• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm posting my e-mail answer I made to a friend who did not like The Last Jedi:

"The dice that Kylo picked up at the end, which then vanished, came from his father's spaceship (you can see them in Star Wars: A New Hope). Luke was correct in saying that Kylo is carrying his father with him. He claims he wants to let go of the past, but killing his father won't kill his presence in his mind or soul. So we see that Luke has achieved a higher form of wisdom that surpasses both sides of the Force. The fight scene between Luke and Kylo mirrors the one between Vader and Obi-wan, except that Luke did not actually fight back, they never crossed light sabers, he just dodged around, another indication that he has achieved a higher form of wisdom. And Luke was in fact a Force-illusion, which is symbolic of the illusions and delusions that Kylo hangs onto."

That was for people who can't see symbolism because they are Intuitards.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This video is approximately 45 minutes long, but well worth watching:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I loved it. I also loved The Force Awakens as both of these movies, TFA in particular, were made for people of my age range as well as little people that have no idea and I like them discovering the the thing with fascination and awe. But I don't feel any need to analyze it.

However, Adam Driver will always be Lena Dunham's loser boyfriend so it took me the entire two movies to move beyond that as I couldn't stand Girls and I'm projecting.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sequel trilogy is what happens when you mix better execution with weaker story, prequel trilogy is what happens when you ruin a good idea with limp direction and execution.

All of the SW films made since the original trilogy are kind of unmemorable shite for various reasons. Seriously, I can't remember much from TFA; it wasn't bad per se, just unmemorable. Just a few weeks after seeing the Last Jedi and I'd be hard pressed to explain the story concisely and coherently. Round up all of the new characters like Poe and Finn, they're just boring and unmemorable. I can give you a basic surface level description of each one, but beyond that, there's not much to explore. They're not even defined enough to be called archetypes. They're just empty prefab avatars.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If the Han Solo movie doesn't do well, I think Disney might nip this thing in the bud after episode 9. That isn't such a bad thing. Everything is saturated with bloody Star Wars ads and tie-ins. Car commercials reference it, there's bloody SW stickers on fruit in the grocery store. It's like 2005 all over again. How much can we milk this thing for revenue before audiences are sick of it? Answer, probably for a long time. Kill me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hope Mr. Plinkett does a review of this one. His reviews are usually more entertaining than the actual films.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even the music score for The Last Jedi is kind of unmemorable, and I'm one of the biggest fans of Williams and SW music, admitting that the scores were one of the few good things about the prequels and TFA.

You can usually expect to hear Williams reference old motifs whilst seamlessly incorporating multiple new motifs. Here, new music is fairly scarce and we instead get mostly old material just patched together lazily. It's like he isn't even trying anymore. Maybe Desplat or Giacchino should've replaced him. He phoned this one in.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
If the Han Solo movie doesn't do well, I think Disney might nip this thing in the bud after episode 9. That isn't such a bad thing. Everything is saturated with bloody Star Wars ads and tie-ins. Car commercials reference it, there's bloody SW stickers on fruit in the grocery store. It's like 2005 all over again. How much can we milk this thing for revenue before audiences are sick of it? Answer, probably for a long time. Kill me.
Disney has miles of ground left with which to run the franchise into. It's going to be a long LONG time before they do any nipping.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disney has miles of ground left with which to run the franchise into. It's going to be a long LONG time before they do any nipping.

Probably. SW fans are a mindless, forgiving bunch of sheep, as long as each movie has lots of pew pew lasers, lightsaber duels, and cliché dialogue about hopey hope and rebellions, the masses will probably continue to empty their wallets on movie tickets and cheap, made-in-china merch

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Probably. SW fans are a mindless, forgiving bunch of sheep, as long as each movie has lots of pew pew lasers, lightsaber duels, and cliché dialogue about hopey hope and rebellions, the masses will probably continue to empty their wallets on movie tickets and cheap, made-in-china merch

So deep.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this movie suffers from the same problems as the Angry Birds movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. My first comments on this forum about this (and yeah, I saw it on the Thursday way back when, when it opened?), since I have gone for some months.

I hated it when I saw it in the theater. Like, I walked out of the theater all pissed off about it, and I even felt shame for trusting Rian Johnson enough to talk him up to people who didn't know who he was -- I felt rather betrayed by what we got. It's the only thing he's directed that I've really disliked. Everything else -- Brothers Bloom, Looper, Brick, TV episodes he's done -- I at least enjoyed and even really got into.

This film? Gawd.

It wasn't because of any stupid political stuff either. I don't care whether there's a black person or a woman in charge, I don't care if he made white-guy Luke into a kind of cantankerous "get off my lawn" guy, all i care about is the story and whether it makes sense and whether it generates coherent emotion and engagement. This film wasn't it for me.

There were a bunch of really LAME jokes that I felt broke tone / trivialized the characters. They were jokes of the variety that you make sitting around with friends in a bar, just for laughs, but you would never actually DO in a REAL movie... except Johnson for some reason did. (Case in point -- the lawyer joke sequence, or milking large rubbery teats in a Star Wars film, or just a bunch of similar trite crap.)

Some of the character acted like idiots. For example, Poe acted like a disgruntled tween. Laura Dern's character was a presumptuous (read:Terrible) leader. Leia did force shit that there has been no HINT of her doing in the past (well, unless we find out she died in this film and was a force ghost all along), when considering Fisher is now gone would have been a convenient way to write her out.

The plot just felt so contrived -- both the rebels' neverending escape along with Rose and Finn's side mission (which I still kind of don't get -- the rebels are being chased, but everyone's flying off to god knows what planet and asteroid and then coming back in the middle of the ongoing chase). There's a huge scope problem, kind of like the same problem TWD has with firing endless rounds of bullets in a world where bullets should be priceless but they never seen to run out -- here, it's played up like some epic end-all battle between the alliance and the First Order, but the First Order seems pretty small at this point and the alliance seems almost gone too, so who cares? It was kind of established that the Empire at least was enmeshed in thousands of planets (because we got to see that in the Senate) -- here, it just seems like one small battle among many varieties of battles around the cosmos if it matters at all... Like maybe on one planet, there would be smugglers taking over and the local military would be fighting them, and on another planet a different battle for power is accruing... but I never get the sense that the First Order is really that big or the Alliance this small.

and so on. Even the soundtrack felt like a compilation / phoned in by Williams.

We find out nothing about Phasma. We find out nothing about Snoke. Apparently neither character mattered except as a plot device. Thanks, guys. In fact, pretty much everything that TFA set up, this film said, "Hell, screw it all." Did Johnson even WATCh the first film? Has he watched any Star Wars films at all? It wasn't apparent that he did. He's not much of a team player from a writer's POV; I have written collaborative stories before and this is NOT how to do it.

In fact, the ONE thing I liked was the interplay between Ben and Rey. That was all cool, typically -- the concept and the execution. Intriguing. I love it because they're enemies, yet akin to each other, simultaneously. They are connected for good or ill. But once again, apparently no one can make anything interesting in Star wars except for Force users.

BUT...

I try hard to be fair. So the film released this week on home video and I rewatched it tonight to give it a fair shake.

Much of my earlier objections still stand. I still think a lot of the film is contrived and dumb. However, I could now pick up larger currents and feel that I have a better sense of what Johnson was trying to do. I still think it failed in the sense of making an entertaining and meaningful film, but from an intellectual POV there's a lot of structure in this movie as a standalone. For example, Finn's trying to leave (even if just to find Rey), he's got an issue with running, and Rose stopping him .... played against the end where Finn decides to suicide into the cannon (thus, he's NOT running, he's the only one NOT running) and Rose SAVES him this time. It doesn't feel coherent to Rose's character, but from a script POV I can see Johnson was spinning it around. Same way with Luke announcing earlier in the film that what's Rey expect him to do, show up and defeat the entire army with a lightsaber? Well, the ending kinda seems like it could go that way... although it has a nice balance to it in how it plays out. And both Ben and Rey choosing to meet Snoke because both have foreseen what's going to happen -- and it turns out they were both correct in seeing what they saw, they just both interpreted it INCORRECTLY. (As a side note, it still did feel a bit dumb because in the first viewing I'm still not sure how Snoke didn't see what was happening when it was really obvious to me what Ben was going to do.... but I guess even Snoke had gotten in the habit of seeing things the way he wanted to see them. Whatever.)

This film was made up of a number of powerful "moments" that I don't feel were supported well by the rest of the film connecting them, unfortunately. Or there were concepts that are interesting in themselves but just not executed in the most meaningful well. I like films that I want to actually rewatch because they have power; I don't feel like this film has much power, it's rather flat. The whole subplot with Benicio, I'm not sure what they're trying to say aside from both sides are fighting and it's kind of dumb (because "good and evil" don't matter), so maybe they'll stop? But then Rey and Ben will seemingly represent the Jedi and well, whatever Ben is, anyway, so...? Or the film suggests the Jedi books can be discarded and are seemingly destroyed... but then it turns out Rey actually still has them, so... what lesson did we learn?

I DO actually really liked the revelation about Rey's parents, and how basically she has the past that Ben wished HE had -- he's spent all this time destroying his past so he can be free to be what he wants for himself, whereas Rey has nothing to tie her to anything, so she is entirely free to be what she wants... yet feels compelled to use the Force in a particular and heroic way. Both of them experience freedom differently ... Ben has to kill everything that tries to influence him so he can feel free (because his ego is actually weak), Rey is weak too in that she looks outside herself to be defined by others and doesn't know what to do in the face of having nothing there to show her what to be.

But then there are other moments, like Rey in the dark cave. Still not sure what I'm supposed to get out of that. Maybe the equitable scene in The Empire Strikes Back was more on the nose, but at least it was coherent. This was imagery without purpose, unless (as I just said above) it was just to suggest that Rey was free to define herself rather than be defined by the reflections of others. I dunno. Again, the experience of watching this movie was either flat or confusing, which makes it hard to feel a lot during it.

Long story short, I'd bump up my score to maybe a 3/5 on it. But I didn't buy a copy of the film, and I don't know if I'll watch it again.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For some things, Cheat Sheet is an online gossip rag and I don't trust it with political news (as an example). But there's some interesting stuff here about Star Wars...
'Star Wars: Episode IX': 1 Actor May Have Revealed a Huge Spoiler About Rey

While I think Jurassic World was kind of "ehhhh" and didn't mind Trevorrow being yanked, if his story ideas are what is described here, at least I can say he had a more cogent idea of how to work on a team to create a trilogy.

There's some interesting speculation about Snoke's ring. Maybe there is something to it. It would explain why Abrams hasn't seemed as concerned as some of the fan base.

The problem is it is still shoddy storytelling. You really don't want stuff coming out of left field... like what happened in The Walking Dead finale.

The viewership wants to feel like the films "play fair" -- stuff has to be suggested or more open to perception, as part of the naturally unfolding storyline versus something that completely seems like a blindside meant for the convenience of the plot. There was also a ton of fluff in the film that could have been better spent to set up all that foreshadowing / connective narrative tissue.

Abrams can actually salvage a lot in the next film but there's very little that won't feel like a pure retcon, unless he takes some kind of reasonable approach. And maybe it no longer matters.

The one line in the full article sums up my thoughts on the middle film:
...not only did it trash much of what people enjoyed about The Force Awakens, it hit the reset button two-thirds of the way through the trilogy

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay. My first comments on this forum about this (and yeah, I saw it on the Thursday way back when, when it opened?), since I have gone for some months.

I hated it when I saw it in the theater. Like, I walked out of the theater all pissed off about it, and I even felt shame for trusting Rian Johnson enough to talk him up to people who didn't know who he was -- I felt rather betrayed by what we got. It's the only thing he's directed that I've really disliked. Everything else -- Brothers Bloom, Looper, Brick, TV episodes he's done -- I at least enjoyed and even really got into.

This film? Gawd.

It wasn't because of any stupid political stuff either. I don't care whether there's a black person or a woman in charge, I don't care if he made white-guy Luke into a kind of cantankerous "get off my lawn" guy, all i care about is the story and whether it makes sense and whether it generates coherent emotion and engagement. This film wasn't it for me.

There were a bunch of really LAME jokes that I felt broke tone / trivialized the characters. They were jokes of the variety that you make sitting around with friends in a bar, just for laughs, but you would never actually DO in a REAL movie... except Johnson for some reason did. (Case in point -- the lawyer joke sequence, or milking large rubbery teats in a Star Wars film, or just a bunch of similar trite crap.)

Some of the character acted like idiots. For example, Poe acted like a disgruntled tween. Laura Dern's character was a presumptuous (read:Terrible) leader. Leia did force shit that there has been no HINT of her doing in the past (well, unless we find out she died in this film and was a force ghost all along), when considering Fisher is now gone would have been a convenient way to write her out.

The plot just felt so contrived -- both the rebels' neverending escape along with Rose and Finn's side mission (which I still kind of don't get -- the rebels are being chased, but everyone's flying off to god knows what planet and asteroid and then coming back in the middle of the ongoing chase). There's a huge scope problem, kind of like the same problem TWD has with firing endless rounds of bullets in a world where bullets should be priceless but they never seen to run out -- here, it's played up like some epic end-all battle between the alliance and the First Order, but the First Order seems pretty small at this point and the alliance seems almost gone too, so who cares? It was kind of established that the Empire at least was enmeshed in thousands of planets (because we got to see that in the Senate) -- here, it just seems like one small battle among many varieties of battles around the cosmos if it matters at all... Like maybe on one planet, there would be smugglers taking over and the local military would be fighting them, and on another planet a different battle for power is accruing... but I never get the sense that the First Order is really that big or the Alliance this small.

and so on. Even the soundtrack felt like a compilation / phoned in by Williams.

We find out nothing about Phasma. We find out nothing about Snoke. Apparently neither character mattered except as a plot device. Thanks, guys. In fact, pretty much everything that TFA set up, this film said, "Hell, screw it all." Did Johnson even WATCh the first film? Has he watched any Star Wars films at all? It wasn't apparent that he did. He's not much of a team player from a writer's POV; I have written collaborative stories before and this is NOT how to do it.

In fact, the ONE thing I liked was the interplay between Ben and Rey. That was all cool, typically -- the concept and the execution. Intriguing. I love it because they're enemies, yet akin to each other, simultaneously. They are connected for good or ill. But once again, apparently no one can make anything interesting in Star wars except for Force users.

BUT...

I try hard to be fair. So the film released this week on home video and I rewatched it tonight to give it a fair shake.

Much of my earlier objections still stand. I still think a lot of the film is contrived and dumb. However, I could now pick up larger currents and feel that I have a better sense of what Johnson was trying to do. I still think it failed in the sense of making an entertaining and meaningful film, but from an intellectual POV there's a lot of structure in this movie as a standalone. For example, Finn's trying to leave (even if just to find Rey), he's got an issue with running, and Rose stopping him .... played against the end where Finn decides to suicide into the cannon (thus, he's NOT running, he's the only one NOT running) and Rose SAVES him this time. It doesn't feel coherent to Rose's character, but from a script POV I can see Johnson was spinning it around. Same way with Luke announcing earlier in the film that what's Rey expect him to do, show up and defeat the entire army with a lightsaber? Well, the ending kinda seems like it could go that way... although it has a nice balance to it in how it plays out. And both Ben and Rey choosing to meet Snoke because both have foreseen what's going to happen -- and it turns out they were both correct in seeing what they saw, they just both interpreted it INCORRECTLY. (As a side note, it still did feel a bit dumb because in the first viewing I'm still not sure how Snoke didn't see what was happening when it was really obvious to me what Ben was going to do.... but I guess even Snoke had gotten in the habit of seeing things the way he wanted to see them. Whatever.)

This film was made up of a number of powerful "moments" that I don't feel were supported well by the rest of the film connecting them, unfortunately. Or there were concepts that are interesting in themselves but just not executed in the most meaningful well. I like films that I want to actually rewatch because they have power; I don't feel like this film has much power, it's rather flat. The whole subplot with Benicio, I'm not sure what they're trying to say aside from both sides are fighting and it's kind of dumb (because "good and evil" don't matter), so maybe they'll stop? But then Rey and Ben will seemingly represent the Jedi and well, whatever Ben is, anyway, so...? Or the film suggests the Jedi books can be discarded and are seemingly destroyed... but then it turns out Rey actually still has them, so... what lesson did we learn?

I DO actually really liked the revelation about Rey's parents, and how basically she has the past that Ben wished HE had -- he's spent all this time destroying his past so he can be free to be what he wants for himself, whereas Rey has nothing to tie her to anything, so she is entirely free to be what she wants... yet feels compelled to use the Force in a particular and heroic way. Both of them experience freedom differently ... Ben has to kill everything that tries to influence him so he can feel free (because his ego is actually weak), Rey is weak too in that she looks outside herself to be defined by others and doesn't know what to do in the face of having nothing there to show her what to be.

But then there are other moments, like Rey in the dark cave. Still not sure what I'm supposed to get out of that. Maybe the equitable scene in The Empire Strikes Back was more on the nose, but at least it was coherent. This was imagery without purpose, unless (as I just said above) it was just to suggest that Rey was free to define herself rather than be defined by the reflections of others. I dunno. Again, the experience of watching this movie was either flat or confusing, which makes it hard to feel a lot during it.

Long story short, I'd bump up my score to maybe a 3/5 on it. But I didn't buy a copy of the film, and I don't know if I'll watch it again.

Sounds like how I felt when I left the theatre after Trek 2009

The thing about Snoke though, it never really mattered what his origins or motivations were. Going back and watching RotJ, it became clear to me that Palpatine was not any more developed (isn’t even identified by name in the film). That came later, with EU and prequels. Hell, we don’t even hear the title “sith lord” until ep 1. The Emperor was little more than a one dimensional archetype, a plot device, until they expanded the character later.

Sure it bugged me a bit about Snoke, but there will probably be EU material and possibly exposition in the next film to better explain exactly who he is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like how I felt when I left the theatre after Trek 2009

The thing about Snoke though, it never really mattered what his origins or motivations were. Going back and watching RotJ, it became clear to me that Palpatine was not any more developed (isn’t even identified by name in the film). That came later, with EU and prequels. Hell, we don’t even hear the title “sith lord” until ep 1. The Emperor was little more than a one dimensional archetype, a plot device, until they expanded the character later.

I think that was a failing of the original movies, to be honest. We get a little more in the prequel but not much. The new films were supposed to be more solid from a drama POV and give some more depth to the characters. Like I said, my main issue is just setting up a character for the next guy to psychotically kill him for no apparent reason is just shitty collaboration style (and the whole Phasma character is another who has been completely pointless to even have); it reminds me more of the screw-around kind of collaborative stories I used to write with friends in college, where someone would come in and murder off a bunch of other people's characters and/or cut short the plotlines they set up purposefully in order to troll / FU the other writers.

Sure it bugged me a bit about Snoke, but there will probably be EU material and possibly exposition in the next film to better explain exactly who he is.

Whatever. I kinda stopped caring. Like I said, I haven't even bought TLJ on bluray and kinda have lost my enthusiasm for more films at the moment. I'm expecting Solo in May to probably drive the nails of discontent deeper.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that was a failing of the original movies, to be honest. We get a little more in the prequel but not much. The new films were supposed to be more solid from a drama POV and give some more depth to the characters. Like I said, my main issue is just setting up a character for the next guy to psychotically kill him for no apparent reason is just shitty collaboration style (and the whole Phasma character is another who has been completely pointless to even have); it reminds me more of the screw-around kind of collaborative stories I used to write with friends in college, where someone would come in and murder off a bunch of other people's characters and/or cut short the plotlines they set up purposefully in order to troll / FU the other writers.

Whatever. I kinda stopped caring. Like I said, I haven't even bought TLJ on bluray and kinda have lost my enthusiasm for more films at the moment. I'm expecting Solo in May to probably drive the nails of discontent deeper.

I think, more than anything else, the problem with SW has always been a lack of planning. This is especially apparent with the sequel trilogy. It seems like they’re just making them up as they go along at this point.

I don’t expect Solo to be great. Part of the problem with being a fan of something like SW for decades is that I get certain ideas of how things may have happened. In this case, how Han came to become friends with Lando and Chewie. I don’t see how it will be able to live up to any expectations long time fans have. Like, I had a very particular idea of how Obi and Anakin came to fight and how Anakin got maimed, but episode 3 gave us an overlong fight that was loaded with visual distractions, when I had pictured something more emotional and personal. Lots of CGI’ed lava and flying robots are no substitute for emotional depth

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think, more than anything else, the problem with SW has always been a lack of planning. This is especially apparent with the sequel trilogy. It seems like they’re just making them up as they go along at this point.

I felt like it was a lack of coordination. Sure, bring on three directors, but they have to work together to make an interesting story even if they each get to tell it in their own way. I just felt like it was too isolated -- one guys tells one story, then the second guy just basically makes his own movie without giving a shit about how it syncs up. Then Trevorrow got fired. It's just weird. I don't really get how they worked together, but it looks like it's been shoddy in terms of the process -- maybe they should just have one director tell one three-movie story... which ironically is now apparently what they are doing with JOHNSON at the helm. Go figure. Well, he's not a team player.

It's weird that the Solo guys were given so much chain to start with, if the studio planned to step in and hang them for it. It's like they really mismanaged the whole selection process, if they didn't gauge their directors up front -- it's like we're seeing too much slack on one end, then Disney gets psycho and just jerks the chain hard when they decide it's not working for them. Like, maybe a bit more management and staff selection earlier in the process would be useful, rather than too much control expressed too late in the process?

I don’t expect Solo to be great. Part of the problem with being a fan of something like SW for decades is that I get certain ideas of how things may have happened. In this case, how Han came to become friends with Lando and Chewie. I don’t see how it will be able to live up to any expectations long time fans have. Like, I had a very particular idea of how Obi and Anakin came to fight and how Anakin got maimed, but episode 3 gave us an overlong fight that was loaded with visual distractions, when I had pictured something more emotional and personal. Lots of CGI’ed lava and flying robots are no substitute for emotional depth

Yeah, the very idea of the movie was probably too dangerous to be successful. Like, just tell new stories.

Although I'm kind of unclear what you expected in a "fight." I mean, a fight is a fight. I don't need emotional depth in a fight -- I need it in the rest of the damned movie rather than expecting it to come out in the fight. It was the "deepest" of all three prequels but really wasn't that deep regardless.

I actually liked the fierceness of the fight, or at least the opening. The first minute or so was breathtakingly insane, I'm surprised Obiwan stood up to that assault.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although I'm kind of unclear what you expected in a "fight." I mean, a fight is a fight. I don't need emotional depth in a fight -- I need it in the rest of the damned movie rather than expecting it to come out in the fight. It was the "deepest" of all three prequels but really wasn't that deep regardless.

I actually liked the fierceness of the fight, or at least the opening. The first minute or so was breathtakingly insane, I'm surprised Obiwan stood up to that assault.

OK, so if you compare RotJ end fight with TESB end fight, it's not any more physically brutal than the TESB duel, but there's a lot more at stake because of the emotions Luke and Vader (credit to David Prowse for capturing that with his gestures and physicality, he doesn't get enough praise) are going through, plus the Emperor is there sort of laughing and egging them on, which also adds to the intensity. It tops the ESB duel not necessarily by being a more brutal, better choreograpged or more action-packed fight, but in the emotional subtext.

With the RotSith end duel, and pretty much every prequel duel, it just felt like Lucas was constantly trying to outdo the previous duel with visuals and choreography. It doesn't necessarily have to be "bigger and better" every single time. One thing I'll say the Prequels has done better is getting away from what I feel were overly choreographed duels in the prequels.

And yeah, the opening was good, but it went on waaay too long. I get it, they're pretty much evenly matched and it all comes down to whoever makes the first mistake, but it could've been edited down a bit. I found the Yoda vs Palpatine duel way more entertaining, especially after they went from sabers to dueling with force use. Felt like a wizard battle.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, so if you compare RotJ end fight with TESB end fight, it's not any more physically brutal than the TESB duel, but there's a lot more at stake because of the emotions Luke and Vader (credit to David Prowse for capturing that with his gestures and physicality, he doesn't get enough praise) are going through, plus the Emperor is there sort of laughing and egging them on, which also adds to the intensity. It tops the ESB duel not necessarily by being a more brutal, better choreograpged or more action-packed fight, but in the emotional subtext.

I dunno. It all felt so choreographed and like one big predictable morality play to me. So 80's.

lucas is a visuals guy. I don't think he knows much about how to direct for emotional impact.

With the RotSith end duel, and pretty much every prequel duel, it just felt like Lucas was constantly trying to outdo the previous duel with visuals and choreography. It doesn't necessarily have to be "bigger and better" every single time. One thing I'll say the Prequels has done better is getting away from what I feel were overly choreographed duels in the prequels.

Yeah. I also think if he wanted a "bigger badder" fight, he could have simply stopped cutting his fights all to hell. The Darth Maul fight is pretty great (despite the rather meh ending) and it is repeatedly undermined in terms of tension by how Lucas cuts away from to something else less exciting. Sometimes these kinds of cuts can work, but only from a writer and director where the emotional resonance is building throughout.

(Two effective dual cut sequences include the Mr. Incredible Hacks Syndrome / Elastigirl + Edna bit from The Incredibles; and Galaxy of the Guardians 2 where Peter is having his eyes opened to the beauty of Ego's plan played against Gamora / Nebula finding the cavern of bones, etc.) It can work, but you really have to work at it.

I don't really think Lucas gets "emotional current / resonance," he doesn't seem to really feel it. It's why his lines fall dead on the ground, for one.

And yeah, the opening was good, but it went on waaay too long. I get it, they're pretty much evenly matched and it all comes down to whoever makes the first mistake, but it could've been edited down a bit. I found the Yoda vs Palpatine duel way more entertaining, especially after they went from sabers to dueling with force use. Felt like a wizard battle.

Well, the ending was definitely dumb. How many times did either have the high ground throughout the freaking fight? But this time I guess well it mattered. Durrrr....

Yoda vs Palpatine was pretty entertaining if kind of dumb. I mean, it's not a fight that gets me emotionally intense but it was really fun to watch, there was a kind of exhilaration about it. Ian McDiarmid can take some of the credit for that. He always had fun playing the Emperor, from what I could tell.