• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is 13 Reasons Why Netflex Series any good?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have anyone here watched 13 Reasons Why on Netflex, and what did you think of it?

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
The following does not contain spoilers. It contains some of my overall thoughts of the show without going into episode details.

Actually, I was thinking of making a lengthy post about this show and my feelings toward it. But I think I'll try to keep it short.

I found the concept really interesting and people were talking about it online, so I decided to give it a go.

The journey was painful, obviously, but pretty good.

There are only 13 episodes, so each episode contains one of the 13 reasons. Quite frankly, I found 3 of the reasons to be rather baffling and nonsensical. I could understand why they were reasons to feel perhaps a bit guilty or whatever. But as for including them as reasons for committing suicide, I am just at a loss. For those curious, I am talking about reasons 9, 10, and 11. I'm not saying I don't understand her suicide, but I just don't understand why these were some of the reasons. I can go into more detail if needed.

Also, the ending was absolutely terrible. The 13th reason was very haunting, so that's not what I'm getting at. And I've seen my share of bad endings to shows. But I think even Dexter had a better ending than this. Because at least it was an ending and at least it had some reasoning behind it. Was it unsatisfying? Yes. Did it leave some things open ended? Yes. But, again, it had some semblance of an ending.

How does 13 Reasons Why end? It just doesn't. It leaves EVERYTHING open ended and feels like the writers just said "fuck it" and walked out of the building when they were getting a good story going. There should have been an aftermath episode or even an aftermath portion of an episode, but there wasn't. Leaving some things open ended is perfectly fine. But that just didn't happen.

Would I recommend it? Sure, if you forgive the ending. But be aware that there are some scenes in the show that may trigger some people. There tends to be a warning that precedes episodes with stronger scenes like this.

Ingrid in grids

I'm up to episode 10.

I'm finding the series slow-moving and not very satisfying.

But I tend to commit to my series and follow them through to the end, whether they be good or bad.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I made it about 20 minutes into the pilot. I might or might not continue, it's just pretty flat and not quite clear what the point is. Does it get any better?

(not really the fault of the actors, mainly the writing. I like the guy playing Clay -- Dylan Minnette -- he's been in other TV shows I've enjoyed as well as in doing a stellar turn in Don't Breathe last spring, I think...)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I made it about 20 minutes into the pilot. I might or might not continue, it's just pretty flat and not quite clear what the point is. Does it get any better?

(not really the fault of the actors, mainly the writing. I like the guy playing Clay -- Dylan Minnette -- he's been in other TV shows I've enjoyed as well as in doing a stellar turn in Don't Breathe last spring, I think...)

I'm on ep 2 and think it's pretty good. Hannah Baker does ramble a lot, and it gets more into the first reason later in the pilot. I guess it depends what you look for in shows. I like though provoking stuff, and I think 13 reasons why is pretty though provoking so far. Though I know you're older, so that might make it less enjoyable for you since the characters are high schoolers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm on ep 2 and think it's pretty good. Hannah Baker does ramble a lot, and it gets more into the first reason later in the pilot. I guess it depends what you look for in shows. I like though provoking stuff, and I think 13 reasons why is pretty though provoking so far. Though I know you're older, so that might make it less enjoyable for you since the characters are high schoolers.

I just couldn't even figure out what the plot was. A girl kills herself, I guess, and a boy gets a box. But it was like 20 minutes of aimlessness / filler dialogue. That's what made it boring for me.

I still have a kid in high school, it's not like I am divorced from high school realities.

I'll probably try to push through 1-2 episodes to see if anything clicks.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just couldn't even figure out what the plot was. A girl kills herself, I guess, and a boy gets a box. But it was like 20 minutes of aimlessness / filler dialogue. That's what made it boring for me.

I still have a kid in high school, it's not like I am divorced from high school realities.

I'll probably try to push through 1-2 episodes to see if anything clicks.

Well the point is that everyone who gets the tape is one the reason why she kills herself. But yeah, it does start slow at the beginning

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well the point is that everyone who gets the tape is one the reason why she kills herself.

Yeah, that is the premise.

It's kind of a bummer when everyone has already been complaining about the ending. It's not a lot of motivation to sit through 13 hour-long episodes or however long it is. :)

vierkant

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Quite frankly, I found 3 of the reasons to be rather baffling and nonsensical. I could understand why they were reasons to feel perhaps a bit guilty or whatever. But as for including them as reasons for committing suicide, I am just at a loss. For those curious, I am talking about reasons 9, 10, and 11. I'm not saying I don't understand her suicide, but I just don't understand why these were some of the reasons. I can go into more detail if needed.

hmm.. i can easily understand why the events of episode 9, 10 and 11 have such big impact on her and why she would include them as reasons, even more than the first few reasons actually. i honestly think the last few episodes gave a bit more dept to her suicide, it goes beyond being just personal, even though i still found Hannah's overall logic extremely shallow and black and white.

overall i thought it was an ok show. i didn't think it was too long or too boring, but the acting wasn't always very believable and it wasn't very realistic, most characters were stereotypical and one dimensional, but that's to be expected with show like this.

there is a lot of critique about her suicide and especially her as character (and how simple they made it look), which i can totally understand. the show is not a good representation of mental illness, most of the time i couldn't feel or believed it. it simplified actually every aspect of it, it says 1 + 1 + 1 = death, but it's not so much about her psychological problems. but i actually think the show was not directed at people who deal with mental illness themselves, but to make people (around them) be more aware of how much impact you can have on other people, then again the show itself forgot how much impact they would have..

Trash Panda

Retired
Is it not basically a teen love story drama where one of the teens commits suicide? hetero relationships bore me. particularly when they're teenagers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just hate-watched the rest of the episodes. I am glad that I can now move on with my life.

hahaha -- what a ringing endorsement.

It was a holiday weekend + The Leftovers and Better Call Saul had new episodes. I'll get through episode 1 at some point...

I think the last series I hate-watched an entire season of was Season 1 of Hemlock Grove.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Hannah's an asshole tbh, though I think it just makes the whole situation more complicated and gray.