stepped up lately, and Gates looked great against the Colts. They'll need someone besides Sproles to run though - I don't see him having a great game on the ground against the Steelers. Maybe they can get 15 carries out of Michael Bennett and Jacob Hester.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't been paying attention to the NFL, so I just now looked at the final standings. What a horrible system the league has when 8-8 San Diego goes to the playoffs over the 11-5 Patriots.

And I hate both the Ravens and the Titans. Both teams exist as a result of slimeball tactics by their owners, and I have rooted against both of them out of principle.

Even though I still like Jeff Fisher.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I haven't been paying attention to the NFL, so I just now looked at the final standings. What a horrible system the league has when 8-8 San Diego goes to the playoffs over the 11-5 Patriots.

I agree that sometimes the system causes some curious playoff results. But if you're going to have divisions, you have to reward a team for winning one. Otherwise, what's the point? You want division rivals to be competing with each other for a tangible reward. Besides, look at San Diego and Arizona. They were the two division winners that people said shouldn't have been in the playoffs - and they both won playoff games, beating excellent teams that finished 12-4.

In the end, I think no system would be perfect, and I can live with the one they have. I like knowing that if my team beats its bitter division rivals, there is more than bragging rights at stake.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have never seen a more inept team than the Giants. They're giving me a headache. What a disgrace. I am blind with rage and hatred. I'm numb. What a disaster. And to Philly no less. I am JocktheMotie's bitter disappointment.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
As I've told all my Giants fan friends for years... Plaxico is the only reason Eli appears as good as he is. He bailed the fuck out of him countless times, it's insane how much he helped him.

Great job by the defense as well. Brodrick Bunkley was immense today. Asante with the hands was key, he can be counted on to make those sure plays. A lot of corners are incapable of securing some of those easy ones. I like the linebacking core as well, for the longest time they had a shit group. Bradley and Gocong really help with their size and athleticism.