• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The saddest song you've ever heard?

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm personally obsessed with sad music, for whatever reason. Not because I want to be edgy, or because I'm depressed, I just find it to be particularly moving; impactful in a way that touches the very core of the human spirit.

My example is from the recent Mount Eerie album: A Crow Looked at Me.

Phil Elverum's (Mount Eerie) wife, Genevieve, died from pancriatic cancer leaving behind Phil and their daughter, this album is essentially his reflection of what that means for the family she left behind, this song in particular deals with immediately after.

This song:

Hits me like nothing I've experienced before. It's such an earnest and raw depiction of what one feels after something like this, a masterpiece.

Anyway, link your songs below.

Last edited:

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm fine with that, a personal song can be a window into your soul. In saying that, it remains to be chosen based upon whether or not you're comfortable with posting it.
[MENTION=28104]wool[/MENTION]

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say it's the saddest, but one of my favorites

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Anime-Boy-Broken-Heart-Photos-5281.jpg

Always has and still makes me cry...different reasons...

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That one Sarah McLaughlin jam with the dying doggos

Taibreah

It is not exactly meant to be a sad song, but the message behind it is meant to be an eye-opener of sorts and can spark emotions. I got chills and wanted to cry when I first saw the video.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" by Radiohead

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was kind of sad but also good in a way

Then there is this one

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
"Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" by Radiohead

R A D I O HEAD

Seriously, I can't think of any band that just hits so close to that 'hello existential despair my old friend' feel, and on top of that i've got a comedy clip to illustrate how:

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

That’s why its lyrics are just a bunch of mini-stories or visual images as opposed to a cohesive explanation of its meaning. I used images set to the music that I thought would convey the emotional entirety of the lyric and music working together. That’s what’s meant by ‘all these things you’ll one day swallow whole’. I meant the emotional entirety, because I didn’t have it in me to articulate the emotion. I’d crack…​

Nobody does atmospheric depression like Radiohead :D

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
The torturous 3rd movement of Shostakovich's 5th symphony is probably #1 for me.

There are so many different kinds of sadness, and each of these pieces/songs evokes a very different flavour.

Dismal - Wagner's Tristan und Isolde Prelude to Act 3

Funebral - Faure's Requiem, Introit et Kyrie

Melancholic - How it ends by Devotchka

Wistful resignation - Mahler's Symphony 9, 4th movement

Forlorn - Tchaikovsky Pathetique Symphony, 4th movement

Lonely - Tchaikovsky's "None but the Lonely Hearts"

Last edited: