• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Early reports says this is the best film since the Empire Strikes Back. I'm pumped, at any rate. For some reason, there's a theater near me showing it on Thursday, not Friday.

Since Empire? Man that’s a hard act to follow. Empire is still my favorite. I’ll be psyched if it’s true.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since Empire? Man that’s a hard act to follow. Empire is still my favorite. I’ll be psyched if it’s true.

Well, that was what one person said. Another person said that it's been the best film since the OT, but I've found that to be true for every movie in the Disney era. TFA was better than ROTS, but RO was better than TFA.

And to be honest, I probably prefer Jedi to Empire, although Empire is probably the better film. I just like seeing Luke at the height of his powers, and the dual and space battle are pretty awesome, although I admit that the stuff with the Ewoks is kind of weak.

Well, that was what one person said. Another person said that it's been the best film since the OT, but I've found that to be true for every movie in the Disney era. TFA was better than ROTS, but RO was better than TFA.

And to be honest, I probably prefer Jedi to Empire, although Empire is probably the better film. I just like seeing Luke at the height of his powers, and the dual and space battle are pretty awesome, although I admit that the stuff with the Ewoks is kind of weak.
Aside from a complete lack of Ewoks, I always liked Empire because it was the middle film or middle of the story where things seem bleakest. Plus Vader at the top of his game. I’m a dour fellow. lol

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'd like it if they'd been able to do their original idea of the Wookie planet instead of Ewoks. Otherwise, Jedi is a damn solid film. It does feel a bit rushed but I think that is often the problem with third parts in trilogies. It's always hard to follow a really powerful second act. Jedi feels like one long resolution after the climax of the previous film, but then I suppose that was sort of the point. It certainly had the best space battles, they still look good to this day, that's saying a lot. I'd actually like it if Han died in Jedi, like Ford wanted. His character doesn't feel as necessary, he sort of just putters around for a good portion of the movie, and he acts a bit like an oaf, maybe the time in carbon freeze damaged his brain. He should've been in the space battle with Lando and Wedge. Perhaps he sacrifices himself to destroy the death star or something, a la Randy Quaid in Independence Day :laugh:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a feeling Luke isn't going to make it to the end of this trilogy alive. I have mostly been avoiding trailers, btw. I want to go into this film with absolutely zero expectations.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd like it if they'd been able to do their original idea of the Wookie planet instead of Ewoks. Otherwise, Jedi is a damn solid film. It does feel a bit rushed but I think that is often the problem with third parts in trilogies. It's always hard to follow a really powerful second act. Jedi feels like one long resolution after the climax of the previous film, but then I suppose that was sort of the point. It certainly had the best space battles, they still look good to this day, that's saying a lot. I'd actually like it if Han died in Jedi, like Ford wanted. His character doesn't feel as necessary, he sort of just putters around for a good portion of the movie, and he acts a bit like an oaf, maybe the time in carbon freeze damaged his brain. He should've been in the space battle with Lando and Wedge. Perhaps he sacrifices himself to destroy the death star or something, a la Randy Quaid in Independence Day :laugh:

Well, Ford got his wish eventually, hah.

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
So excited! Tomorrow!!! :D

When I was a kid, RotJ was my favorite because of Ewoks, powerful Luke and how pretty Leia was with her hair down at the end. :rofl1:

Now that I've seen them enough times to quote, Empire is my all-time favorite movie of any genre.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saw it. Almost exactly what I wanted from a Star WArs movie.

And no, it's nothing like the Empire Strikes Back.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Looking at Reddit now and reading the leak subreddit. God, fanboys are the worst.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enjoyed it but still think Rogue One was much better.

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I loved it. It wasn't what I expected, but it was exactly what it needed to be.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I loved it. It wasn't what I expected, but it was exactly what it needed to be.

So much this. Combined with Rogue One, I'm getting the Star Wars movies I always wanted. I didn't hate the prequels as much as some, but I accept that they are flawed films. TFA was better, but a little too safe narratively and visually, and it's biggest surprise was too predictable because of the way it was shot.

I have no idea how my theater got away with showing it a day early, but I'm glad they did. There was one cheesy moment that's kind of already getting hammered to death, but let's face the facts that Star Wars has had cheese ever since Luke complained about power convertors. People even make fun of beloved Empire's most famous moment all the time.

I always wondered what it must have been like to see the OT in theaters when they were new ( I saw the Special Editions in 97 which really helped make me a fan, although I'd seen ANH and Empire on video before). This really gave me that feeling. I felt like I was 10 years old, watching the trench run again. And dare I say it, I even found it inspiring?

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I saw the originals in the theater, though I don't remember A New Hope. I was very young.

I thought the cheesy moments were perfect. Even the best of the Star Wars films had their share of cheese. I love it. Our theater clapped and cheered several times.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Enjoyed it but still think Rogue One was much better.

It was actually a more upbeat movie than Rogue One, I felt. I love Rogue One too, but I really like the final notes this one hit, especially these days. It's hard to say which one I enjoy more. Both handle a feeling of desperation well, but this one had a bit more humor and optimism along with that. I think I'll give the edge to TLJ.

Again, I'm so happy that the dumb theories are wrong.

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I couldn't agree more about the dumb theories. I think this one set the next one up perfectly.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I couldn't agree more about the dumb theories. I think this one set the next one up perfectly.

I almost liked this post, and then I remembered that I took a vow to never do that again. I still approve, though.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's a slow, mostly forgettable rehashing of the empire strikes back (in reverse, kind of). I felt like either nothing was happening, or too much was happening all at once and too quickly. Lots of political subtext to pander to the SJW kiddies. The fan pandering was much better. I chuckled a couple times, particularly hard when they busted out the rickety bullshit speeders on Hoth 2.0. Both Luke and Leia are well done, same goes for all the actors (though I didn't particularly care for benecio del toro or the chinese awkward cliche girl).

Still nowhere near as good as any of the original trilogy. Not likely better than part 7.