• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Star Trek's Federation Fascist?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the Alliance is meant to be a future world communist government of Chinese extraction (its not very subtly so).

The implicit critique in the show is of the Alliance as "perfectionist", and specifically "utopian".

The experiment out on the limits of space which leads to the rise of the Reavers, who I always thought were bad impressions of Chaos marines from the 40K mythos, which they attempted to explain in the movie Serenity, was s straight forward update of the Jekyll and Hyde story. Like I really and truly think the writers made a balls of that. I really think they were torn between a 40K style story, a liberal sprinkling of post-modern Nietzsche lite and what it basically was, mad science will make people perfectly good vs mad science makes everyone mad.

There was a ton of commentary on the Firefly show back in the day, I remember some of the commentators who were popular with the US militia scene, like Claire Wolfe, writing about it, a lot of people talked about it being neo-conservative while others pointed to the fact that it was from the same people as wrote Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

It could be a bit more complicated than "confederates in space" but its not a million miles of the mark I would say, the Alliance does not seem that bad so far as sci fi commie futures go.

If you're looking for space fascists they exist, the mirror universe in Star Trek, which I had not realised was as big a part as it turns out of the latest iteration of Star Trek on Netflix, which I dont hate so much as some of them, there's a series of novels from the mirror universe too. There's also the peacekeepers in Farscape, I know the fans resurrected that show but it was never the same, likewise with the series about the survivors of the partial nuclear strike in the US show.

The peacekeepers are totally fascist, I mean way worse than 40K even in their anti-xeno purging and stuff.

rise-again-robotrobotrobot.jpg

I'm no fan of the Alliance.

Lark

rise-again-robotrobotrobot.jpg

I'm no fan of the Alliance.

I just think they werent that awful compared to the peacekeepers.

I didnt think that the firefly crew and captain had much in the way of appeal for me, it could be because it did not run for very long but it was not like Jayneway, Picard, Kirk et al they had something firefly lacked.

The Cat

Staff member
I just think they werent that awful compared to the peacekeepers.

I didnt think that the firefly crew and captain had much in the way of appeal for me, it could be because it did not run for very long but it was not like Jayneway, Picard, Kirk et al they had something firefly lacked.

Network support.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why anyone would want to release a sci-fi show on Fox network is beyond me. Most don't make it past the second season.

The Cat

Staff member
Why anyone would want to release a sci-fi show on Fox network is beyond me. Most don't make it past the second season.

It wasnt always so...now its iffy to release a sci fi show on the former sci fi channel